almost overheating now

batty13

So i replaced thermostat etc all good there. BUT....
Now its still getting really really hot ( but no longer overheating like it was). I think the fans are not coming on now.

what are the few things I can check to see if this is the problem? (radiator cooling fans).

Shouldnt the fan come on shortly after the car is started? I dont see either of them turning on at all now. Where are the fuses or relays located at?

Im going crazy with this.

Thanks!

What do you think over-heating is?
Do the fans come on at all?
And no the fans should not come on right after the vehicle starts they should engage when needed.
Does the heater work in the car well?

im not sure yet about the fans I will check it as i drive home.

heater works but it takes about 15 minutes or so.

while driving needle reaches up to near H but not quite full H. SO yeah overheating but nothing like it was doing before.

Now while driving it gets close for a few minutes then something happens and it drops (thermostat clearing it up I am guessing)

after getting to work the coolant reserve tank is empty..

later there is a puddle of coolant by left side tire after parked for some time underneath the reserve tank area. no leaks on radiator hoses. nothing else on that side of the car that I can see for coolant other than reserve tank and hoses.

thermostat is working as top radiator hose gets hot to touch after running sometime and i can feel coolant moving through it.

well i think that the reserve/expansion tank is broken or somethings amiss there as it does not leak until the car sits after driving for sometime. I.e. the leak stops until the car drives and gets hot again. what i think is happening there is the car is sending coolant back to the expansion tank and then its leaking out from there which explains why i see and can find no leak anywhere on any of the hoses.

about to leave and will post later about the fans..

Update to the overheating issues that I had where my car would always over heat the faster/longer I drove it. Never in stop and go which actually kept it cool. I also had a problem with always needing to add more coolant, which more often than not was boiling hot. Loss of coolant could have been a leak but was never external.

I changed everything out in the cooling system trying to get it fixed and nothing worked. Dont think I ever got that pressure test done though. Found out later it was a problem with the head gasket.

None of the mechanics could figure out what the problem was and kept telling me to replace parts I already had, so I just took it easy all of the time which wasn't too bad as I live out in the country and seldom drove over 60.

Much later my check engine light came on and getting that diagnosed I found out I had a problem with the head gasket. Thankfully the head was not blown or cracked. The symptoms from a leaking head gasket were the exact same problems that I was having, the mechanic at this new place informed me. Looking it up online later, it was true. The symptoms were identical. Fixing the head gasket solved all of those other problems and set me back about 1k.

wow, wouldn't you be losing lots of water? or smoking white? or having oil in your coolant?
i m having the same issue, but i am suspecting it is the CTS (coolant temp sensor)
i am going thru the exact same issues you are...and if it is the headgasket...sucks!

wow, wouldn't you be losing lots of water? or smoking white? or having oil in your coolant?
i m having the same issue, but i am suspecting it is the CTS (coolant temp sensor)
i am going thru the exact same issues you are...and if it is the headgasket...sucks!

More likely would be coolant in your oil, not vice versa. Which also is the cause of the white smoke (burnt coolant). Easy way to tell, change your oil and if your oil is milky, then you got problems...

Fix the leak first thing!!! It doesn't make sense to diagnose the rest of the system if you're losing coolant anyways.

Does the coolant leave specific marks/corrosion on the spark plugs? This would definately be even easier than an oil change...

it will usually show as condensation on the plugs and avbiously white smoke on the tail pipe

i am having a problem that the fan do not come on and if they do, they don't stay on for long.
when i disconenct the temp sensor, they work perfectly..wereas is i leave it conencted, the fans do come on but the car overheats

Back