A real newbie with an option question

:
2009 Mazda5 Sport (5 speed), 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i (CVT)
I currently own an MPV and an old Volvo. Sometime in not so distant future (perhaps before the year is over) I will be owning two Mazdas: the MPV and 5 Sport with a manual transmission. A few weeks ago as the MPV was getting its oil changed, I bounced around the showroom and talked to a salesman who told me that even though the manual transmission and the moon roof are mutually exclusive, the dealership can install the moon roof after the delivery. On one hand, I felt he was saying this just to please me and make me buy a car, yet on the other hand, it seemed very logical as the moon roof is certainly an option and I do not think that the roof is different in the cars with different transmission.

Does anyone have experience with this?

On one hand, I felt he was saying this just to please me and make me buy a car, yet on the other hand, it seemed very logical as the moon roof is certainly an option and I do not think that the roof is different in the cars with different transmission.
Uuuh, I think your dealer's trying to pull one over on you. He's wrong. FWIW, I have a Mazda5 Touring w/5MT... the Touring comes with a moonroof.

However, I just went to MazdaUSA.com and spec'ed one out and it let you add a moonroof as an option with a Mazda5 Sport 5MT. I dunno, either MazdaUSA.com or the salesman is wrong... I'd place a safe bet it's the salesman.

Good luck!

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 149
I would be a bit leery of that dealer. The touring and up Mazda 5s have always had a sunroof. The Sunroof is also a option on the sport. On the 05-07s it was just a touring minus side sills and auto climate control, for 08 I think the taillights are the main difference. There is really no such thing as a "dealer installed" sunroof. The dealer options are things like floor mats and mud guards (things that bolt onto the car. A dealer may have a contract with an aftermarket sunroof installer, but aftermarket sunroofs are bad news in my book. Great profit for the dealer, but nobody to fix in when it breaks.

I've had "aftermarket sunroofs" on a couple cars. THey're just the "flip-up" type, not the power sliding glass panel like the factory moonroofs 5's come with. I wouldn't advise against one, as long as the place that installs it does it right. The 2 cars I had with them never leaked after 5 or so years at least. THey did creak/rattle over bumps, but my 5 already does that... Personally I think the sales guy happened to have an auto moonroof 5 he wanted to sell you, instead of actually ordering you one equipped the way you wanted. The Mazda place by me was really reluctant to actually order me a 5, for some reason.

Attachments

• G_11991G_CL_1.jpg
    G_11991G_CL_1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 136
they do have aftermarket sunroof that slide into the car.. there's 3 type, the flip up one, sliding into the car and sliding upward like on our 5s.

sorry, one more thing.. in a dealership.. everything is possible.. just for a price.. hahahaha.. u can get heated seats install too if u don't have them.. u'll be surprise how much stuff u can add onto a car

Contrary to what the MazdaUSA Web Site says, in 2008 there are still Tourings with Manual Transmission... al least in Ohio! The MazdaUSA site does not seem to get it right (I think). It also said the only Sport model with Popular Package could be with AT, yet I got mine with Popular Package and MT.

Here are some Tourings with MT. All Tourings (as jandree22 posted) come with moonroof...

http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3646818&postcount=400

Back