Autoblog CX-9 2012 review

Two weakest points of CX9 have always been
1) MPG
2) electronics (not electrics) - NAVI, SAT RADIO, REMOTE-START, etc. and their integration

I hope Mazda improve the (2). I am sure they will take care of (1) with Skyactiv tech.

Two weakest points of CX9 have always been
1) MPG
2) electronics (not electrics) - NAVI, SAT RADIO, REMOTE-START, etc. and their integration

I hope Mazda improve the (2). I am sure they will take care of (1) with Skyactiv tech.

Agreed! People who design the user friendliness of the CX9 gadgets (satnav, voice command, etc) should be flogged!

AHHHH, I am so jealous of everyone driving their CX-9's. Mine is still in the shop a week and a half later and I am tired of driving the piece of s*** Camery the rental car company gave me. The only thing I've been waiting on are two new wheels because the wheel shop can't get the color of the CX-9 wheels right. I was told that the new wheels were supposed to come in yesterday so hopefully today is the day I get it back.

good to see

First time poster long time troll great topic love the forum. Glad to see the good reviews continue to roll in. My wife and I are expecting our second in April and will be in need of a larger vehicle. Right now the CX9 is at the top of the list. Since I have some time I have the luxury of waiting to see what 2013 has in store before pulling the trigger. Looking forward to joining the club!

Agreed! People who design the user friendliness of the CX9 gadgets (satnav, voice command, etc) should be flogged!

I second your "agreed" wholeheartedly: the electronics are amazingly mediocre for a flagship vehicle. I have the 2008 CX-9, and I can truthfully say that I got better integration out of my old 2001 Audi, I was shocked to find that Mazda had not improved (and in some cases was even behind) on a 7 year-old car at the time. The Nav was especially disappointing, especially since it was DVD-based.

With that said, it's not a huge deal since my wife drives the CX-9, the bluetooth works well for making calls, and the stereo system sounds just fine (better than the one in my Mazdaspeed 3). But they really need to get an entirely new Nav system with voice integration that'll work with everything including the iPod.

Apart from that, the car drives great. I've sat and driven in newer SUVs, and they still don't capture the car-like essence of the CX-9. Hopefully Mazda won't mess it up on the next-gen model.

My first bad experience with my CX9's "Control Unit" is when I tried to redial a call I've made for the first time in the car. When I was at the FM radio screen, I have to actually press 5 buttons to be able to do redial!!!! While on my wife's Hyundai (half the price of the CX9) and previous car, I just have to press the call button twice.

On my C class, when I press the call button once, it will bring up the list of last number you've dialed (like in our mobile/cell phone) and it has another button to activate the voice command. In CX9, call button is the voice command button. Weird...

I was at the dealership yesterday to get my new key. As I meandered around the lot, I noticed that there were very few differences between my 2010 and the 2012's.

Looking through the windows, and around the exterior, they appeared exactly the same.

What are the changes? Anything major?

'11 & 12 cheaped on the interior lighting. the window switch doesn't fully light, only driver window button lights. my salesman called it a reference point. lol. dash cluster lighting is duller and there is no ambient interior lighting. '10 was the best year for interior. I couldn't find a '10 that wasn't a rental car. cx-9s are pretty rare. I looked for 6 months, decided to buy new at 0%

2010 has the MFC (mid-model change). After that, small things got taken off .... (as jk240sx mentioned).

My 2008 does not have those lines, either. (not that I like them)
Which model year has them?

My 2008 does not have those lines, either. (not that I like them)
Which model year has them?

My 2010 has them - Touring non-nav but with the bose radio. Rear View camera appears in the radio display not the rearview mirror.

Latest posts

Back