505 Cold Air Box Round 2 *GB*

(rockon)

Production is finally ready to begin on the new and improved 505 Cold Air Box. This version has all of the same benefits and features as the first gen boxes:

CIMG2444.jpg

Benefits:

Lower intake air temps (testing shows average 5 degrees above ambient outside air temps, shielding your filter from the up to 180+ degree underhood temp)
No hydro-lock issues like every other Protege CAI
Much cleaner filter location than other CAI's, prolonging filter life and extending time between cleanings
Looks great under the hood (anodized black or silver finish is standard, also available bare if you want to do your own custom finish)

Boxes include:

Trim-Lok edging
Attached quarter-turn quick-release DZUS fasteners
IAT sensor port
Stainless steel mounting hardware

Piping kits include:

T6 aluminum piping
Silicone couplers
Clamps
Hose
Breather port
1" BPV port on turbo models (optional)

In addition to the above, the 2nd generation boxes are now designed to work with any BJ platform headlight! This means that you '99-'00 owners can now get in on the fun!

The overall shape has been changed a little bit from the original to eliminate the need for a specific box style depending on what headlight you have, so it now looks like this:

CIMG5922.jpg

Full kits are available that include everything you need - box, filter, piping, and hardware. There are 4 different full kit styles available - N/A, MSP, and 3" turbo. Full 4" systems are custom (I will work with you and go over pictures to get you the best possible system for your setup).

- N/A uses 2.5" piping plumbed straight to the throttle body (with the MAF in the middle).
- MSP is for stock-ish setups that use the stock turbo and have the MAF on the intake pipe.
- 3" turbo is for setups that have a relocated or deleted MAF and a turbo with a 3" compressor inlet.
- 4" turbo is for setups that have a relocated or deleted MAF and a turbo with a 4" compressor inlet.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you relocate your MAF on the MSP setups. The piping and filter setup is MUCH better.

Individual pieces are also available- the Cold Air Box by itself if you want to fab your own piping, or piping kits if you want a quality lower-cost SRI setup without the box.

Options and Estimated Pricing:

Box only (3") = $209
Box (3") + filter = $229
Piping Kit only (N/A, MSP, 3") = $129
Piping Kit (N/A, MSP, 3") + filter = $149
Box + Piping Kit (N/A, 3") = $309
Box + Piping Kit (MSP) = $319
Full C.A.B. Kit (N/A, 3") = $329
Full C.A.B. Kit (MSP with relocated MAF) = $339
Full C.A.B. Kit (4", MSP with non-relocated MAF) = $359

* Final pricing will be announced before deposits are taken, but I do not expect these to go up much if any. If we get 20+ people it might be possible to bring pricing down.
**All prices do not include shipping. Actual shipping costs for your location will be due when your kit is ready to ship.
*** Custom upcharge options are available (within reason). Let me know if you want something different (no window, no A/C line cutouts, upgraded filter, etc) and I will see what I can do for you.

Deposits will be taken once the list hits 10 or more people, and production will then begin. Estimated time from deposit to delivery is 6-8 weeks.

Batch 2 is all sold out. Please PM me if you are interested in getting on the waiting list for batch 3.

1. Hammo - 4" kit, black, BPV yes *SHIPPED*
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no *SHIPPED*
3. atlracer25 - MSP kit - black - BPV yes - relocated MAF *SHIPPED*
4. gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no *SHIPPED*
5. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid *SHIPPED*
6. mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black *BOXED*
7. ZealoustheEnder - Box + MSP Piping (relocated MAF) - BPV no *SHIPPED*
8. Linuxracr - 3" Box + piping - Black - BPV no *SHIPPED*
9. Anonymous - Box only - Black *SHIPPED*
10. Anonymous - Box only - Black *SHIPPED*
11. Anonymous - Full N/A Kit - Black *SHIPPED*

Last edited:
The black looks to good to pass up. I've switched mine - #5 below. That's the only change below.

1. Hammo - 4" kit, black, BPV yes
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no
3. Gabi - MSP 3" kit, black, BPV yes
4. LinuxRacr - 3" box + piping - black - BPV no
5. atlracer25 - MSP kit - black - BPV yes - relocated MAF
6. Boubou22 - MSP kit - silver - BPV yes - no a/c cutout, relocated MAF
7. P5_Biznis - box only - black
8. Gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no
9. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid

The black looks to good to pass up. I've switched mine - #5 below. That's the only change below.

10. Box + Piping Kit (N/A, 3") = $309 black

10. protegedude25 - N/A Box + piping - black

When are we going to move forward with this GB? If you are looking for deposits or payment in full let me know.

11.mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black

My welder has been swamped and hasn't gotten the box ready for me yet. He is going to try and get it done today or tomorrow.

Wes got the test box finished up yesterday, which was a very cool birthday present. I am out of town til tomorrow evening, but will test it out when I get home and let ya'll know how it goes. If any changes are needed I will head back down to waterjet on Friday and get it all squared away.

I got home early today and test fit the box. The floor piece was perfect, the wall needed an 1/8th inch tweak in 2 spots, and the lid needed a 1/4" tweak along the front edge. I just barely made it down to waterjet before they closed for the day, got the changes made on the computer, and they cut me new pieces to re-test. I was able to get those over to Wes before he left the shop, and asked him to please get them to me this weekend. He is planning on getting them bent, welded, and dropped off to me on Saturday.

So the pieces were pretty close and I snapped a pic.

I also changed the window pretty drastically because I'm not digging the above configuration. The shape isn't too bad, but since the filter only comes over to about half way, the view inside to the empty area on top of the fender just doesn't look all that good. The new one is almost cut in half left to right. In the area that will now be just metal, I am going to put a badge with my logo.

I will update with what is hopefully the finished pictures on Saturday.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the shape of the old box better. The long, sharp corner on the new one seems...out of place. It's an aesthetic issue imo. Draws your focus away from the center of the box and leads your eye to nothing. The shape of the old box kept the eye focused around the filter window. But I'm excited about the logo :D

I think this is going to make a great addition to the build! Cant wait to get it installed.

p.s. Happy belated birthday.

Can we get it without the logo?

Yep.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the shape of the old box better. The long, sharp corner on the new one seems...out of place. It's an aesthetic issue imo. Draws your focus away from the center of the box and leads your eye to nothing. The shape of the old box kept the eye focused around the filter window. But I'm excited about the logo :D

The new one is growing on me, and that front corner won't be as harsh looking on the final piece. It stands out so much on that pic because of the gap between the lid and the upper rad support.

I think this is going to make a great addition to the build! Cant wait to get it installed.

p.s. Happy belated birthday.

Thanks. 35 was a good one. :)

I can appreciate the universal fit of the new shape but on the other hand prefer the shape of the first boxes. Just works better with the radiator cover plate on mine. Interested in seeing the new lid with smaller window and logo/badge/emblem on it. Still best intake for these cars IMO.....................

Ok just got back the second test set from Wes.

We are perfect on fit this time, so we're all set as far as the lid, floor, and wall pieces go. I'm still not digging the window shape though, so what I am going to do is make some cardboard or hardwood samples this weekend here at the house with several different window configurations. If there isn't a clear-cut best one after that, I will put the finalists up on here for a vote by you guys.

After the window is settled I will head down to waterjet and get that finalized, then put in the order for this batch. I will make sure pricing is 100% finalized this weekend and then start taking deposits.

Sorry group, My MSP is for sale now... so I have to retire myself of the list

11.mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black

Sorry to see you go boubou. Good luck with your sale.

6. P5_Biznis - box only - black
7. Gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no
8. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid
9. protegedude25 - N/A Box + piping - black
10. mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black

Back