AXR Clunk Bracket Review

yea man, i know this guy personally. his product is amazing and well constructed...you toss these bad boys on (he includes instructions) and once every 7k or so, when you change your oil, you just quickly grease the bushing and boom..never hear another damn squeak ever again and you wont have to replace the bushings!

best 200 bucks ever spent

definitely agree. I spoke to karl on the phone for quite sometime.. a great guy who knows what he's doing and stands behind his product.

one of the best things you can do to the msp. anyone i meet on the street with one and they tell me about suspension woes i mention it.. should be one of the first things you get for the car.

i loved mine..... went through many rear swaybar setups on the p5 until i settled on these.

it was the way racingbeat wanted the bar to be bolted on, mazda just cheaped out and reused regular protege mounting points.

Oh i did, and it was very insightful. I know this fixes the clunking... i had my bushings replaced 3 or 4 times... but the squeaking, is that eliminated too?

Very much so; the squeaking is the coming from the rear sway bar assembly. I had the rear-end squeaks and it was god-awful. I hated driving my car. The bracket put an end to it.

Ordering mine right now.

Im too busy to install them myself, so when I have a new exhaust fitted soon, i'll just have em thrown on then. Cant wait!

good choice! you're gonna love it labor should be around an hour and half at most... most dealerships won't touch it so bring it to a shop that's used to aftermarket type stuff.

The dealer gave me this clunk fix kit free when I went in a couple months ago to get some center caps, just had it lying around lol. After the install i still have clunk just a little less. My stock bushings were ****** but now i believe the problem is either in the endlinks themselves or upper strut mounts. At least i know what it isn't I guess lol

your dealer carries this clunk fix? damn thats crazy, i know they used to supply different bushings thats it, does your dealer vender aftermarket equipment?

your dealer carries this clunk fix? damn thats crazy, i know they used to supply different bushings thats it, does your dealer vender aftermarket equipment?

Yeah i was surprised. They don't necessarily carry it they just ordered a bunch of them for when this was a big issue (when the protege was still in the lineup) and had one left over. Didn't even charge me for it. The owner of the dealership just doesn't like to be a typical wait for mazda to fix it kind of guy. i wish all dealers had that level of customer service. Lucky for me I guess.

Honda dealer is like that here too (checks my codes for free ;) $75 anywhere else). All the others are assholes.

damn, we have an evo dealer here luckily similar to that, 40 mins away but everyone goes there, as long as you have a "socalevo" sticker he discounts it

I just ordered some energy suspension bushings but that won't stop the clank and what not for much longer, i hope the maker will do another GB for the sake of us that don't have one .

So I've read all the comments on this thread and I'm definitely ordering this product right now. I use my MSP for work (not the best idea, I know) and I put waaaaay too many miles on it so you can imagine how fed up with the clunk/squeak I am by now. Anyways, I know my current bushings have to be shot, so anyone have a suggestion on some new bushings that would be great and where I could get them? I'm a real novice when it comes to this car stuff, but I want my MSP to be as enjoyable to drive as it can be.

Okay, so I'm definitely picking up one of these within a week.

But now, I have some questions.

The kit includes greasable bushings, yes? Are the bushings that come with the kit the Energy brand that a lot of people have mentioned? And are the bushings that come with the kit 19mm, not the 20mm stock size?

Just tryin' to figure out if I'm going to want to buy these smaller Energy bushings, if they're better than the ones that come with the kit .. cause if that's the case, maybe I'll see if I can order the kit without the greasable bushings.

Unless the greasable bushings that DO come with the kit work just fine?

Last edited:
Just take the kit with whatever size bushings it comes with. Track the life of them and also buy the 19mm size for backups (suspensionrestoration.com) and track the life you get with them when the originals finally die. I have seen a variety of life between the 2 sizes from other peoples replies on this forum. Each car seems to have a different response to the 2 sizes.

Also document each time you re-grease them to keep the data consistant.

367 (mp3yellow

I'll grab you some pics here in a little while.

Had mine installed about 2 weeks ago, and there is NO clunk. Its completely gone. However, i noticed right away there was still a little suspension noise, which is now a full fledged squeaking.

I'm gonna take it back and have it tightened, because it is horribly irritating, and much worse than before. The clunk is gone though, and if I can get the squeak to go away easily, then this is gonna be a great product that I'd recommend to everyone!

Back