Any way to lower the front passenger seat on a 2014 CX5?

Speed72

:
Cx5
Title says it all. My wife hates the seat, and if I want to keep the car I need to make the front seat sit lower. Any ideas? Can I buy a 2016 seat and put it in place, or do they make lower mounts?

Title says it all. My wife hates the seat, and if I want to keep the car I need to make the front seat sit lower. Any ideas? Can I buy a 2016 seat and put it in place, or do they make lower mounts?

Get a right-hand drive driver's seat?

I find the passenger's seat comfortable, but I like a high bottom front for thigh support. Absolutely hated the Santa Fe passenger seat.

What would a 2016 seat do? They're no different than earlier models. Can you be a little more explicit about why you want to lower it?

No real easy way to lower the seat. Best option in my opinion would be to bring the seat to an upholstery shop and have them redo the bottom. They can lower it that way plus install different material like memory foam or gel inserts for comfort. This is a very popular thing to do in the motorcycle community.

Because my wife says it feels like she is "sitting on the roof". She refuses to sit in the passenger seat (but she will drive, and is happy with the drivers seat). The only thing I can think of is the lack of seat height adjustment. I though the 2016 added that for the passenger.

Because my wife says it feels like she is "sitting on the roof". She refuses to sit in the passenger seat (but she will drive, and is happy with the drivers seat). The only thing I can think of is the lack of seat height adjustment. I though the 2016 added that for the passenger.

Front passenger seat in '16+ is manually height adjustable but may still not address your concern. You may need to stop by a dealer to test it out.

What about a passenger seat from a 6 or a 3? Check a dealer to see if they fit and if so look for a salvage yard that has a seat in the style you need.

Front passenger seat in '16+ is manually height adjustable but may still not address your concern. You may need to stop by a dealer to test it out.
I thought all CX-5 Touring and GT trims have 6-way manual seat adjustment on passenger side including seat height adjustment?

Probably need to dig into the parts diagram and your own car and see if you can replace the bottom portion of the seat with the equivalent part from the driver's side that allows for the height adjustment.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Its opposite in my house, wifey wants taller seat to be able to look out. In Tucson she felt it was too low and wont be able to enjoy road trips.

The solution is to lift the drivers seat all the way up. That way she'll stop noticing that the passenger seat is so high.

No.. that wasn't available '13-'15. It is a fixed height on those years.
So OP can get a front passenger seat from 2016+ for height adjustment then. Easy but can be expensive, unless he can find a matching one from salvage yard.

I am thinking that it is not the height of the seat above the road, but above the floor of the vehicle that is a problem. If that is the case then there are two ways to fix it. Lower the seat, or raise the floor. to raise the floor, remove the removable front carpet. use it as a template to cut out a plywood insert. Place wood block spacers under the plywood to the height desired and put the carpet on top. Much easier then lowering the seat.

I have a 5 ft tall wife, and she has a foot rest for our CX-5 for use on trips.

Frank

I am thinking that it is not the height of the seat above the road, but above the floor of the vehicle that is a problem. If that is the case then there are two ways to fix it. Lower the seat, or raise the floor. to raise the floor, remove the removable front carpet. use it as a template to cut out a plywood insert. Place wood block spacers under the plywood to the height desired and put the carpet on top. Much easier then lowering the seat.

I have a 5 ft tall wife, and she has a foot rest for our CX-5 for use on trips.

Frank
Raising the floor would make it uncomfortable for all other passengers other than his wife. Also, pulling up the carpet and getting the raised floor installed and getting it back together would be way more difficult than getting the pieces necessary to provide height adjustment on the passenger side.

Also, keep in mind that when you lower the seat you reduce thigh support which can be extremely uncomfortable, especially on long trips. This isn't an issue for the driver because you sit with your legs extended opposed to with your feet flat on the floor like you do as a passenger. For that reason alone I would only be considering options that are adjustable. Your wife Mary find that sitting lower is worse than "riding high"

Latest posts

Back