As an Albertan, I regret buying the Mazda 3.

Shroud

In Edmonton, let's face it the winters suck hardcore. This is one of the worst ones yet for cold and snow.

The heater/defroster in the Mazda 3 is, in my opinion, totally inadequate for this climate. Today on my 30 minute drive home from work - with fresh air set, and defrost and max fan power (per the manual) my side windows were still half-fogged. Rear side windows did not defog AT ALL.

Start the car to warm it up? Get in the car and find your dashboard is covered with snow.

My 1996 Paseo has a better heater.

- Beautiful car
- fun to drive
- great interior
- LOVE it if it's above -10

But I would not buy this car again, and would return it if I could. I don't want to **** around with rolling my windows down just to feel safe turning at an intersection in cold weather.

Disappointed.

I would but apparently it's just the car design - I've confirmed the problem with a few other Canadian owners around the net etc. Everyone says the same thing: snow on dash, lousy defroster.

Shroud said:
I would but apparently it's just the car design - I've confirmed the problem with a few other Canadian owners around the net etc. Everyone says the same thing: snow on dash, lousy defroster.

It's your fault. lol jk

Go to dealer. Who knows?

I would suggest going to a dealer and depending on what they say, write to MNAO. Also get the others that are dissatisfied to write to MNAO as well. You might get something done. Again, depending on MNAO's position and response, start to post things on Car Review websites (ala Edmunds.com). You should get a positive response pretty quickly after that...

I will also do 2 more things:

- maybe cut the car some slack, given how uber-cold it is (unusually cold)

- try using the AC in conjunction with defrost to defrost the windows faster.

I'll see how that goes first.

Jarrett

Hey Shroud I had the same problem recently with my P5. I didnt warm it up because it wasnt that cold but when i turned on the defroster my windows fogged up and was sprayed with snow. I think plugging in the block heater really helps as well as warming up the car for a long enough time.

Probably right. I have some other strategies to try (using AC to bring down humidity. Also, apparently it's bad to use the round vents in winter or some crazy thing a dealer told someone). I don't have a block heater yet - darn car came without one (I thought it had one already, my mistake!).

your ac auto turns on when you have your defroster/defroster + floor/floor settings on

Happens to me too. The weather warmed up to about -25C and I finally got some heat. But using the A/C didn't help because the unit is temp sensitive in that it won't come on if it is too cold. I don't remember what that temp is though, and also don't know if that applies to other models.

The defrost setting should use the a/c condenser to dry out the air and defog the windows faster. You should not have to press the a/c button; the normal a/c system that cools the car won't work when you turn the temp selector into the red/warmer settings.

I don't think that that works either in the colder temps because you can usually hear or see (via tach) that it is working or not in defrost mode.

With my experience drivng different cars, the Mazda defrost is not as "powerful" as the Honda's, Toyota's or even some domestics. However, I wouldn't consider this my #1 criteria for buying a car. Perhaps because I got some driving tips from a friend who was a cop when I first got my licence - I primarily rely on my rear-view mirror & good memory. Plus traffic in AB is really nothing to worry about even with rear window fogged up.

Hi Shroud, are you in Edmonton? If so come on out and meet with us other Mazda Enthusiasts. We meet the 3rd Wednesday of every month.

It would be nice to have a Mazda 3 in the club. We have several Protoges, Protoge 5s, a Mazda 6 as well as Miatas.

Here is our web site and forum

http://www.edm-mazdaclub.com

Back