Any custom hood vents out there?

thepope540

:
2003.5 Yellow Speed - Sold, Spicy - Sold, #639 Black Mica
I finally got the KLZE-T swap done and it is scorching hot in the engine bay. I've never felt anything like it. I am going to get a turbo blanket and that'll help, but I think some vents are in order. Has anyone done or seen any vents cut into the stock hood. I don't have any interest in buying a carbon hood - it would look out of place on my car and I don't want to paint it - plus they cost money I don't have. I'm thinking something along these lines:

j.jpg

NewImage.jpg

What do you think?

i was actually thinkin of doing this to my hood too
but i want to be able to cover the vents up during rain and stuff like that...

its a good idea though, i like the ones on the s2000

carbon fiber hoods have the same thing but instead of the supports being metal they are fiberglass. i cant see anyting proving its a metal hood.

Zoom in on the pic and I believe I see welds holding in the grate and spot welds holding the braces to the skin. I could be wrong (and it really doesn't matter anyway :) ) but I'm pretty sure its metal... (shrug)

why not the evo hood on protege garage? i mean personally i dont like how it looks but functionality would probably work, esp if you paint it yellow, actually i think itd look good if you painted it to match. or even the xcelerated concepts vented hood.
get one of these painted and itd actually look sick in my book. and prob cost around 900 bucks if my estimates are correct.
http://protegegarage.com/604-product-604.html
http://protegegarage.com/343-product-343.html

Some honda boys put spacers/washers in-between the hood and the hinge to vent out the engine bay. It could be a temp thing to get you by tell you get it figured out.

yea 900 bucks...uhh thats a s*** ton more then just cutting vents into the stock hood lol

the only problem is that if you dont do it right, it'll look ricey as hell

Try the spacers trick 1st, if that doesn't help buy a junker hood so you can try out an idea on a "scrap" before you go cutting into you your yellow hood.

$900 is about 100 times more than I hope to spend :) I thought about spacing the hood at the hinges, but I'm not a fan of that look at all. (I may run it short term, but it would be very short term... I have a spare mx6 hood that I can practice with so I can get the cutting technique down before attacking my yellow.

I'm also looking at ways to control airflow under the car. If I can come up with an undertray / diffuser that will do the same job I'd rather go that route. It won't have to be as pretty and might even add some downforce which would be pretty cool.

Last edited:
I have seen a set of hood spacer bushings on eBay for like 30. I might be wrong but I think they are racing beat...

Heres something I whipped up using the airbrush and fill tool in Gimp. Not sure how I feel about it mostly because my skills are not yet complete. Gimp seems like its pretty powerful, but it doesn't operate like photoshop so I'll have to play with it for a while.

Attachments

• ventchopone.JPG
    ventchopone.JPG
    432.6 KB · Views: 324
i say go to the local junk yard, find a old protege hood and do what you think will look best....i think as long as you follow the actual shape and style of the hood it will look awesome if done right. the s2k has a long hood so those vents fit it, the protege, not so much. try the bushings first, and if that dont help, try your skills with the hood. do you have welding skills? you could whip up something like this but a little lower on your hood because of the heat from the turbo manifold.

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/images/Type1hood.bmp

The pope makes downpipes, I know he has mad welding skills...

This made me LOL. I have adequate welding skills... sometimes. My cousin is a professional welder - he's doing all the sellable quality welding for me.

Tom:
Ever thought about cutting and folding instead?
Basically making your own EVO style.
1. Cut a l___l on the hood
2. Put some pressure in a straight line on the backside like a pipe or block of wood to help make a straight solid bend
3. Carefully push down on the l___l cut area,
4. tack in some meshing.
5. DIY Evo vent

Another option is to pull the weather stripping out at the top of the hood. that might give you the added airflow you need to cool things down.

or.
add a cheap electric fan
I have a few extras I can send you.
I have a set from a 96 cutlass supreme
and my stock MSPs

Since you have the 03.5 you might be able to use the area of the fog deletes to plumb some fresh air into the bay as well all you really need is cheap plastic clothes dryer ducting maybe even use those universal air filter intake things ARC makes

tom... if you're planning to do some kind of diffuser for the lower portion of the car you need to please let me know!!

also the vents you have on the picture, not sure how well that'd work, it's over by the far sides, doesn't seem like much would be working there..cept on the one side your turbo sits near i guess..

Back