Anyone tried extrudehone(ing) ms3 downpipe instead of replacing with aftermarket?

:
09 MS3
Hello, all:

As the thread title asks--has anyone had experience with (or heard of) an attempt to gain power by improving exhaust flow...by having the stock downpipe extrudehoned & keeping the system (looking) "stock" rather than installing an aftermarket downpipe? Using the site search function (terms extrudehone and extrude hone), I got zero hits, so am assuming this is a *new* topic.

I got very good results using extrudehone as part of a series of improvements to a Ford 302 about 10yrs ago (cumulative result of improvements was RWHP bump from 200 to 300, with no associated emissions testing issues), so consider the process potentially beneficial in "any" application.

A bit of background about me: bought an 09 ms3 based on (a) "downsizing" need to reduce number of vehicles (b) combined with previously unsatisfied needs for an effective combination of more utility and more fun and (c) strongly influenced by how much I'd enjoyed an SVT Focus...except for the "not quite enough power" issue....

Now, I'm starting to look for "just a little bit more"--power, handling...overall performance from the ms3. My self-imposed limitations are (1) doesn't void the warranty (including "asking for it" due to sound, appearance, etc); (2) doesn't significantly compromise "daily driver" usage (too loud, too stiff, too low, etc--been there & done that too many times already). Other uses: I don't race (or enter any competition events) but do enjoy the occasional HPDE day.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Never heard of anyone attempting that process on this car, but interested in the potential of it. I don't think there's a lot of power to be gained from it with the stock MS3 downpipe though, but it could be worth looking into, who knows.

If you're planning on taking the car to an HPDE, I would recommend flushing the brake fluid with something up to the task like Motul RBF600 or ATE SuperBlue, a nice stiff rear sway bar (Hotchkis or Tri-Point) and good tires. Those last two will also bump up the fun during daily driving without negatively impacting comfort or legality at all.

Back