Autoblog: CX-5 vs Escape

kampfire

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD w/ Tech Package
Its refreshing to see a media outlet comparing these two on a level playing field. Not pitting against a $27k CX-5 vs and $30k+ Escape. I think most of you will like the outcome of this comparison.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/24/...13-mazda-cx-5-comparison-review/#aol-comments

cuv-comparo-escape-cx-5---13-1351046787.jpg

Close (and the top 2 contendors as far as I'm concerned) as expected in a very competitive category.

I read the entire article and found it to be pretty fair.
Then, I went on to read some of the comments and was surprised to see that they are literally EXACTLY as I have been saying in regards to styling of the Escape.

There is always an inherent risk in bold, overstyling, and that is that it seldom stands the test of time. I can certainly appreciate certain aspects of the Ford's styling. It is different and unique, and for that, it gets credit.
But, fact is, in a few years time, I believe it will be seen differently.

Mazda's approach with a much more classic, simplistic design will be seen as less gimicky after the passing of time, and will continue to be stylish after years passing.
I personally think the new design language is stunning. The CX-5 and now the new 2014 6 I think will be two of the best looking vehicles on the road.

Of course, some people like to be flashy, so I guess the simplicity of CX-5 design is not for them...

I agree some of the CX-5 options packages are irritating and needs improvement. Also, once they release some more engine options, it will remove the one serious qualm nearly every publication seems to unanimously have about the CX-5.

Last edited:
Styling is very subjective so I reach my own conclusions without journalist input on such. I think both Ford and Mazda are very pleased with the sales success of these 2 compact SUV's, well done. Having driven both, I'd be comfortable owning either one (versus CRV, Rouge, Rav4, Tiburon, Outlander, Tiguan, Outback, Forrester).

"For example, short of the base Sport model, as a CX-5 buyer you're stuck with a mandatory Blind Spot Monitoring system, which can be annoying. I'm not convinced it's a feature everybody wants."

How is the BSM annoying?? Is not like it goes WARNING WARNING!!!!!! every time a car is right next to you. (scratch)(scratch).

"For example, short of the base Sport model, as a CX-5 buyer you're stuck with a mandatory Blind Spot Monitoring system, which can be annoying. I'm not convinced it's a feature everybody wants."

How is the BSM annoying?? Is not like it goes WARNING WARNING!!!!!! every time a car is right next to you. (scratch)(scratch).

And I think you can turn off the warning sound through the dealer (I know positively you can make it very quiet)

And I think you can turn off the warning sound through the dealer (I know positively you can make it very quiet)

That's correct, only authorized Mazda dealer can change BSM warning beep from High (default) to Low or Off.

They can do the same for your Lights-ON reminder too. But for your Turn Signal indicator sound, High is Default and they can only change it to Low.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought the BSM would be one of those features I never pay attention to but it works so reliably and unobtrusively it's one of my favorites now. Unfortunately the feature I was excited to get, navigation, is so frustrating I never use it.

Yeah, I thought the BSM would be one of those features I never pay attention to but it works so reliably it's one of my favorites now. Unfortunately the feature I was excited to get, navigation, is so frustrating I never use it.

Agreed, works nicely. I would never turn it off, but I might consider turning volume down to Low.

The Escape is by no means an ugly vehicle - it looks really nice - but when reading that article I was struck with a "huh?" by a few of their statements. I don't know on what planet the front end of the Escape is better looking that the CX-5. They complain about the size of the grill on the Mazda, but don't knock the Ford for that gaping front end? It left me scratching my head. As someone whom is not personally invested in either (although I am strongly leaning towards the CX-5), in no way do I get their statements regarding the Escape being more of a looker. In every picture of the outside of the vehicles I find the CX-5 to be more visually appealing, although looks are obviously in the eye of the beholder.

If it weren't for a number of recalls already on the Ford, I would think about getting one. But those, combined with the higher price to get a similarly equipped vehicle, the substandard stereo, the for all accounts broken MySync, and a historically faster drop off in resale value all tip the balance in favor of the Mazda, without ever getting to the actual driving.

Interesting point - I printed the article out to read it, using their "print" button, and it is obvious that they uploaded a draft version there, as there are incomplete sentences, repeated text, etc. Made me wonder what was going on till I went back and looked at the website published version, which is polished and edited.

Chris

Agreed, works nicely. I would never turn it off, but I might consider turning volume down to Low.

It seems us gents know to use things like BSM and back-up camera as a suppliment to our own judgement.

Come to find out with the wife, these gadgets instead take the place of her own judgement. I learned this when she backed into a friend's pickup truck in the CX-5 not long ago.

"I didn't see it on the camera!"

Really? Wow.

I will still always look over my shoulder, but the BSM system is useful in that it provides insurance. It is like a second set of eyes in a way. I think most people see these features in the same regard, and as useful tools, rather than annoyances.
I'm pretty sure your dealer will reduce the volume free of charge, if you alert them pretty early on. At least before 12K miles elapse. Back when I bought my Speed6 alot of owners hated the seat belt chime, and it turned out most dealers would mute the chime for free, if you made the request before 12K miles.

It seems us gents know to use things like BSM and back-up camera as a suppliment to our own judgement.

Come to find out with the wife, these gadgets instead take the place of her own judgement. I learned this when she backed into a friend's pickup truck in the CX-5 not long ago.

Exactly, the BSM and camera are supplements and tools to increase our awareness and safety.

btw - Was the pickup truck moving or stationary? (Sadly I think I can guess what the answer is.)

I love the BSM. Already saved my ass once on the Baltimore Beltway. It is there when you need it (attempting to change lanes) and unobtrusive when you don't. I had a rental GMC Terrain for work about two months ago and the BSM was beeping for every vehicle that got next to me. Had to turn it off.

It seems to me that some car companies are pushing their warning systems too much. I think it is a current Lexus commercial where they show all kinds of poor driving situations with people changing multple lanes and eating or not paying enough attention and stuff and the various warning systems save them and their kids or some pedestrian each and every time. I get the impression that they are almost encourging poor driving habits since their magic systems will save you. My son is about to get his liscence and I emphasize the point each time we see that commercial.

The problem is some people dont realize that the blind spot monitor does only that, monitors your BLIND spot. it doesnt mean that you can swerve into the next lane because the little dummy light isnt on or that you dont have to shoulder check. Scares the hell out of me that some people think that.

The problem is women dont realize that the blind spot monitor does only that, monitors your BLIND spot. it doesnt mean that you can swerve into the next lane because the little dummy light isnt on or that you dont have to shoulder check. Scares the hell out of me that some people think that.

Fixed.

Just kidding, of course! Please don't hurt me, lady forum members. lmao!

You know damn well the pickup was stationary, CX. LOL! (lol2)

There is always an inherent risk in bold, overstyling, and that is that it seldom stands the test of time. I can certainly appreciate certain aspects of the Ford's styling. It is different and unique, and for that, it gets credit.
But, fact is, in a few years time, I believe it will be seen differently.

Mazda's approach with a much more classic, simplistic design will be seen as less gimicky after the passing of time, and will continue to be stylish after years passing.
I personally think the new design language is stunning. The CX-5 and now the new 2014 6 I think will be two of the best looking vehicles on the road.

Of course, some people like to be flashy, so I guess the simplicity of CX-5 design is not for them...

I agree some of the CX-5 options packages are irritating and needs improvement. Also, once they release some more engine options, it will remove the one serious qualm nearly every publication seems to unanimously have about the CX-5.

I agree with you guys completely. I can't say I dislike the Escape, but it looks over styled which may or may not be an attractive look in 5-10 years.

The CX-5, I think, is very stylish without being offensive and it will still look good in 10 or 15 years. Except for cars like, say, an Aston Martin, I think it's one of the most stylish vehicles on the road that isn't polarizing at the same time.

I also agree about the engine choices like IHeartGroceries mentions - I am waiting to get a CX-5 until a more powerful engine arrives. I know it's not necessary, but I know I'll kick myself for not getting it.

Yes, Mazda needs to offer a couple CX-5 engine options/upgrades to build on its success-to-date.

very fair article.
Part of me still wishes, however, that more reviewers would drive the manual CX5 because the "lack of power" that is a continuous criticism is somewhat mitigated when you know how to drive stick properly and are in direct control of the gears, not to mention that this model also gets the best hwy mileage figures too.

I think the article made an attempt to focus in on the top selling/predominate highest volume versions of the compact crossovers, mainly sub-$30K, front-wheel drive, automatic transmission. Not necessarily my favorite version(s) of CX-5 or Escape were tested, but that wasn't the goal when selecting configs.

Other magazines (Car and Driver and Motor Trend) have tested the lower volume configs (including loaded AWD versions, 2.0Lturbo SEL, manual tranny CX-5)

The one thing that left me puzzled was the prices of the cars in the comparison.
First, it worth noting that AWD Escape starts $26,800 , where as AWD CX-5 starts at $23,600. Now, this CX-5 Sport is not so bare bones as a CR-V/RAV-4 at this price (e.g. alloy wheels are included). The difference for FWD is only ~$1,500. For people like me, AWD is the only reason to get a vehicle like this, so $3,000 is too much.
Obviously, some people want to load up on extra options and get a more expensive trim, but overall, the Escape is more expensive.

Back