626 jspec ignition conversion

deckedoutmp5

:
02 MP5 #3256
ok on the 626 same motor as our car, but in japan they use the direct coil single pack. i would like to do this conversion on my car so that i can run msd. usually stock ignition for NA is always better and if your motor dont have enough "umph" msd usually takes away power, but on boost i want it.

juan, i know you will know this because you work with the jspec cars and stuff, but does anything have to be done via main wire harness or anything? thanks- trav

I would think it is impossible, as the ECU only has 2 Coil pack wires, and you would need to be able to get the signal to all four individual packs.

I could be wrong, but thought I would share that bit of info with ya, on the ECU.

boostisgood said:
I would think it is impossible, as the ECU only has 2 Coil pack wires, and you would need to be able to get the signal to all four individual packs.

I could be wrong, but thought I would share that bit of info with ya, on the ECU.

yes but i will be hooking them into the e6x, i will be full stand alone.

I believe there are more options for single packs than just that of the JDM 626...As long as the E6X can handle the type of packs you plan on using, and all the charging/dwell times are factored in from the packs, it shouldn't be a problem...

where did you hear that? the japanese 626 has the same ignition system as ours

deckedoutmp5 said:
ok on the 626 same motor as our car, but in japan they use the direct coil single pack. i would like to do this conversion on my car so that i can run msd. usually stock ignition for NA is always better and if your motor dont have enough "umph" msd usually takes away power, but on boost i want it.

juan, i know you will know this because you work with the jspec cars and stuff, but does anything have to be done via main wire harness or anything? thanks- trav

i want a single coil pack. 4 spark plug wires. not 2 like now or the dual packs. i want msd. might be the same voltage ecu signal whatever, but no they are not the same.

I want the four packs that the Protege drag car has. The 4 red big coils.....hehehe

I'm gonna have 4 coil packs! ;)

Dave

deckedoutmp5 said:
i want a single coil pack. 4 spark plug wires. not 2 like now or the dual packs. i want msd. might be the same voltage ecu signal whatever, but no they are not the same.

the North American 626's have what you are talking about too...the 98 and later 4cylinder models utilized a single coil pack mounted where the distributor used to be...It was just a square block with the 4 plug wires leaving it...So you could look around junkyards for that, they are not JDM specific...

it's not a single coil pack.. it's just 2 mounted next to each other... the 99-00 Protege's 1.8's is like that too, except the coil pack design is different than the US spec 626's

Installshield 2 said:
the North American 626's have what you are talking about too...the 98 and later 4cylinder models utilized a single coil pack mounted where the distributor used to be...It was just a square block with the 4 plug wires leaving it...So you could look around junkyards for that, they are not JDM specific...

my old 98 626 had a single pack with 4 wires leading to each cylinder. maybe you can just pilfer one off a junked 98 up one and figure a way to wire it up?

JDM Sam said:
my old 98 626 had a single pack with 4 wires leading to each cylinder. maybe you can just pilfer one off a junked 98 up one and figure a way to wire it up?

i just knew the jspec ones were like that, but now i know the other ones are a single too. that is all i am looking for. yes with stand alone you can run whatever you want but nevermind, no one answerd the questioned. i know what to look for and i can run msd with it. thanks anyways. peace- trav

didn't I say the jspec ones are NOT like that? where did you get all this wrong info anyway?

lalalalala the question was, do i have to mod my ecu for a single coilpack ignition. anyways, thanks but whatever. its cool. im goin with the single like the 626. i looked at my buddies today, and its what i need for my MSD. but thanks. peace- trav

TheMAN said:
it's not a single coil pack.. it's just 2 mounted next to each other... the 99-00 Protege's 1.8's is like that too, except the coil pack design is different than the US spec 626's

I will try to get a pick...A friend of mine is attempting a KL-ZE swap into a 1998 4cylinder 626...He aquired a 95 OBD-I ECU redone for the KL-ZE, and the harness from a 95 626 V6 (which has a crushed rear end, making it the donor car)...We just ripped the stock FS out of the 626 yesterday, and to my knowledge the coil pack was a single block...It may be 2 coils internally, but I thought it was just one housing...I have no experience with newer 626's though...

Last edited:
Installshield 2 said:
I will try to get a pick...A friend of mine is attempting a KL-ZE swap into a 1998 4cylinder 626...He aquired a 95 OBD-I ECU redone for the KL-ZE, and the harness from a 95 626 V6 (which has a crushed rear end, making it the donor car)...We just ripped the stock FS out of the 626 yesterday, and to my knowledge the coil pack was a single block...It may be 2 coils internally, but I thought it was just one housing...I have no experience with newer 626's though...
The coil pack is similiar to the one found on many fords. It is one casing. The wasted spark firing is what distinguishes it from the other types.
The only difference with the ones on our cars, is the two coil on plug units. I guess the good thing would be to get a better set of wires than what you can put on the protege stock.

Back