After All This Time, Here I Go, Again- STILL Might Turbo my P5

StevieB

Just bought a p5 (putting this here b/c there are more Proteges than P5's, figured what I want to do is generic enough to both models) and plan on pulling the stock motor out of mine (bumped too many times, BS bodyshop- Fairgrounds Body Shop, Marietta, do NOT do business with them- didn't pull RR suspension/frame like they should have) in this one.

"New" motor has spun bearing but apparently no worse damage. I have a turbo setup that was on a P5 show car sponsored by Mazdaspeed and Oakley several years; turbo setup has been sitting on my shelf for YEARS. No turbo or wastgate, otherwise fairly complete. No engine management system, either, I only have the stock P5 ECM/etc. Thinking I will build up this motor with forged bottom for turbo use later.

(Re-read my old posts, btw.)

Still want modest gains- 200HP sounds reasonable to me- your thoughts?

Do not have LSD, not planning on going with particularly wide tires or mistreating the car on take off, so I hope I am okay without it- thoughts?

would VERY much like to avoid tuner-type engine management stuff- how can that be done?

If I rebuild this motor with forged bottom and then decide to not turbo the car, after all, what do you think the engine and/or turbo setup (which includes full 3" exhaust system with hi-flow cat) would sell for?

Thanks.

Just bought a p5 (putting this here b/c there are more Proteges than P5's, figured what I want to do is generic enough to both models) and plan on pulling the stock motor out of mine (bumped too many times, BS bodyshop- Fairgrounds Body Shop, Marietta, do NOT do business with them- didn't pull RR suspension/frame like they should have) in this one.

"New" motor has spun bearing but apparently no worse damage. I have a turbo setup that was on a P5 show car sponsored by Mazdaspeed and Oakley several years; turbo setup has been sitting on my shelf for YEARS. No turbo or wastgate, otherwise fairly complete. No engine management system, either, I only have the stock P5 ECM/etc. Thinking I will build up this motor with forged bottom for turbo use later.

(Re-read my old posts, btw.)

Still want modest gains- 200HP sounds reasonable to me- your thoughts?

Do not have LSD, not planning on going with particularly wide tires or mistreating the car on take off, so I hope I am okay without it- thoughts?

would VERY much like to avoid tuner-type engine management stuff- how can that be done?

If I rebuild this motor with forged bottom and then decide to not turbo the car, after all, what do you think the engine and/or turbo setup (which includes full 3" exhaust system with hi-flow cat) would sell for?

Thanks.

200hp shouldn't be too hard to accomplish with an FS, but you might want to consider starting at 150-160 if you decide to use the stock differential. These cars are known for gobs and gobs of torque steer, so unless you enjoy the one wheel peel at wot and no traction...you may want to look at least getting a welded MSP differential or an aftermarket differential.

Being a mazda protege (honestly a low-grade japanese car) you won't get much for the car stock or forged. You can do anything you want to do to a mazda FS and it is still....well...a mazda FS. Once you forge it though, I'm sure you'll keep the car.(headbang)

The biggest factor is a good tune. You needdddd a good tune. These cars are fuel injection...they require some kind of computer to run them efficiently.

Back