Anyone Relpace OEM Tires with Dueler 422 Ecopias?

For what it's worth I replaced oem tires on my pick up and Acura TL with Bridgestones and found them to be quite good. I think the Michelins on my truck were better in the snow but the Duelers were quieter and handled better. Same experience with the car.

I have noticed about a 7% gain in fuel economy using the 422 ecopedias versus the factory tires on my 2008 GT AWD. This gain in fuel economy is seen with 90% freeway driving at an average speed of 70mph

In general, LRR tires have thicker sidewalls.
They tend to wear the outer edges faster.
One way to counter that is to over-inflat the tires to 40psi.
At that level, your comfort level drops.

Learnt all these from my wife's Prius..... sold for Mazda3.

I have noticed about a 7% gain in fuel economy using the 422 ecopedias versus the factory tires on my 2008 GT AWD. This gain in fuel economy is seen with 90% freeway driving at an average speed of 70mph

That is WAY more than Bridgestone's own testing predicts and frankly unlikely. As I recall the Bridgestone marketing literature (which I think we can assume is stretching the point), claims something in the 2-3% range or about a tank of gas per year. 7% on a few tanks in ideal conditions might be possible but doesn't seem likely over the long run in varying conditions.

I considered the Dueler 422 Ecopias but the OE Dueler 400s didn't make it 30k miles. I researched all of my options extensively and ultimately chose the Yokohama YK580 instead. The Dueler 422s would have been $1,078.42 OTD and the YK580s were only $862.18 OTD (at Discount Tire).

Even though the Yokos were very affordable, I didn't choose them just because of the price. They are considered a Low Rolling Resistance tire, but they don't sacrifice any handling or traction like most LRRs. They are also quieter on the highway and the ride quality isn't quite as stiff/harsh as it was before.

Yokohama reduces rolling resistance in a very unique way and unlike any other manufacturer. A significant percentage of petroleum oil traditionally used in the tire manufacturing process is replaced with Orange Oil (as in the citrus fruit)! In doing so, they have managed to create LRR tires without sacrificing performance, comfort or quality.

I've put almost 4,000 miles on mine so far and my average fuel economy has increased by about 0.7mpg so far. It doesn't sound like a huge improvement, but considering that my average was 16.8mpg overall, I'll take any imrprovement I can get! I have noticed that they seem to improve highway mileage more than city/mixed driving. I just drove 400 miles round trip to visit family in South Carolina and I've never managed to keep it above 20mpg for the entire trip before. This time, I got 20.9mpg going 75-80mpg with the A/C on and I had to make a few 'aggressive' passes to get around idiots blocking the left lane coming back down I-85! So I wasn't trying to improve my mileage, but I did anyway! =)

Back