Anyone have their navigation get them lost or almost in a wreck?

No navigation system is perfect. Recently, Google Maps directed me to a "new" residential street that had not been constructed yet (in the planning stage). But I did not follow that direction; I just turned around.

I read stories of drivers landing in water or fields because their navigation system instructed them to go that way. Needless to say, one must exercise proper judgement and common sense.

Last edited:
No navigation system is perfect. Recently, Google Maps directed me to a "new" residential street that had not been constructed yet (in the planning stage). But I did not follow that direction; I just turned around.

I read stories of drivers landing in water or fields because their navigation system instructed them to go that way. Needless to say, one must exercise proper judgement and common sense.

Most people don't like to exercise, whether it's their common sense (or lack thereof), their judgement, or their bodies. Too much work, it's so much easier to let someone else do it for them or to not do it at all.

That way when things go south, they can blame someone else.

The NAV system in my 2016.5 CX-5 GT hasn't fouled up badly yet. Not sent me into dangerous spots, not into ditches or swamps, not onto dirt trails or "roads" where it imagines there's actually pavement.

Of course, in "country" road settings, it'll occasionally not have a clue of where to go. A few times each year I head to some places out there, so for those I just memorize all the correct turns. Easily done. But in well-traveled areas, it's generally pretty good.

One failing: it doesn't hardly notify soon enough. Often, if moving along at, say, 45mph, it'll warn me of an upcoming turn at 1000ft (or, when it thinks it's 1000ft to the turn) ... but actually the warning occurs just a dozen or so yards prior to the mark. Which sort of kills it, for making the turn (let alone making it safely). Doesn't happen all that often, but it's frequent enough to be a pain.

Had one particular spot that was a recent built-up along the highway, adding in a newer off-ramp. Turns out, that got constructed following the 2015/2016 time period when the vehicle got made. A simple update to the NAV maps corrected that little problem, which is to be expected.

Yes. It took me off a highway, onto a backroad. Made about a 2 mile half circle. Right back to the same highway I was on. Last week it told me to turn down a road and turn right. Another right into a housing development. Then left back on the same road it first told me to turn on.😂wtf

Make sure that you do not have "Shortest Route" selected as it can lead to some very interesting back roads and neighborhoods. "Quickest Route" is the favored selection most of the time.

Here's a weird Nav thing. Travelling west on Rt896 in PA. it picks up the road I want to turn on called Chambers Rock Road. If I travel Rt896 east it misses the road completely.

Back 20 yrs ago, I had a cheap brandless dashcam installed.
The NAV of my '98 CX9 started to put me somewhere in Pacific ocean... or random places.
It happened sometimes... not all the times.
I debugged it for a while and found the root cause to be the EM interference.
Once the dashcam was removed, A-OK ever since.

Not the NAVI's fault in my case, and off topic. Sorry.

Back