A/C squeal in rain

doctorz

:
'06 Mazda5 Sport MT, '09 Honda Fit Sport MT
I know this has been discussed in a couple of other threads, but I never saw any resolution, so here it is again. The squeal happens when the road is wet enough for puddles and road spray, only when the A/C is on, generally at highway speeds and cruising. It's high-pitched, squealing, lasts for about 5 seconds, and repeats every 1-2 minutes. Throttle or engine speed does not seem to affect the pitch.

The car goes in for its 30K service in the next couple of weeks. It drives totally fine. Dealer glanced at the car when I reported it last summer and couldn't find anything. This time I'm planning on asking them to look really hard since they'll have the car all day. Have any of you found an answer to this issue?

sounds like a drive belt to me... tell them to either replace the accessory belts, or triple check the tension on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem is similar but squeal only lasted 1-3 seconds after A/C turned on. No more squeal in following cycles. It only happens after carwash (I wash underhood, too) and moderate/heavy rain.

I have heard it a few times at highway speed with the AC off. I assume it is the belt getting wet and squealing when the pulley turns faster than the belt momentarily. When you do your next oil change notice the accessory belt is covered by a metal guard at the bottom, that is probably where the water is getting in. Of course it could be the bearings in the AC compressor in your case.

of course, now the thread looks like slvrsleeper is banning him/herself. :)

Thanks for your responses. The car goes in at the beginning of June and I've already secured a loaner car (no cost) and asked the dealer to keep the car until they find something. I'll let you all know if they find an answer.

I experience the same issue with my 07 with a mere 15K on it. Just so you know you're not alone. :)

Lord i hope I'm not banned! I practically live here LOL. Let us know if they find anything unusual, I will be subscibing to this thread. Good Luck!

thanks. We caught the squeal on video last weekend and I'm going to show the dealer mechanics on the video iPod. Service is scheduled for Tuesday.

squeal is here too!

pissin me off really. I have had it back 3 or 4 times with the same thing.

thanks. We caught the squeal on video last weekend and I'm going to show the dealer mechanics on the video iPod. Service is scheduled for Tuesday.

That's an excellent idea to convince the dealer. Most of the time the car will run perfect at the dealership.

My dealer tightened up the belt tensioner. Not the answer, nor did I think it would be. IMO, I just think it's the quality of rubber used for the belt... probably too stiff so when it gets water underneath it, it can't hug the pullies as tight as it should. Just speculation, but that's where I'd place my bet.

Happened endlessly today on my drive out to Pittsburgh through 3hrs of rain... I kept the AC off and just cycled on the defroster every few minutes.

Last edited:
My dealer tightened up the belt tensioner. Not the answer, nor did I think it would be. IMO, I just think it's the quality of rubber used for the belt... probably too stiff so when it gets water underneath it, it can't hug the pullies as tight as it should. Just speculation, but that's where I'd place my bet.

Happened endlessly today on my drive out to Pittsburgh through 3hrs of rain... I kept the AC off and just cycled on the defroster every few minutes.

That's a pain, isn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if you were right. Last year when it happened the dealer said some grease got on the belt and they simply cleaned it off. I don't remember it happening for the rest of the summer, but we had kind of a dry summer and the 5 isn't my daily driver.

Thanks for all the replies, it gives me something to talk about with the dealer in addition to the video. Last I checked it was supposed to be sunny on Tuesday.

afaik, the dealer fixed my squeal. Its pouring right now....and no noises on auto! perfect!

Update: well, there isn't much of one yet. Yesterday the dealer sprayed everything with water, couldn't reproduce anything, etc., tried to "lube" the belts and asked me to return if I still heard it. Last night it rained, so I took the car for a drive and the squeal was still there. So today I returned to the dealer right when thunderstorms were rolling into the area and took a tech for a test drive. It took ideal conditions - A/C on, highway speeds - but the tech finally heard the squeal.

Both the tech and the service manager said that Mazda won't reimburse them for this warranty work unless a tech physically hears the noise, which is why I went to this length. Makes me wonder how much they actually did yesterday, but the car's scheduled to go back next week and they're supposedly going to practically tear down the A/C until they find something. We'll see what happens. At least I've been getting free loaners (Mazda3s).

im going back this week too....I need ac in our humid climate. if i dont use it, it steams up. Im sooooo sick of the squeal. Im looking at the new acura TSX. im giving them another month or so then im taking action on it...as in some type of lemon law. Im not sure what I can do in canada about it.

Update: just spoke with the service advisor. Car has been back to the dealer for two days and they still can't reproduce it. They're replacing the A/C belt even though it looks fine, and they're sealing off a hole that's in the cover just underneath the A/C, in the theory that water must be getting up there somehow in heavy rain. The advisor said he spoke with a few other area dealers and called Mazda, and no one had a better answer, but they all acknowledged they've seen the problem. I'll keep you all updated.

Drove yesterday from Baltimore to DC and back with intermittently hard rain, road spray, A/C on all the way. No squeal! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back