Anyone else get Tire Cupping?

fam

:
10 Mazda5 GT AT, 10 Mazda3S GB GT 6SPD
So I had thought I bent a rim, but sure enough when I rubbed my hand over the rear drivers side tire its cupped really bad on the inside of the tire. The tires were new 8k miles ago (bought the car with brand new mastercraft tires on them, treadwear 420 I believe). All 4 Wheels were aligned after I got the car in June. I did autocross it 3 times but the surfaces were completely flat.

Anyone else have this problem?

Think its a strut? Im going to buy another matching tire or 2 Kumho tires but I dont want to get tire cupping in another 8k miles.

It sounds like im driving a truck with mudders on at low speeds and at high speeds the vibration\noise gets old quick and now that its turning winter blasting the stereo with the windows down wont be an option ;-)

I too had cupping on the rears. I have been told it is due to the negative camber of the rear wheels. I rotated mine and am hoping to wear them smooth on the front. The noise sucks but the vibration is minimal thank god. I hope it works I do not want to buy tires til the summer or fall next year. BTW my Khumos are like 600 treadwear I think (car is not here) so lower treadwear numbers would most likely be worse (happen faster). I would say if they are real bad bench them and get another pair and rotate the hell out of them.

Posted a pic to show the ,I guess its, cupping in action. From the inside look at the 1st couple columns of tread the dark spots are were it is depressed, moving your hand flat across the length of the tire your hand simulates an ocean wave of up and down.

might just be the tires, my kumho's never cupped or had irregular wear, and my federals cupped pretty badly, same suspension setup with both tires

It also might be a "toe" situation. That too will cause cupping, more so than neg camber, which primarily causes faster inside tread wear.

Not a hint of it on the other side ;-(
Oh just 1 side eh. I would say a bad shock is possible but I would have the rear wheels aligned and replace that tire. Now that I mention it I should have my alignment checked as well before my freshly rotated tires do the same thing as before.

Fam, I think you hit the nail on the head with the strut guess. I just went over 140,000 on my '06 3i & all struts need to be replaced. I have cupping on all four tires, & yes a "monster trucking we will go!"

Don't forget the rear tires are toed in like 1-3mm in addition to the negative camber, but that shouldn't cause too much wear. For those of you who like myself went with a directional tread, its worth having the tires un-mounted & switched sides once or twice over the life of the tires.

I would get the suspension checked again, it is possible that you have a toe issue. The rear suspension on the 3 is not a strut system, it is a multilink system.

I edited the picture and lightened it up, and can see the cupping on the inside. Tire balancing is also critical here as well. Improperly balanced tires can also cause cupping. With tight suspensions, cupping is common if you don't have the balancing done correctly. Road Forced balancing is suggested.

Last edited:
Back