Auto Dimming Mirror Install Problem

dsulli37

:
2006 Mazda5
So I just installed an auto dimming mirror with Homelink only (no compass) on a 2006 M5 and I'm having some issues. I had to use wire clamps that came with the wire harness kit to tap into the car. I can get the Homelink to work but not the mirror. The kit that I ordered from MZparts is number 0000-8C-L01 -L04. When it came it said it was for a compass mirror with Homelink. Everything plugged in fine. I triple checked that I tapped into the right wires. Like I said, the Homelink works. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I just tap into the fuse box?

What makes you think it is not working? To test, put your finger over the sensor on the front of the mirror and hold it there for at least 30 seconds. It takes it that long to think it is night time. After that time, it should dim and brighten when you move your finger.

I just checked mz parts online for your mirror. I can't find the part number you list for a 2006 mazda 5. They also don't list a homelink mirror that doesn't have a compass. I installed one of these auto dims in a miata a few years ago. Make sure you don't have a blown fuse.

I saw the mirror you posted over at m3f and am interested in installing one in my car. Right now, I have the stock no-frills mirror in my '06 Mazda 3 GT.

How much/where did you get that mirror from? Was it difficult to install?
The place to get it is from your friendly Mazda dealer. Try one of our fine sponsor dealers.

Thanks, that's really ************************* helpful.

Well my response would have been really helpful if THIS forum didn't automatically go through posts and replace the name of another mazda forum (say like that in a link) with asteriks. The link worked fine until they made that rule and then half the address was replaced with "*".

I saw the mirror you posted over at m3f and am interested in installing one in my car. Right now, I have the stock no-frills mirror in my '06 Mazda 3 GT.

How much/where did you get that mirror from? Was it difficult to install?

I got mine installed by the dealer as part of negotiating the sale of the car. The difference between getting one for your car is that the '06 models have the temp. display on the HU LCD so you just need one with the compass function. If you go to m3f there's a pretty useful walkthrough on installing the mirror (except you can omit the steps for running the temp. sensor which is the hardest part). The mirror was (I believe) $150. If I were doing it again with what I know now I would just install it myself.

Back