Amazing range of CX-5 remote

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
So far, I've tested my CX-5 remote up to 200 feet and it worked fine. Its real handy when you come out to a big parking lot and turn on alarm for a second to find car. Having that shark fin antenna up high insures it usually gets the signal. My old 2007 Civic remote would barely transmit 70 feet.

Is the CX-5 unique in its long remote range?
How far can remote transmit?

No idea as for distance but I noticed it has decent range also however after about 3 months using it at distance, I've noticed it has become weaker, perhaps my battery is draining faster.

Wanna increase the range even more? Try holding the transmitter to your head when you click the button. Your body acts as a "human range extender". It really works!

Line of sight is more important than anything for radio reception.
Hold remote as high as possible to clear roofs of cars in the parking lot.

My 2005 Mazda Tribute remote worked from SO FAR away. I have no idea the actual distance of its range, but I could lock that thing from what I want to say is at least half a mile away, if not more. Never a problem when I couldn't remember whether I had locked it or not. Frequently used it to find the car in a packed parking lot. Sold the Tribute to a friend who loves the remote range as well. Still has the original battery in the remote, too!

Edited to add that I haven't tried to lock my CX-5 from very far away yet.

So far, I've tested my CX-5 remote up to 200 feet and it worked fine. Its real handy when you come out to a big parking lot and turn on alarm for a second to find car. Having that shark fin antenna up high insures it usually gets the signal. My old 2007 Civic remote would barely transmit 70 feet.

Is the CX-5 unique in its long remote range?
How far can remote transmit?

That Shark fin isn't for the remote, it's for the Sirius/XM radio.

That Shark fin isn't for the remote, it's for the Sirius/XM radio.

Do you know that for a fact? I suspect the shark fin antenna is used for at least three devices; Sirius, AM/FM, remote. I would bet that under the dash the shark fin connector splits off three ways.

When far away and all you can see is the roof and shark fin over the car tops, the alarm will work. I don't see how it could be anywhere else.

Last edited:
Do you know that for a fact? When far away and all you can see is the roof and shark fin over the car tops, the alarm will work. I don't see how it could be anywhere else. Its meant for the Siruis radio, but doesn't mean it can't have a dual purpose.
Correction: It's meant for radio reception (used on all CX-5s regardless of whether they have satellite radio) and it could be used for remote reception too.

Wanna increase the range even more? Try holding the transmitter to your head when you click the button. Your body acts as a "human range extender". It really works!

Surprisingly, this actually works! I've seen it tested with good scientific methodology... The best way is to press the fob under your chin (the soft part). Your cranium acts as a parabolic antenea and concentrates the signal towards where your face is pointing (your car if you are looking at it).

Surprisingly, this actually works! I've seen it tested with good scientific methodology... The best way is to press the fob under your chin (the soft part). Your cranium acts as a parabolic antenea and concentrates the signal towards where your face is pointing (your car if you are looking at it).
And a guy with an icon like yours would know!

Correction: It's meant for radio reception (used on all CX-5s regardless of whether they have satellite radio) and it could be used for remote reception too.

The shark fin must be a tri-band antenna.
Siruis operates at 2.3gig, AM/FM below 108meg, remote at 400meg probably.

Last edited:
Do you know that for a fact? I suspect the shark fin antenna is used for at least three devices; Sirius, AM/FM, remote. I would bet that under the dash the shark fin connector splits off three ways.

When far away and all you can see is the roof and shark fin over the car tops, the alarm will work. I don't see how it could be anywhere else.

Remote receiver is supposed to be located around glove box compartment. It has its own antenna. I did the install myself.

Sometimes forget to lock the car once I am quite far away, too far for a signal so I put the fob in my mouth and press it, then it works, not sure if concentrates the signals towards the car (you need to open your mouth wide and face the car). It works, saves trodding back into range. Was actually walking out the multistorey car park at Geneva airport trying to see the lights flash with the fob in my mouth, prob look like a right twat :)

Back