Air controls sorta kaput in car

PimpDaddyJ

:
Mazda Speed 2003
Well to add to the winter fun, my controls for air in the car are sorta funky now, settings 1,2,3 produce no blow (bj) , but 4 works. Anyone else have this come up? I will be taking it to the dealership but just seeing if any other msp's had this come up.

nope.post what the dealer tells you though cause my wifes car is also like that.

That hasn't happend to me either (knock on wood) but has anyone else seen there AC light turn off then on when you turn the fan switch from 1 to 2. Also in my girlfriends and my moms car the rear defrost turns off after a couple minutes. But in my MSP it doesn't turn off unless I turn it off. Are these symtoms the same for everyone else.

Fixing Heater controls

PimpDaddyJ said:
Well to add to the winter fun, my controls for air in the car are sorta funky now, settings 1,2,3 produce no blow (bj) , but 4 works. Anyone else have this come up? I will be taking it to the dealership but just seeing if any other msp's had this come up.
The Air Direction and Blower controls are cable opperated. The tension is properly maintained by a metal clip that holds the cable taught.

Pull the Front Bezel off and look for the metal clip that will still be on the cable. It has a notch and is designed so that you line up the notch on a piece of the plastic framing inside. (look around and you will see where it goes). Push it on and the "teeth" will lock it in.

Let me know if you need a pic. I found a manual online but have it at home.

I had to figure this out a couple of months ago when I inadvertently disloged mine while installing an EBC.

I think the fan knob is operated via an electric switch...as the fan is electrically powered. I had one go bad on my last car, and that's what it took to repair. Worth having the dealer do it, though I'd warn them not to **** up the silver paint on the bezel!

the fan switch is electrical. its a rotary switch that connects one of the 4 positions to a ground wire. why 1-3 do not work, im not sure, but please post if you do find out what went wrong. it could be the switch itself, i guess. if you want to test it out yourself, after removing the bezel, you well see the fan connector, its black and has 5 wires. 4 blueish and one black. black is your ground. if you jumper each one, one at a time, you should activate the fan, just make sure you use thick enough wire.

Last edited:
The Air Direction and Blower controls are cable opperated. The tension is properly maintained by a metal clip that holds the cable taught.

Pull the Front Bezel off and look for the metal clip that will still be on the cable. It has a notch and is designed so that you line up the notch on a piece of the plastic framing inside. (look around and you will see where it goes). Push it on and the "teeth" will lock it in.

i believe thats your answer because my friend had the same problem with his mp3 except his fan settings were fine it was his heat that wouldnt work.

Back