AutoX & Track: what brake pads to use?

KCjohnny

I've been doing tons of research on new pads, and I am surprised at how quickly many people's OEM pads are wearing out. I have a 2007 Mazda 3 Sedan with 69,000 miles and I have YET to replace the pads (and that's with two track days recently).

I now want to get new pads all around (and bleed the brakes) for pure safety reasons, as I will be doing several more track days in the near future as well as autocross.

To all those who autocross and track their Mazda sedans, what pads are you using? After all the research I did, I have yet to find any solid proof that EBC or Hawk pads will perform better than my stock OEM pads.

Anyone? Bueller?

Depends on what pads you're comparing.

I've had a set of HP+ for a month or so, and they do a much better job than OE. You just have to get used to the fact that they eat rotors for breakfast, won't necessarily be quiet, and could be considered overkill.

Depends on what pads you're comparing.

I've had a set of HP+ for a month or so, and they do a much better job than OE. You just have to get used to the fact that they eat rotors for breakfast, won't necessarily be quiet, and could be considered overkill.

That's what I was worried about Major Error....I guess its the tradeoff for performance.

What's the shelf life for an OEM rotor on a Mazda 3 sedan when running those HP+??? I'm thinking it would be best to get new rotors to go with the new pads, and I've read good things about the Centric Blank/Solid Vented "Blacks".

(iagree)

I'll warn you now; the HP+ creates a lot of dust! The amount generated by OE over the course of a winter can be easily surpassed by the Hawks in a month. The dust is noticeable in a week, and looks horrendous after 2. On the OE wheels, I recommend using any cleaner that has Ammonia Fluorate (or ammonia bifluorate)
On rotor life, I heard from one of the RX-8 guys in our group that he went through 2 sets of rotors, and there was still plenty of life left in the pads...

As for centric rotors, link in the sig ;)

Major Error, what diameter tire are you running? I'm buying new tires and rims too, and was wondering if I should go bigger or not, especially since I want to lower the car a little, keeping in mind I want to autoX and track.

I currently have the OEM rims with Goodyear Eagle F1s 205/55-16 size (a fine all-season high performance tire I might add). But I want to buy an extreme performance summer tire to mount on a set of "racing" rims, that way I can swap to all-season performance tires when the winter hits. (I'm not ready to have a "track/autox" dedicated set of rims just yet)

Any recommendations on rims? Tire Rack has some Enkeis that were reasonably priced. Also, I'm about ready to place an order for the Dunlop Extreme Performance Summer Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs. I see you're running the Kumho Ecsta SPTs. Any input on the tires?

Thanks for all of your help and feedback!

I'm running my car in H Stock, so I have to stay on the OE snowflakes. Tires are stock size too.

If you're tracking/AX for fun, do what you want size-wise. If you're in it for the competition outside of stock class, I'd go smaller and lightweight--16" is the minimum on the 2.3L because of the front brakes.
Honestly, I don't think the 3 is all that competitive in ST (locally, they get beat by Eclipses and 89 Civics)

For a performance tire, the Star Spec are a good choice, as is the Kumho XS.

Hey Major, I'm just about ready to place an order for rotors, pads, ss brakelines and a few other things. Question on the standard Centric Rotors - any big difference between them and the Cryo-Stop rotors (also made by Centric)?

I think I'm going to go with the Centric black's, the Hawk HPS pads, and Goodridge SS lines. As for rim and tire size, that's a tough call, because I do want to get involved with competition AutoX. I guess I could get a larger size rim and tire for track days and "fun" autoX, and then use the OEM rims for competition autoX. Just means more tires to buy.

As majorerror sez: The Hawks make more brake dust in 5 miles than the OEM's make in 500 miles. It was bad enough for me that I went back to the OEM's and sold the (very slightly used) Hawks to a buddy. They did grab better, but they weren't available for the rear of the 2002 PR5, so the braking balance was upset by the odd combo.

Wow, that's pretty bad for dust....didn't realize it was so much more. The OEMs are pretty good in general, but I thought the Hawk HPS would be a huge improvement in performance. Maybe its not so much of an improvement after all.

The HPS+ did offer better performance, and maybe you can get backs for the MZ3, in 2002 they didn't make a rear set for the PR5. I just didn't auto-x enough to live with the dust.

I decided to go with the following for a brake upgrade. On the way are the following:

Centric Premium Plain Vented Rotors (Black)
Hawk High Performance Street Pads
Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Steel Brake Lines

I'll keep everyone posted on how this setup performs vs. the OEM rotors/pads/lines after installation.....

im using following;
stoptech blanks F+R
Axxis Ultimates F+R
ATP SS lines F+R
ATE superblue fluid

Axxis ultimates dust crazy, but they dont fade, they just keep on biting harder and harder, plus they are relatively inexpensive !!! love them so far

So this is what I actually did for a "performance updgrade" to my brakes:

Centric Premium vented blank rotors front, solid blanks rear
Hawk Performance Plus pads front and rear
Goodridge G-Stop stainless steel brake lines
Ate Super Blue Racing brake fluid

I had to go with the HP+ because no one had the rears for HPS.

The very next day I ran the car at an open track event, and put the setup to the test.

The stock brakes are great as is, and I had done a couple of open track days with the OEM. Its hard to say what component made the biggest difference, but I felt a little more confident with this setup over OEM - more than anything, the HP+ pads and flushing the brake fluid were probably the biggest bang for the buck.

Back