'87 325is Coupe

Max Archer

:
'12 Mazda 2 Touring 5MT/'87 325IS 2DR 5MT
This is my project car, which I haven't really been able to work on myself in a few years because it's at my parents' house 400mi from me, though it's been in and out of the shop for stuff recently

Here's an old photo, I wish I had a more recent one. I'll take something next time I'm there.

E30 Project by maximstensel, on Flickr

It's a 1987 325is coupe with a 5spd. It's pretty much fully loaded, with the short-ratio trans, power everything, LSD, and the sport steering wheel and Recaro seats. Mechanically it's actually in pretty good condition, and it's shockingly fast for what it is, thanks to around 160HP and super short gears, but it needs a new suspension and a lot of cosmetic and interior work. The biggest problem right now is that the ratchet teeth on the driver's seat are broken, which means the seat can't go upright. Try driving a moderately fast car on blown shocks while halfway lying down, it'll scare the crap out of you!

The cool thing is that these cars are so popular that parts are everywhere and relatively affordable. Even little things like a replacement sport badge for the steering wheel are available. Now it's just waiting for me to put some money into it and get it really cleaned up, and it'll be an awesome car - the only problem is that my new Mazda2 is similarly cheap to mod and fun to drive, so it'll be siphoning a lot of the budget away.

Back