ARP Main Studs

CF_KoiFry

:
2003 Protege5
So I've seen where everybody has the same consensus...go with ARP Head Studs, hands down.

But...what about the main bolts? I can see why the TTY Head bolts Vs. ARP Studs isn't even an argument, but do the main studs REALLY offer benefit beyond the OE Main bolts, or is it just for peace of mind. Has anybody ever had a main bolt fail? I see rod failure and bearing failure is rather common, but the main bolts failing is something I can't say that i've ever seen. Is it necessary for a car that will never see above 250whp?

I'm a firm believer that the heads should be studded, but for 250whp I don't see why the OE Main bolts wouldn't hold.

I saw no reason to install them with my build... And I'm not the only one...

If I were trying for a 700hp FS, then I might...

I never expect to open an engine to find main bolt failure. And realistically, the reason for main studs is a better clamping force (same reason to use them everywhere else) but it's specifically to combat the main caps from walking. It isn't going to happen on a correctly assembled 250hp Protg...

I used the $40 DNJ Rockauto head bolts for my car two different times and haven't had a single issue running 10lbs.

Back