Alternator output voltage 13.6V - Is that ok? 2021 CX-5

7500Km / 4600Mi oil changes. Using Motul 8100 ECO-lite 5W-30.

I would drive longer trips, but I have an infant at home and work from home, so...
Given your situation, I recommend changing the oil quite a bit more frequently - perhaps something like 3Km if possible. I know that might sound extreme, however I believe an aggressive oil change schedule like that is warranted by your driving pattern. If you would like to get another perspective on that, you can send an oil sample from you next change to one of the labs that analyze motor oil.

...or do once used oil analysis and start from there.
To me 3k kilometers or miles is way too low for good quality oil. The Motul is excellent oil. May be 6months is better vs 3k miles. Thats what I do and one of my CX5 is driven less than 30 miles and mostly very short trips (less than 15 miles and less than 20mins) for the past 3+ years. I rarely hit 4k miles between changes. What does help too is good fuel. If OP drives that low miles 91+ (USA) is good option.
No problems with the engine or oil and stellar used oil analysis. And yes I know most people will say 91 is money down the drain but that is not exactly true.

Last edited:
My 2021 CX-5 Turbo recently had it's battery replaced under warranty because the car failed to start. Previous to that it had some slow cranking starts, mainly in winter.

I used a multimeter to test the new battery after 1 month of use, and it's at 11.7V after an hour of shutting the car off. Once I start the car, it's at 13.6V, and the alternator output of 13.7V. Isn't that too low? I thought alternators were supposed to charge at 14.4V?

I checked the current draw after 15min of the car being off and locked, and it's 11 mA (0.011 A). That does not seem excessive and I don't think I have a parasitic draw.
Hi FF1-

After reading through all the responses, I'm not sure I ever saw a definitive (edit) answer to your question on what is the acceptable voltage output for our alternators (?) All interesting responses, but the discussion did kind of "shift gears" to topics like oil changes, best multimeter to buy, etc.

My 2019 CX-9 was having some brake work last week, and I was informed my "battery needed to be replaced" which I dismissed. Just for giggles, I just had a load test done at AutoZone, and according to their AutoZone all-in-one diag. tool, was told my battery was at 84% (not ideal, but not unhealthy), but it looked like my alternator wasn't putting out as high a reading as he (or it) expected it should.

I got home and hooked up my old multimeter which showed my battery holding around 12.5V at rest, and 13.6-13.7V while the car is running.

I WFH except for 1 day in-office per week (1 hour each way) and make maybe a few 15-20 min trips locally each week. My battery is original (now 4 years old) and while I'm fine replacing it if need be, it sounds like the bigger concern is whether or not my alternator is putting out the volts it should be.

Thanks,
TimG

Last edited:
Seems the first few posts on this thread all stated that 13.6-13.7V was correct. And for the record, I concur.

Seems the first few posts on this thread all stated that 13.6-13.7V was correct. And for the record, I concur.
Thank you for the confirmation, RB. 👍

I guess this is just another example of why one should always question anything these auto repair chain stores tell you about what's wrong with your car.

Back