A/C compressor squeel?

BadKarma

Contributor
Tried searching, but came up empty.

Now that we've hit the colder season, my P5 is having a small issue. When the defrost or A/C is on, there is squeeling at idle that sounds much like a belt slipping. Tends to happen more when the car is cold. I'm guessing the bearing for the compressor is on its way out, but is there any short term remedy to cure the squeel? Belt dressing or grease I can throw on the pulley or something to keep it from squeeling for the time being?

Frankly, I'm just being frugal and don't feel like springing for a new compressor and A/C recharge at the moment. (2cents)

Thanks!

Belt tension good? I had my compressor unbolted to cut my ac bracket... to clear my 3" dp... didnt tighten it (the ac bracket) well enough... randomly started squeeling with engine torque.

Tighten the alt belt. It will fix it.

For some reason it only squeals when the a/c cuts on - but it does [rolls eyes]

if tensioning doesn't work, only replace with OEM belts in my opinion. Went through 2 sets of AC Delco belts within 6 months before replacing them with oem ones. Tensions were always good, just for some reason they always squealed.

Goodyear gatorbacks ftw. Check rockauto they clearance them cheap sometimes. Tighten up the belt. And it is not the alternator belt that needs tightened. Powersteering and AC are on one belt while alternator and water pump are the other.

Back