After Market GPS Installation. NO DRILL

:
Mazda CX9
I just installed my Magellan Navigation unit into my CX-9.

On a scale of 1-10 the difficulty level of this task is about a 3. I've done this on just about every vehicle I've owned for the past 10-12 years. The CX-9 was about the easiest to take apart and put together than any of them!

I used the Proclip mount and fuse tap that I grabbed from my old Murano. The mount "sorta" fit, but after a few strips of velcro and some dremmil work it looks almost custom.

Here we go:

Aside from your mount you'll need about $12 worth of parts:

1. A tap-a-circuit:
WIR-3013.jpg
2. An auxiliary power outlet:
V5350.jpg
3. Some Titanium Velcro
Velcro-USA-91471-rw-250131-353774.jpg
3. Your GPS, Plug in power cord, and mount. (Note the business side of the velcro installed on the mount)
IMG_1144.jpg

Remove the following parts from your car...

The first thing you need to do is open the glove box and remove the access panel to the fusebox.

Remove the kickplate under the glove box by pulling it towards you, dropping the edge down and pushing it out of the clips.

Remove the Side plate from the console.

NOTE: The kickplate and side plate are quite easy to disconnect/reconnect. I know my explanation sux, but once you attempt it you'll see how easy it is.

Now that you've got the entire front open, here's what you do....

Remove the 15 amp auxiliary outlet fuse from the fuse box and replace it with the tap-a-circuit fuse/wire. I used the fuse on the bottom right of the fuse box. This is the fuse for your front power port. Put 2 15 amp fuses into the tap-a-circuit. (This photo shows a 20 amp fuse which has since been replaced by a 15)
IMG_1140.jpg

Using some titanium Velcro, attach your new power outlet to the top side of the kick plate.
IMG_1145.jpg

Connect a ground wire to the 17mm bolt in the middle of the console floor.
IMG_1142.jpg

• Connect the power wire from the outlet to the power connection from the tap-a-circuit.
  • Connect the ground wire to the power outlet.

Figure your mount placement and put the soft side of the velcro in place.
IMG_1143.jpg

Plug your GPS power cord into the outlet.
IMG_1146.jpg

From this point it's just a matter of tucking and wrapping the wires and snapping the parts back together. When it's all done it should look something like this..
IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

The NAV fires up when you start the car and turns off 30 seconds after you shut down. It's still removable, and can be taken into rentals.

The position is perfectly viewable and accessible from the drivers position, but the passenger can work it quite well. One thing I like about after-market systems is that they can be programmed while moving. Also, for the price of a factory map update, I can just replace the entire unit.

Don't get me wrong, factory NAV's are way cool, but this setup has worked well for me for a long time.

Hope this helps someone out there!

FYI: This installation is TOTALLY REVERSIBLE! I've had dealers try to disallow warranty work based on aftermarket items being installed.

DISCLAIMER: These instructions are merely a guide. If you blow yourself or your car or your electronic stuff up. It's not my fault!

Looks Good ... Does the power stay on all the time, even when the ignition is turned off ??

Looks Good ... Does the power stay on all the time, even when the ignition is turned off ??

No, the power is switched off and on with the ignition. But, you could easily tap into another fuse that has constant power if you prefer.

Mine is wired to the front power port fuse. When you start the car, the unit fires up. When you shut off the car, the GPS goes into countdown mode. It reads, "shutting down in 20 seconds, press yes to shutdown now, or press no to stay on" (or something like that.) If you do nothing (99% of the time), the unit just shuts down in 20 seconds.

Since the NAV unit has a battery in it, you can manually turn on the GPS regardless if the ignition is on or not. You can even disconnect the GPS, and take it with you and it will run on the battery for several hours (or hand it to a back seat passenger for programming). I have another power cord so I can and have taken this unit onto planes and into rental cars.

Also, if you're parked in a "shady" area, you can quickly unhook the unit and stash it out of sight.

Nice write-up.

I too just put in a GPS unit. My preferred location was on top of the upper readout on the dash. (Less intrusive imo, and since I'm tall it barely obstructs any windshield view whatsoever)

I too used a 12v plug like you did, but I instead tapped into the existing 12v in the front stack, and ran the wires behind the center stack. I did have to drill a tiny hole in the center speaker grille (Not sure if only the Bose has this grille) to feed the single wire to the GPS. Mine too shuts down when the power is turned off - which is exactly what I want, and all wiring is completely hidden save for about 4 inches behind the GPS unit where it goes into the grille. (Which is really hidden behind the unit anyway)

My 2007 does not come with bluetooth (no nav), so the built-in bluetooth on the GPS is a nice secondary function with this install.

What happens to the front power port when you tap that fuse? I have a radar dectector that I would not want to interfere with.

What do you mean "what happens"? Nothing! It works as it should. My only small concern since the wires are really quite thin is overloading that port. You might not want high-draw items in there at the same time. A radar detector or GPS shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, you are just adding a port, not clogging one up.

I use this setup to allow the front port to remain open.

You could use this setup to run your radar detector with no problem.

Caustic: My wires are also tucked into the console. There is just an inch of wiring visible behind the GPS.

Oh for sure man. Its a very clean install.

The only reason I picked a higher position is because looking down tends to take my eyes off the road. But using the extra tap to the fuse box is a great route which I certainly could have done as well.

Back