Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal

No negatives, and since I've gotten accustomed to the sound and extra power, I can't say any more about the positives unless I put it back in, and then lose something.

G-Papi said:
No negatives, and since I've gotten accustomed to the sound and extra power, I can't say any more about the positives unless I put it back in, and then lose something.

Just took mine off in less than 5 mins. Drove it around all day yesterday, and noticed no difference in power gain. And it sounds the same to me. With windows/roof closed and or open. Sounds normal... I think i will leave it off for a few weeks, pop the baffle back on, and see if there is any difference that way.

Is there any K&N drop in filter for the CX7 available out there?(ughdance)

CXseven said:
Just took mine off in less than 5 mins. Drove it around all day yesterday, and noticed no difference in power gain. And it sounds the same to me. With windows/roof closed and or open. Sounds normal... I think i will leave it off for a few weeks, pop the baffle back on, and see if there is any difference that way.

Is there any K&N drop in filter for the CX7 available out there?(ughdance)

Same filter as the speed6

Most of the Mazda line up has that baffle, the CX7 is the easiest of the bunch to remove, there is a slight noise difference, performance gain is minimal- Make sure that baffle is reinstalled when going back to dealers for service or warranty. Some may make an issue of it and cause you headaches.(enguard)

Baffles back in, & replaced stock with a K&N filter (speed 6) for a month now.
Result: A lot better, w/better response (some hp gain), avg mpg = 21. (drive2)

CXseven said:
Any problems with oil, getting on the MAF sensor ??? I heard from my friend the service mgr. that the it happens alot with the K & N filters.

CXseven said:
Did the K&N filter help the MPG? What were you getting before putting in the new filter?

CX7andMiata said:
Did the K&N filter help the MPG? What were you getting before putting in the new filter?

my question is: the pn that im seeing posted is for a ms6 with a 6cyl. 33-2279. as far as i can see the 33-2278 is for the 2.3l 4 cyl fi. anyone verify this??? im trying to order one online. at autozone 55+ and have to order also...

ottoblotto said:
my question is: the pn that im seeing posted is for a ms6 with a 6cyl. 33-2279. as far as i can see the 33-2278 is for the 2.3l 4 cyl fi. anyone verify this??? im trying to order one online. at autozone 55+ and have to order also...

heres what i found:

33-2278 Product Specifications

Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 0.875 in (22 mm)
Outside Length: 12.563 in (319 mm)
Outside Width: 6.875 in (175 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.08 oz (32 ml)
Weight: 1 lb (0.4 kg)
Product Box Length: 13.5 in (343 mm)
Product Box Width: 7.75 in (197 mm)
Product Box Height: 1.75 in (44 mm)

K&N Applications for 33-2278

2006 MAZDA MPV 3.0L V6 F/I - All
2005 MAZDA 6 1.8L L4 F/I - All
2005 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 DSL - All
2005 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 F/I - All
2005 MAZDA 6 2.3L L4 F/I - All
2005 MAZDA MPV 3.0L V6 F/I - All
2004 MAZDA 6 1.8L L4 F/I - All
2004 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 DSL - All
2004 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 F/I - All
2004 MAZDA 6 2.3L L4 F/I - All
2004 MAZDA MPV 3.0L V6 F/I - All
2003 MAZDA 6 1.8L L4 F/I - All
2003 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 DSL - All
2003 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 F/I - All
2003 MAZDA 6 2.3L L4 F/I - All
2002 MAZDA 6 1.8L L4 F/I - All
2002 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 DSL - All
2002 MAZDA 6 2.0L L4 F/I - All

33-2279 Product Specifications
Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 0.938 in (24 mm)
Outside Length: 12.188 in (310 mm)
Outside Width: 6.875 in (175 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.99 oz (29 ml)
Weight: 1 lb (0.4 kg)
Product Box Length: 13.5 in (343 mm)
Product Box Width: 7.75 in (197 mm)
Product Box Height: 1.75 in (44 mm)

K&N Applications for 33-2279

2005 MAZDA 6 3.0L V6 F/I - All
2004 MAZDA 6 3.0L V6 F/I - All
2003 MAZDA 6 3.0L V6 F/I - All
2002 MAZDA 6 3.0L V6 F/I - All

1Sleepy93 said:
Here's the pics.

Here is the airbox in all it's glory!

cx-7airbox.jpg

Shot with the cover off and filter exposed. (I found it easier to remove the lid with the plug to the MAF disconnected and removed from the wire harness clip on the box)

cx-7filter.jpg

Bottom of the airbox before the mod.

cx-7airboxmodbefore.jpg

Bottom of the airbox after the mod.

cx-7airboxmodafter.jpg

Piece that was removed from the airbox.

cx-7airboxremovedpiece.jpg

Hi there

did any body noticed that thers is a secand hole in the air box once u remove the piece from it, what is it??????(pissed) (pissed) (enguard)

That goes down to the resonator chamber. I know many Speed6 owners have removed the chamber to get an almost cold air intake. (It sucks air from the wheel well). It also makes it so that you can really hear the sucking of the turbo and you can hear the BOV a little bit.

Just have to be careful because in rain the airfilter gets wet.

any idea how to remove the resonator chamber on the CX7 yet? Just took the baffle out and I wouldn't mind doing the other if it's not too much of a pain in the ass!

lisevolution said:
any idea how to remove the resonator chamber on the CX7 yet? Just took the baffle out and I wouldn't mind doing the other if it's not too much of a pain in the ass!
you don't need to remove the chamber. only to pull out the air box and turn around the conectin piece of piping, ie b/w box and the resonator.i did it and works fine

I pulled out the silencer piece nad it took me less than 2 minutes from popping the hood to shutting it. Very easy, not much of a noise difference though, at least not to me. But I'm used to my MSP that sounds like a freaking jet engine when I get on it.

Thanks for this write up! I know its an older thread, but turns out they part number for the filter seems to be the same as the K&N drop-in I purchased for my MS6 prior to my MS CAI.

Usually the "resonator" is there to smooth out the air flow. In some vehicles the intake pulses can mess up the MAF voltage. I think I will not remove the resonator for this reason.

02 protege...

i was wondering if this same mod would be able to be done on an 02 protege 2.0. i took off the left front wheel and the splash guard thinking that the intake resonator would be almost behind the headlight but closer to the engine, sort of at the gap between the place where the front splash guard and the transmission splash guard meet, but i wasn't able to find it anywhere...

Back