Apple CarPlay update (2016 CX-5)

I've recently purchased a 2016 (March release) Mazda CX5 sport. The infotainment is OS Version 55.00.753 and I want to upgrade the system for the carplay Apple function to sync with my iPhone.
Mazda dealers no longer offer this update service so would like to try to install all updates myself. Any insight and links to the best and easiest way to install it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Mazda dealers no longer offer this update service so would like to try to install all updates myself. Any insight and links to the best and easiest way to install it would be much appreciated.
My 2019 GTR came with CarPlay but I've done the infotainment updates myself via files offered by members on this forum. My son who has a 2016 Mazda3 had the same infotainment OS version you mentioned. In addition to the OS version needing to be updated you also need a part which replaces the USB ports in the console under the armrest. As far as I'm aware you also need the upgraded Bose infotainment system to do the upgrade to add Carplay which my son's car has. Does the Sport have Bose infotainment system?

My local Mazda dealer offers the system upgrade with software update, parts & installation for $480 which my son had done early last fall & the dealer is still advertising the deal. That's rather pricey in my opinion but my son spends over an hour commute each way to work & is happy with it. Plus the dealer assumes the risk of anything going haywire in the process of the upgrade.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply and knowledge that my OS version will need to be updated first and then physically replacing the USB port. Not sure about the Bose infotainment compatibility yet.
Found a few YouTube links showing how to upgrade, lets see how easy it is!

Also, my local Mazda dealer has stop offering the upgrade service.

Upvote 0
I did the carplay upgrade on my 16 CX-5, no Bose required. I followed this guide EXACTLY (They mention repeatedly, failure to do so could risk a bricked CMU) to update the firmware first before installing the USB ports. IIRC, if your firmware is too old you need to go to 59.X before jumping to 74.X.

From there, there are YouTube videos to help with the physical installation process. It took my brother and I about 45 minutes. There will be two ports on your new USB hub, the one with the phone icon next to it supports 5V 2.1A charging along with CarPlay, which is an improvement over the 5V 1A the non-CarPlay hub supports. It also has a 5V 1A port below the CarPlay port, so you'll still have that around.

Upvote 0
Appreciate your reply and now know I will need to update the firmware with a later version before physically changing the USB hub ports.

Upvote 0
Appreciate your reply and now know I will need to update the firmware with a later version before physically changing the USB hub ports.
@Philness Did you ever get this worked out? I have the same problem. 2016 CX5 with same software version as yours. I have purchased the new USB, but need to get the software update prior to installing. The local dealers here want to charge me $185+ just to update the software! INSANE!!

@ASH8

Upvote 0
@Philness Did you ever get this worked out? I have the same problem. 2016 CX5 with same software version as yours. I have purchased the new USB, but need to get the software update prior to installing. The local dealers here want to charge me $185+ just to update the software! INSANE!!

@ASH8
Not yet, still on my to-do list. The info on this thread is very useful and informative so hopefully can't go wrong. Let me know how you get on when you tackle it, good luck.

Upvote 0
Back