Advance Locking System

I think she was pushing wrong button on tailgate, I did something similar when I first got CX-5 Grand Touring.

2 buttons back there and next to each other: 1 is the request button (to lock and unlock), 1 button is tailgate release (to open hatch). I have seen Mazda service advisor get confused, (not that they are that competent).

She was definitely using the lift gate release. She doesn't bother with the request button since it only locks and can't unlock the doors.

She was definitely using the lift gate release. She doesn't bother with the request button since it only locks and can't unlock the doors.

Who knows, we weren't there and it was not reproducible unfortunately. Nothing definite about that episode. Good point, that request button only locks, not unlocks. TBD maybe.

Last edited:
I don't see the point of the tailgate button?
So never use it, I just have the doors set to autolock after walking away.

Lift gate not locking

Have a 2016 cx-5 GT, therefore new to the "advanced systems". When locking the doors with the remote, the doors lock, but the lift gate does not. Calling the dealership, they said that I stand too close to the car, so the car "anticipates" that I am not really serious with the locking request!? The doors are closed, though. Is the lift gate smarter than the doors? (Joke). Seriously, what am I doing wrong, or do not understand? Note: I am an engineer, so logical thinking is not my weakest quality.

If the remote is on your body the lift gate will never seem locked. Go in the house, push the lock button twice, hear the lock honk, leave the remote in the house. Now go outside and try to unlock the liftgate, it should be locked, if not, it is not working correctly. Good luck.

If the remote is on your body the lift gate will never seem locked. Go in the house, push the lock button twice, hear the lock honk, leave the remote in the house. Now go outside and try to unlock the liftgate, it should be locked, if not, it is not working correctly. Good luck.

This. The liftgate will open when you try to open it if you have the remote near you.

I don't know if this trick will work with the CX-5 remotes but in the past I have used a cellphone to unlock a car remotely. It's not some crazy app or anything but if you lock your fob in the car and call home, where your other key fob is, have the person on the other end of the line hold the key fob up to the phone while pressing the unlock button. The person at the car needs to hold their phone close to the car and the signal should be able to go thru the phone and unlock the doors. I tried it on my protg5 and my wifes A4 and it worked for both cars. I haven't tried it on the CX-5. We never actually locked the keys on in the car or anything but tested it to see if it would work

I don't know if this trick will work with the CX-5 remotes but in the past I have used a cellphone to unlock a car remotely. It's not some crazy app or anything but if you lock your fob in the car and call home, where your other key fob is, have the person on the other end of the line hold the key fob up to the phone while pressing the unlock button. The person at the car needs to hold their phone close to the car and the signal should be able to go thru the phone and unlock the doors. I tried it on my protg5 and my wifes A4 and it worked for both cars. I haven't tried it on the CX-5. We never actually locked the keys on in the car or anything but tested it to see if it would work

Seriously?? Wow haha!

I'm going to retract my previous statement. I guess it actually doesn't work. I think what was happening was that somehow the phone was boosting the power and range of the remote. I guess it's not even technically possible bi could have sworn it worked but the Internet and myth busters have disproved it.

Thank you for the advice - this worked, and the locking system works fine (tried different options). It looks like the lift gate is different (has life on its own), than the doors. Just need to accept it, and not figure out the logic.

I Like Your Idea...

Go to home depot and have them copy the hard key in your fob, buy a magnetic key box and put it under the hood just if front of the wipers. If ever locked out use it to open car door.

"GAXIBM"...

I never thought of that. I mean I've had spare keys in a mag key box before, but always placed them some where else on the vehicle. You gave a good key box placement. Easy to find by ones who know where it is... but hard to see by those who don't know it's there.

CX5T Lover

Thank you for the advice - this worked, and the locking system works fine (tried different options). It looks like the lift gate is different (has life on its own), than the doors. Just need to accept it, and not figure out the logic.

There is a sensor at the rear of the car that will let you open the trunk without unlocking the car if you have the fob on you. If you open the trunk and close it again it will still be locked after you walk away. The only way to test it is have someone else take the key s few feet away from the trunk out of the range of the sensor. Your trunk is operating as designed.

Latest posts

Back