6-speed manual test drive - finally.

swooshusn

:
2012 VW GLI/2015 CX-5 GT AWD Soul + Tech
A local dealer finally got two Sport manual CX-5's in stock (Hall Mazda in Virginia Beach; one Metro, one Silver), so my wife and I stopped by for a test drive. I had already previously driven a Touring auto and was impressed, but still wanted a manual transmission. We noticed that there was a slight resistance getting the shifter to select 4th gear, and the only way to ensure a smooth engagement meant letting the clutch out slightly while applying pressure to the shifter. Sometimes it dropped right in with no problem, and the resistance didn't appear to by linked to a specific rpm or range. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Also, shifting into 6th takes some getting used to. A: that is where reverse has been on my past two vehicles, B: the shifter naturally pulls towards the center neutral position which resulted in both my wife and I downshifting to 4th a few times versus 6th. I'm not noting a mechanical issue, just an observation from two drivers.

We noticed that there was a slight resistance getting the shifter to select 4th gear, and the only way to ensure a smooth engagement meant letting the clutch out slightly while applying pressure to the shifter. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I experienced the same thing. It felt like a little notch that I was not quite hitting as I shifted into 4th. I attributed it to not being used to the clutch operation, the shifter, or possibly that it was just this particular CX-5. I figured I would try a different car when one of the other local dealers gets a 6MT in their inventory. I hope it is not a design flaw in the tranny.

I experienced the same thing. It felt like a little notch that I was not quite hitting as I shifted into 4th. I attributed it to not being used to the clutch operation, the shifter, or possibly that it was just this particular CX-5. I figured I would try a different car when one of the other local dealers gets a 6MT in their inventory. I hope it is not a design flaw in the tranny.

It could be linkage that needs tweaked. I would think more people would have complained or mentioned it if it was a more common problem.

I bought a 6MT last Monday and haven't notice any issue shifting into 4th. I have a funny story about shifting into reverse though...

Before leaving the dealer lot, the internet manager who we bought the car from told a story about some previous person who bought a 6MT and got stuck at a gas station because she didn't know how to get into reverse. He was about to explain how to shift into reverse and my wife laughingly stopped him and sent him away.

I was waiting for her to backup the CX-5 before leaving the lot, then got a text saying she couldn't get it to shift into reverse. The guy had to come back and explain to my wife that you had to press the stick down before you can move it left and up into reverse. :)

Quite a few years back, I went on a 5-month assignment in Nice, France along with several other co-workers. One of my friends had just arrived at the airport and picked up his manual rent-a-car and got lost on the way to the hotel. He tried to reverse but couldn't figure out how to get it in gear. Turns out that there was a ring on the stick just below the knob that you had to pull up with your fingers to get it into reverse. A policeman had to get in the car to show it to him. I don't think I would have figured that one out either.

Same thing happened to me when renting a car in Ireland. Had to pull up on a ring on the shifter to get it into R. Also, I don't recommend renting a manual transmission car in Ireland and driving around the country's narrow roads. I have a new appreciation for wide American roads, and for not having to shift with my left hand. Almost got into a dozen wrecks.

Have had not a single problem with the 3rd to 4th shift. I often just use my middle/ring finger to flick it down from 3 to 4, the shift operation is that light.

initially i had similar issue, even during the test drive but at the 1000 mile point it became smooth all around. now at 6000 or so and no issues to report

i've noticed no notchiness in mine at all. Its shifts smoothly and quickly without hesitation.

Make sure your guiding the shifter and not forcing it.

For all the talk about how great the manual is on the cx-5, it's only pretty good. It is pretty smooth, yes, but it's more supple than mechanically smooth, which is what I prefer. It's a little vague around the gates so I had the same experience when shifting from 5th to 6th, that if you arent deliberate it's pretty easy to get is down into 4th instead.

I dont have an issue shifting into 4th from 3rd, but it might just need some breakin. I dont think my car had ever been shifted into 6th when I bought it, but a few shifts and it started to move in smoothly.

Obviously the manual is not Miata-like, even if very good. Thanks for the owner report Gregx-5.

i totally love the skyactiv MT, the shifting is great and makes the old mazdas feel like a stick in a bucket of rocks.

there is one transmission out there that i've tried that has no peer (barring any super car) is the one they put into the new brz/fr-s. \i think they took that one out of the old supra, not sure.

i totally love the skyactiv MT, the shifting is great and makes the old mazdas feel like a stick in a bucket of rocks.

there is one transmission out there that i've tried that has no peer (barring any super car) is the one they put into the new brz/fr-s. \i think they took that one out of the old supra, not sure.

The best one I have ever used is Hondas S2000 (loved that car). Very short throws, distinct gate pattern, and very smooth and silky operation.

You guys are talking about 3rd to 4th. I rarely use 4th. Most of the time I go 1-2-3 then 6th to save gas mileage. I put the car in 6th as low as 35 mph (if that is the speed limit). I very rarely row through all of the gears.

Last edited:
Mongo, I agree with you, the RSX-S had a similar 6spd shifter and was fantastic.

The CX5 might not be on the same level, but lets be honest guys & gals, its not a sportscar. So I think the manual option is a rarity in this class of car, and very good overall! I had the problems with 3rd-4th but it went away after a few hundred miles, either due to break-in or because I got used to it and subconsciously compensated.

One of my favs besides the mx-5 and cx-5 was the Honda Civic SI hatch. I forget the year. I think it was around 2005. The shifter stuck out the center stack and was a short distance from the steering wheel. The throws were short and smooth.

The best one I have ever used is Hondas S2000 (loved that car). Very short throws, distinct gate pattern, and very smooth and silky operation.

You guys are talking about 3rd to 4th. I rarely use 4th. Most of the time I go 1-2-3 then 6th to save gas mileage. I put the car in 6th as low as 35 mph (if that is the speed limit). I very rarely row through all of the gears.

One thing to be aware of when going from 3rd to 6th is to ensure the engine is not being lugged around at too low a rev - being a CUV and geared to fuel economy, a close-ratio gear-box this is not. These gears are reasonably spaced apart. Sometimes 6th is too high a gear for city cruising in my experience.

Haven't had the pleasure of driving an s2000, i'll swing by a dealership sometime and test one out for fun.

If the CX-5 shifter could be described as flick flick flick, the BRZ shifter would be click click click. Seriously check one it. Super precise and short.

... the BRZ shifter would be click click click. Seriously check one it. Super precise and short.

Seems all the BRZ/FRS out here at lots are autos, or I would have checked one out by now. Manual CX-5 drivers, what are your revs in 6th on the highway, say 60-70-80? I drove an auto today and expected the revs to be lower on the highway.

Seems all the BRZ/FRS out here at lots are autos, or I would have checked one out by now. Manual CX-5 drivers, what are your revs in 6th on the highway, say 60-70-80? I drove an auto today and expected the revs to be lower on the highway.

Revs at highway speeds are mid 2k rpms. Which is ok with me. It gets up to about 3k at 80mph. Again, its probably a good thing since its closer to peak torque. This engine really wakes up after 4k so it makes since that its a little high in the revs at highway speeds as this helps with passing.

The more i drive it the more i love the shifter. This coming from a guy with a miata. Its fantastic. It snicks into each gear with a positive click. Its a bit rubbery such as any manual in this type of vehicle. But its fun to row the gears. Given the little bit of power this is necessary but never a nuisance. The pedals are placed nicely for heel toe, and the engine revs freely allowing quick gear changes.

If i had any complaint it would be the rev-hang.

My Fusion manual had severe rev-hang as well as the Civic Si I test drove. Really kills the drive for an enthusiast for sure. Depending on how bad it is that would be a deal killer for me. The auto CX-5 didn't speak to me as much as I was hoping it would. I hope the manual is better (sounds like it so far). They are rare, so when the local dealer gets one again I will be sure to check it out. Sure wish I could get a Touring in a manual! Or even a Sport manual in Zeal Red.

Really tempted to find a well cared for 993 and use it as a DD instead!

Back