A/C only works in position 1 & 4

This issue is specifically if... on certain setting the a/c light will flicker or not be on at all which means the no a/c only air! With these different units you installed was the a/c light on/off on the same settings?

Confused

I'm confused...if you buy the AC Control from a website which re-sells from junk yards...how do you know that the AC is going to work on all 4 settings? Bah! Damnit, I'm sick of my A/C only working on 1 & 4...too hot in texas. (jerkit)(argh)(jerkit)

are you serious? $30 for the whole thing!?!? Isn't this like $300 from the dealership? I have had no 2-3 for about 2 years now...I am just waiting for 4 to go out. And here in Arizona, where it will probably hit around 115- I will not be a happy camper.

Well almost a year later and my 4th position is going out. This sucks, as it will be hitting 110 here pretty soon. Windows down and sweaty back here I come!

My AC light will come on at 2 & 3 but the fan only works on 1 & 4.

If I toggle the fan between 3 & 4 I can get the AC to come on with the fan.

So basically I have one AC fan speed and that is 3.5.

My AC light will come on at 2 & 3 but the fan only works on 1 & 4.

If I toggle the fan between 3 & 4 I can get the AC to come on with the fan.

So basically I have one AC fan speed and that is 3.5.

Haha that sucks. That is odd that the fan only works on 1 and 4. I just bought a new unit, so hopefully that will fix my problem. I am moving to Kansas City in a few months, so hopefully I can figure it out by then.

Will someone please verify this information for me...seriously, if there is anything to f*ck up...I will do it.

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege 5. When I turn my A/c on in position 1 or 4 (the only positions it still blows cold) the A/C button glows Green. So does this mean that when I order a replacement part I order "W/AC Green Illumination?" And is the AC control panel interchangeable between the 2002 and 2003 or do I need to buy one out of a 2002 only?

Sheeesh. Something so simple and leave it to me to get all kinds of confused.

Will someone please verify this information for me...seriously, if there is anything to f*ck up...I will do it.

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege 5. When I turn my A/c on in position 1 or 4 (the only positions it still blows cold) the A/C button glows Green. So does this mean that when I order a replacement part I order "W/AC Green Illumination?" And is the AC control panel interchangeable between the 2002 and 2003 or do I need to buy one out of a 2002 only?

Sheeesh. Something so simple and leave it to me to get all kinds of confused.

The "Green" is just a color of the light. Lesser Protege's (DX,LX) had an orange light, but I'm sure it's the same switch

well to keep this thread going my speed plug was burnt up, i am going to look at teh wrecking yard for a similar one as i think i have seen them on some of the rx7's i have owned.

oh and Dawson, i jsut took my cd player and storage box out and was able to see the problem was my plug, do that first before taking apart your dash.

Ok its too much to read so I figued I would ask on the end of the thread.
How do you remove the panel?
I have an 02 and mine is having this problem now 7 years later.

Easy, just make note of where ur cables were lined upo to before or you'll end up setting it to feet and you'll get defrost, etc.

How do I go about replacing the unit? I have never taken my dash apart, so I don't even know where to start. Any help?

My bad. I thought I had the answer but I'm just retarded.

Last edited:
Well, call me crazy, but I think I may have located the problem with my ac... any takers?(doh)

I guess I'm going to have to contact a Mazda Dealer to get a replacement part, any one if by chance any chain store might carry the connector?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0046 (1).jpg
    DSC_0046 (1).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 2,249
  • DSC_0047 (1).jpg
    DSC_0047 (1).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSC_0048 (1).jpg
    DSC_0048 (1).jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSC_0049 (1).jpg
    DSC_0049 (1).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,388
I have a 2001 Protege and my position 2 and 3 started blinking.

With melted connectors like that, isn't it a fire hazard? Wouldn't that warrant a recall to replace the faulty part(s)?

I had the same thing happen to mine over 5 yrs ago. I got a used a/c control unit from an 03 (car-parts.com) $35 and cut up the connector a bit to slide some teflon shrink tubing over both of the terminals to isolate them and it's been better than new ever since.

I'm sure the problem is within the a/c control unit board which may not be allowing a good ground or something causing this to happen.

Well, call me crazy, but I think I may have located the problem with my ac... any takers?(doh)

I guess I'm going to have to contact a Mazda Dealer to get a replacement part, any one if by chance any chain store might carry the connector?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the same dmn problem ac doesnt work in the number 2 position, the light flickers and you can feel the ac pump flicker on and off with the light making my car jerk a bit.. wierd

I have the same dmn problem ac doesnt work in the number 2 position, the light flickers and you can feel the ac pump flicker on and off with the light making my car jerk a bit.. wierd

Yep. Then it will stop working on 2 completely, then 3 will start to flicker and go out, leaving you with 1 and 4...then the horror...4 starts to flicker...

fyi
2001-2003 Protege, 2002-2003 Protege5 - A/C SWITCH LIGHT GOES OUT AND / OR FLASHES WITH FAN CONTROL SPEED IN NUMBER 2 POSITION

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2001 - 2003 Protege and 2002 - 2003 Protege5 built prior to 12/2/02 and with VINs lower than JM1BJ23150990.
DESCRIPTION

Customer may experience warm air from the dash vents when operating the A/C system with the fan control speed set in the number 2 position for long periods of time. This condition may be caused by the improper logic within the heater control unit. The heater control unit has been modified to correct this concern.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.​
2. Remove and replace the heater control unit with a modified part according to Workshop Manual (section 07-40 CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL).​
3. Verify repair.​
PART(S) INFORMATION

<TABLE border=1 rules=all cellSpacing=@colsep borderColor=#cccccc cellPadding=0 frame=box><TBODY vAlign=top cellspacing="1" rowspan=""><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Part Number
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Description
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Qty.
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Notes
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">BL8F-61-190D
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Heater control unit
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">1
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Panel Lighting Color: Green
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">BL8W-61-190F
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Heater control unit
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">Panel Lighting Color: Amber
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
WARRANTY INFORMATION

Note: This information applies to verified customer complaints on vehicles covered under normal warranty. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.

<TABLE border=1 rules=all cellSpacing=@colsep borderColor=#cccccc cellPadding=0 frame=box><TBODY vAlign=top align=center cellspacing="1" rowspan=""><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN cellspacing="">Warranty Type
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">A
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN cellspacing="">Symptom Code
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">64
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN cellspacing="">Damage Code
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">9W
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN cellspacing="">Part Number Main Cause
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">SEE PART(S) INFORMATION
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN cellspacing="">Quantity
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top cellspacing="" rowspan=""><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN cellspacing="">Operation Number / Labor Hours:
</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=NaN align=center cellspacing="">XX518XRX / 0.4
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

does anybody know how to change the ac/heater control unit? i can take out the houseing around radio and controls but the "wire on the back on the unit seems pretty tight?

Back