Another DRL disable/fogs independent post? COME ON!

yangsui

:
Mazda Protege5
Hey everybody, I'm putting in HIDs soon so I have to deal with the daytime running lights thing. This is what I get for living in Canada.

The various DRL disable/fogs independent mods posted are all great but not exactly what I wanted. So I came up with my own design. But since I'm bit of a n00b when it comes to this, I'm asking the more experienced members to check over my design. Will it work? Will it drain my battery overnight? Will it do weird things? Will it blow up my car? Etc. Etc. Please, if you have the time, read my description of what I want my car to do then check out the attached PDFs of my design. Let me know if I'm crazy for thinking that my design will work.

This is for a 2002 Protege5.

Basically, what I want is to first disable the factory DRL but then to have the fogs act as DRLs. The difference from the mods already out there is that I want the fogs to behave EXACTLY like DRL. Here's a breakdown of how I want my car to act:

-Start car, key is in "on" position
-Parking brake is up
-Headlight switch is "off"
-Fog light switch is "off"
-All the lights are off
-Put parking brake down
-Fogs come on even if fog light switch is off
-It gets dark, so I switch on the main headlights
-Main headlights (sweet HIDs) turn on and fogs turn off
-Fogs can now be controlled by the fog light switch, just like stock setup
-If I turn off the main headlight switch, the headlights turn off and the fogs come on regardless of what the fog lights switch is doing
-I get home and pull up the parking brake
-The fogs turn off just like the stock DRL would

So basically, I designed my own basic DRL module to control the fogs when the main headlights are off. Another thing I wanted to do was to make my mod completely reversible so I put in some switches to switch between my new connections and the original connections. This way, I can flip a couple of switches to return my car completely to stock for safety checks or whatever. Sure, the new wiring will be there but they won't be connected to anything.

This is probably way too much trouble for it's worth but I'm nerdy like that.

Now, onto my design:
- The first file: "Wiring_diagram.pdf" is the relevant wiring diagram and DRL module terminal information. I marked where I plan to make changes.
- The second file: "New_design.pdf" describes the new wiring.

So please have a look and let me know what you all think. If you think it'll blow up my car, please tell me soon because I'm doing this the first warm weekend we get (possibly this weekend).

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Wiring_diagram.pdf
    123.7 KB · Views: 402
  • New_design.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Back