any non-OEM roof rails available at lower cost?

dtbaker61

:
2011 mazda cx-9 touring awd
I can't believe how much the dealer wants for the roof rack system considering the simplicity and ease of installation. Does anyone know of a source for an inexpensive aftermarket?

Try.... http://www.mazdaparts.org/

Great service and quick shipping, free freight on orders over $100 and they're Mazda OE parts.

I paid like $356 for the rack including cross rails.

They are very simple to install and only takes about 1/2 hour including un-packing the well packed materials.

Good luck and give us an update if ordered/installed

Last edited:
You'll see several posts on this topic so do some searching and you'll find more ideas and suggestions.
After researching this quite a bit I went with Mont Blanc Aero Bars. Still needed the OEM rails but these bars are cheaper than the OEM crossbars. They look pretty good but it's not as clean a look as the OEM bars. They install easily and quickly. They are also easily removed. They sit somewhat higher than the OEM bars which can be a plus or a minus depending on what you're putting up there. They are very sturdy. I've had them loaded up with a Yakima skybox and a Mont Blanc barracuda bike carrier. They accept t-bolt attachments such as the barracuda bike carrier.
If you go Mont Blanc it's worth shopping around a bit on ebay or elsewhere. They sell identical cross bars and accessories under their brand, Audi, VW and Suzuki with the Audi branded stuff costing about double what the Suzuki branded stuff costs and the others falling in between. (For example, I got the barracuda bike carrier on ebay from a Suzuki dealer for abut $70. You can spend over $150 for it from an Audi dealer.)

Last edited:
I put Thule mounts and crossbars on my '11 CX9. The Thule mounts and crossbars are rated for more weight than factory rails/bars. I carry kayaks on the car and had a bad experience on a previous car (toyota) where the factory racks failed. Not fun.

I also bought a Yakima Skybox lowpro 15 to carry my skis in the winter. It was pricey, but was the only cartop carrier that was "skinny" enough to allow for me to drive my CX9 into the garage with the carrier on top. Just barely fits on the fixed-position crossbars. Does not hit the rear lift when it opens either.

If you get the Thule system, you will want to get the wind faring as well. Lots of whistling/noise otherwise.

when using the Thule mounts on the mount points, arent your cross bars really far apart. i had this problem with using yakima mounts (landing pad/control towers mounted on the fatory install points). I could not fit my Skybo 16 on.

I put Thule mounts and crossbars on my '11 CX9. The Thule mounts and crossbars are rated for more weight than factory rails/bars. I carry kayaks on the car and had a bad experience on a previous car (toyota) where the factory racks failed. Not fun.

I also bought a Yakima Skybox lowpro 15 to carry my skis in the winter. It was pricey, but was the only cartop carrier that was "skinny" enough to allow for me to drive my CX9 into the garage with the carrier on top. Just barely fits on the fixed-position crossbars. Does not hit the rear lift when it opens either.

If you get the Thule system, you will want to get the wind faring as well. Lots of whistling/noise otherwise.

when using the Thule mounts on the mount points, arent your cross bars really far apart. i had this problem with using yakima mounts (landing pad/control towers mounted on the fatory install points). I could not fit my Skybo 16 on.

That's the reason I went with the OEM setup. They seem to be too far apart. Also the front aftermarket mount will lean slightly forward due to the roofline.

Yes, they are far apart but after some research I found that the yakima skybox lowpro 15 was able to (just barely) fit on the bars. To your point, none of the Thule boxes would fit on the fixed mount, but all i needed was one box to fit! It holds 5+ pairs of skis, poles, and a coats too. Also, as I noted above, it does not interfere at all with the back hatch opening. VERY STURDY!

Back