680whp FSDE

these is an insane proof of what these engine can really do. FSDE all the way. there is no need to get or buy another car to pimp some serious s*** out there... Mazda Proteges for life !!!!

GTX gears and stock protege gears are the exact same gear... Found this out recently.

You got scammed or probably you opened a used trans that was repaired with other gears.

There are pics all over the internet and the forum...even the color of the gears are slightly different...they are not way stronger, but doing the job better than stock ...specially 3rd gear.

You got scammed or probably you opened a used trans that was repaired with other gears.

There are pics all over the internet and the forum...even the color of the gears are slightly different...they are not way stronger, but doing the job better than stock ...specially 3rd gear.

I can second this. Mine when ordered from Mazda were completely different, side by side.

Hey Igdrasil, have you got a parts diagram for the MS3? I want to use 2nd gear out of the 6 speed trans as my 1st gear. I found out that one half of the 2nd gear set might be a part of the tranny's output shaft, but it wasn't too clear. I know you can use gears fro mthe normal 3, but the 6 speed trans is totally different. Have any of the PR guys tried this?

NO, I opened the transmission myself. It came off of a Turbo BP motor. A GTX motor.

I can second this. Mine when ordered from Mazda were completely different, side by side.

Hey Igdrasil, have you got a parts diagram for the MS3? I want to use 2nd gear out of the 6 speed trans as my 1st gear. I found out that one half of the 2nd gear set might be a part of the tranny's output shaft, but it wasn't too clear. I know you can use gears fro mthe normal 3, but the 6 speed trans is totally different. Have any of the PR guys tried this?

As compared to ** NEW ** Protege gears, or the broken ones ??

Guys, please do not insult me, I actually ran a Rockwell Hardness test on both stock protege gears and GTX gears.

Guys, please do not insult me, I actually ran a Rockwell Hardness test on both stock protege gears and GTX gears.

In another thread you posted the results from that test and you claimed the GTX gears were harder than the stock gears.

"If this is the case then the GTX gears will not help as they are 11 Rockwell Harder."

So if there was a difference in the hardness, then how can they be the same thing?

Or do you mean if you buy new protege gears you will get gtx gears now?

In another thread you posted the results from that test and you claimed the GTX gears were harder than the stock gears.

So if there was a difference in the hardness, then how can they be the same thing?

Or do you mean if you buy new protege gears you will get gtx gears now?

When I did the test I got 5-6 rockwell harder for the gtx gears. Harder also means more brittle, and therefore, easier to break.

That small difference in Rockwell hardness can be attributed to different manufacturing plants for these gears.

When I did the test I got 5-6 rockwell harder for the gtx gears. Harder also means more brittle, and therefore, easier to break.

That small difference in Rockwell hardness can be attributed to different manufacturing plants for these gears.

im not trying to argue, but i put the direct quote from what you said in my previous post. You claimed it was 11 rockwell harder, not 5-6.

Sorry, I didn't check what I had written, I assumed the 5-6

I just put 3rd and 5th gtx gears in my car. I had them right next to the protege stock gears. They are different.

Or are you saying the strength is the same despite the different design?

I just put 3rd and 5th gtx gears in my car. I had them right next to the protege stock gears. They are different.

Or are you saying the strength is the same despite the different design?

All I am saying is that people have also broken GTX gears. At least 3-4 people that I know of.

Once again, I will state, and this is my opinion, that the gears are the same part, just made at different factories.

All I am saying is that people have also broken GTX gears. At least 3-4 people that I know of.

Once again, I will state, and this is my opinion, that the gears are the same part, just made at different factories.

In response to your earlier question, I never broke my stock gears, I jsut upgraded to GTX before I broke them. If the differences are attributed to the plant of manufacture, why then are the ratio's different? There was a visible size difference in the ones I got.

Also thought I'd ask (I don't know much about the 323's) but was it an AWD one you took apart? That's the GTX gears I have.

In response to your earlier question, I never broke my stock gears, I jsut upgraded to GTX before I broke them. If the differences are attributed to the plant of manufacture, why then are the ratio's different? There was a visible size difference in the ones I got.

There should be no difference as the ratios are identical.

Yes an AWD.

I have taken apart about 8 of them now...

GTX trans:

G5MX-R:
Used with
B6-ME
B8-ME
BP-ZET (GT-X)
Type
5MT, 4WD
5MT, 4WD
5MT, 4WD
1st gear
3.307:1
3.454:1
2nd gear
1.833:1
3rd gear
1.233:1
1.233:1
1.310:1
4th gear
0.914:1
0.970:1
5th gear
0.755:1
0.717:1
0.717:1
Front Final drive
4.388:1
4.388:1
4.214:1
Rear Final drive
3.909:1
Reverse
3.166:1

Protege Trans:

G15M-R
Used with
FS-DE, FS-DET,
FS-ZE (MazdaSpeed)
RF-MDT
Type
5MT, FWD
1st gear
2nd gear
1.842:1
3rd gear
4th gear
0.970:1
5th gear
0.755:1
0.680:1
Final Drive
4.105:1
3.409:1
Reverse

3rd is the same ratio, but different design, and 5th is taller.

What does 5th have to do with it? It's on the outside of the casing.

3rd and 4th have the same ratios.

Both of you are wrong...My tranny is the best. Any thoughts about that rumor on the Probe 6speed tranny? Heard that recently but want to verify with your guys. I just dont want to do the research.

5th gear as you know is not a gear meant to hold power. Also being outside the casing, if it does break, it is easy to replace...

Maybe not, but I still use it to "hold power" I boost up to 24psi all the time in 5th...

Anyways, what were we talking about again?

Back