After 2+yrs, iON Exhaust TOO Loud - Suggestions?

TampaBlackMSP

:
'03 Blk Mica MSP
Ok, while I've loved the performance of my iON exhaust, it's just too damn loud for me - being a 32 yr. old with absolutely no punkass intentions, and after already putting in the iON resonator, it's still too much for me - I'm thinking of replacing the muffler itself with something quieter, yet still free flowing - any suggestions?? Does Borla, Magnaflow, etc. make a quiet performance muffler - has to be 3" inlet of course as well...any insight is much appreciated!

you could put in a muffler that has a silencer then you can adjust it, vibrant makes really nice ones

I have an RSR muffler from hopupracing.com
It is really quiet with the silencer hooked up but i took it out... ha ha!
it has a 3" inlet so it would work with the ion

dug around in the exhaust faq:

Awww come on, can’t you help me out any more? Ok ok, here’s a few mufflers I recommend: 5zigen, Blitz, HKS, A’PEXi, RS*R, Tanabe, Greddy, JIC-Magic, Skunk2, Veilside, Thermal R&D, Magnaflow, Hayame, Tsudo, AC Revolution, Vibrant. I have not heard a Veilside, RS*R, or Skunk2 muffler myself, but I understand they are good. Personally, I think it would be badass if someone got a Fujitsubo muffler.

The louder mufflers are usually Blitz, Tanabe, Skunk2, and Veilside.
The quieter mufflers are usually 5zigen, HKS, A’PEXi, with HKS being the quietest.
The rest are somewhere in-between.

The cheaper mufflers are usually Thermal R&D, Magnaflow, Hayame, Tsudo, AC Revolution, and Vibrant. These are usually in the $100-$150 range.
The “JDM” brands run in the $200-$250 range but can reach upwards of $300 depending on the type of material used.

Striker187 said:
The cheaper mufflers are usually Thermal R&D, Magnaflow, Hayame, Tsudo, AC Revolution, and Vibrant. These are usually in the $100-$150 range.
The JDM brands run in the $200-$250 range but can reach upwards of $300 depending on the type of material used.

When you say "cheaper muffers" are you talking about price or quality?? I want to buy the Magnaflow because I'm also sick of a loud muffler. I've heard that the Greddy SP2 and Magnaflow are among some of the quieter mufflers, but the Greddy has too much of a "raspy" sound to it. I've heard that between the two, I'm better off getting the Magnaflow. I've heard the sound clips but they don't really help unless every clip is done by the same camera, by the same car, and in the same way. The only problem with the Magnaflow IMO is the way it looks, I don't like the 2 piece muffler (OEM style) What do you guys think??

sorry, cheaper as in pricewise. magnaflow's pretty loud. my friend had the oval es caniser on his turbo civic, man that sucker droned. but it sounded good. magnaflow does make N1 style canisters i believe. check me on that but i'm almost certain i remember seeing them.

Yes, I know some of the Canister Magnaflows drone pretty bad. My friend has one on his MX3 and damn it's loud. I'm asking about the one that's supposed to be built for the MSP. It's a cat-back exhaust.

I think my Greddy is almost as quiet as stock, but I love the Greddy growl. Wouldn't call it raspy, not even close. I have to agree with the Magnaflow comment. I just put two on my Mustang and it sounds just as loud as the 12 year old Flowmasters they replaced.

onequickmsp said:
Yes, I know some of the Canister Magnaflows drone pretty bad. My friend has one on his MX3 and damn it's loud. I'm asking about the one that's supposed to be built for the MSP. It's a cat-back exhaust.

loud. even though the quality isn't great, watch krillin's vids. you can hear the exhaust even from way off in the distance.

TampaBlackMSP said:
Ok, while I've loved the performance of my iON exhaust, it's just too damn loud for me - being a 32 yr. old with absolutely no punkass intentions, and after already putting in the iON resonator, it's still too much for me - I'm thinking of replacing the muffler itself with something quieter, yet still free flowing - any suggestions?? Does Borla, Magnaflow, etc. make a quiet performance muffler - has to be 3" inlet of course as well...any insight is much appreciated!
PUT IN A 3" CAT PERFORMANCE (WALKER) AND A DYNOMAX TURBO MUFFLER
SOUND IS GOOD NOT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!(poke)

TampaBlackMSP said:

I am going to put in a magnaflow muffler on my, corksport exhaust to see if it shut's it up a bit.I'll let you know how that go's....

Have you checked all the clamp's that hold your exhaust together? IIRC your exhaust had the round clamps that bolt together around the piping instead of a flange. I don't remember your exhaust being loud at all...

Good luck with it, let me know if you need any help.

EGR nut maybe,or have you gotten that fixed?

Last edited:
mspeed#267 said:
I am going to put in a magnaflow muffler on my, corksport exhaust to see if it shut's it up a bit.I'll let you know how that go's....

Good call...I have the cat-back and it has a great tone...no rice there(headbang)

crashkelly said:
definately more quiet than the 3" canisters...

My,buddy has a magnaflow on his gsr swapped hatch and it sound's really good....that's saying alot being that, most N/A civic's I hear sound like complete s***...

Nice mod list.Our setup's are almost the same give or take a few thing's.....Edit:My old setup that is...(glare)

Anyway's, how's the AWR front&rear/L&R side mount combo working for you? I have the 70duro's & Side mounts on the way.

Last edited:
Anyway's, how's the AWR front&rear/L&R side mount combo working for you? I have the 70duro's & Side mounts on the way.[/QUOTE]

Personally I love it...but I'm sure a lot of people would get really sick of it. There's a lot of vibration and for awhile a lot of my plastic rattled...I actually got really sick of the rattling, but with the help of some air conditioner insulation foam I pinpointed a lot of the rattles and neutralized them. Having no engine lash or wheel hop is great...Corksport wont even give you a warranty on their exhaust items without having proof youve installed at least the front and rear AWRs because the stock mounts are so bad they cause the exhaust to break off at the midpipe (which happened to me actually)

mspeed#267 said:
My,buddy has a magnaflow on his gsr swapped hatch and it sound's really good....that's saying alot being that, most N/A civic's I hear sound like complete s***...

Nice mod list.Our setup's are almost the same give or take a few thing's.....
QUOTE]

What is your current setup by the way?

crashkelly said:
Personally I love it...but I'm sure a lot of people would get really sick of it. There's a lot of vibration and for awhile a lot of my plastic rattled...I actually got really sick of the rattling, but with the help of some air conditioner insulation foam I pinpointed a lot of the rattles and neutralized them. Having no engine lash or wheel hop is great...Corksport wont even give you a warranty on their exhaust items without having proof youve installed at least the front and rear AWRs because the stock mounts are so bad they cause the exhaust to break off at the midpipe (which happened to me actually)

Sound's like I might be able to live with the AWR Mounts...I'm Thinking of having a flex section welded in on the, corksport mid-pipe when I put on the magnaflow also....<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

crashkelly said:
What is your current setup by the way?

Not everything has been installed/gotten here yet but, this it what it will be:GT28RS,Turbohoses Hardpipe/V2 SMIC,TurboXS BPV/MBC But, the Boost controller will not be going back on with the RS,DSMConvert AFC,WRX 440cc,walbaro GSS342 fuel pump<--Maybe,AEM WB,Autometer Boost/Volt gauges,Corksport Full Exhaust w/magnaflow muffler,Modified Injen Intake,Exedy Stage1 Clutch,Corksport JDM flywheel,All AWR motor mounts,kartboy shifter bushings,Enkei RS7's<---maybe,BFG G-Force T/A KDW NT,pioneer headunit,12" rockford sub,And alot of little stuff I'm sure,I'm leaving out......

Last edited:
Back