AC Compressor removal

destineal

Contributor
:
Black Mica #129
I'm currently in the process of swaping heads on my car. My A/C hasn't been working for sometime, and now I know why.....The fan clutch on the Ac compressor has decided to move out. I don't feel comfortable, not replacing the compressor, but don't I need to drain the entire system to remove the compressor?

2011-07-17205522.jpg

VS

2011-07-17205756.jpg

Yes you will lose all of the freon and the oil. Make sure to get a new expansion valve and drier too. Adds money but also gets you the compressor warranty, without them no warranty. Replace them yourself to save some coin and take it to a shop to have the system vacuumed down and charged. Usually costs about 80 bucks, DO NOT use over the counter charging kits, It will never work right and you might blow the compressor.

So what's the backyard way to do it? I have a fitting for the low side but nothing for the highside.

Either buy an 85 dollar set of manifold gauges and a vac pump for 50 plus 2lbs of R-134 at 15.00 a lb. plus oil at 9.00 for 8oz. so DIY CORRECTLY for ~175 or get it done right for less than 100.

Back