4 channel amp install

Hi guys I had a quick question...I am installing a 4 channel amp and have a good idea how to do it however....I just have one question regarding running the new speaker wires to the amp

1) can i just leave the harness the way it is and use t taps and run the wires to the back or...

2) do I need to cut the speaker wire connections at the harness and connect the new speaker wire to harness then run to the back?

Please advise?

thanks

Are you installing an aftermarket deck or retaining the factory? This will make a difference in how you hook it up.

First off, the T-tap scotch lock things are garbage.. The proper way to make a splice is solder and adhesive heat shrink.

Where are you mounting the amp? You can either use the existing factory harness which won't handle much power, or run new speaker wires all the way from the amp to the speakers. The latter is the better method.

If doing aftermarket radio, then just run the speaker wires from the amp to the radio harness and adhere to Mr. giggles suggestion and forget you've ever heard of t-taps. The factory wiring is just fine to use, unless you are using a very high powered amp or are going after high end sound quality. I'm assuming neither is the case, so the factory wiring is good for you as it will save a crap ton of work in rewiring the whole car. Whilst soldering and heat shrink is the ultimate way to make a connection, if you are not proficient in soldering, I wouldn't do it. Using the Mil-spec method, also known as poke and wrap, is an industry standard. It works just like it sounds. Strip off about 1/2 inch of insulation, split the wire into a loop, poke the new wire through the hole, then wrap it around. tape it up and you're good to go. There is a good amount of room under the front seats for an amp, I have a 5 channel under my passenger seat.

If doing aftermarket radio, then just run the speaker wires from the amp to the radio harness and adhere to Mr. giggles suggestion and forget you've ever heard of t-taps. The factory wiring is just fine to use, unless you are using a very high powered amp or are going after high end sound quality. I'm assuming neither is the case, so the factory wiring is good for you as it will save a crap ton of work in rewiring the whole car. Whilst soldering and heat shrink is the ultimate way to make a connection, if you are not proficient in soldering, I wouldn't do it. Using the Mil-spec method, also known as poke and wrap, is an industry standard. It works just like it sounds. Strip off about 1/2 inch of insulation, split the wire into a loop, poke the new wire through the hole, then wrap it around. tape it up and you're good to go. There is a good amount of room under the front seats for an amp, I have a 5 channel under my passenger seat.

My current set up is JVC headunit and 4 channel alpine amp 300w mounted in the trunk area. I do not plan on running new wires to each speaker.

So based on the metra harness already connected into the radio... i should cut off the speaker wires from the stock harness and and install new speaker wire using mil spec method and just re run them to the back of the amp correct? Am i missing anything?

My current set up is JVC headunit and 4 channel alpine amp 300w mounted in the trunk area. I do not plan on running new wires to each speaker.

So based on the metra harness already connected into the radio... i should cut off the speaker wires from the stock harness and and install new speaker wire using mil spec method and just re run them to the back of the amp correct? Am i missing anything?

Cut the wires between the headunit and the Metra harness. Leave the car's harness alone. Tape up the speaker wires coming out of the headunit so they don't touch anything and short circuit.

From there, run your speaker wires to the dash. Hook the speaker wires from the amp to the speaker wires on the Metra harness. Butt connectors and heat shrink work best, if you don't know how to solder.

What door speakers are you running? I have an 03 the books all say they are the 5x7 (I think that's what it is) took the back door apart the factory speakers stopped working turns out they were 6.5's anyone else find this, also are the fronts probably the same? I haven't done those yet everything sounds good so I don't want to spend the 290ish on the fronts and another amp yet

I have a set of NIB adapters for the fronts to install round (4"?) speakers - hit me up if you want 'em.

What door speakers are you running? I have an 03 the books all say they are the 5x7 (I think that's what it is) took the back door apart the factory speakers stopped working turns out they were 6.5's anyone else find this, also are the fronts probably the same? I haven't done those yet everything sounds good so I don't want to spend the 290ish on the fronts and another amp yet

as mentioned Fronts are 5x7 (6x8), rears are 6.5 ..i installed 6.5 in the front and rear with no issues at all!

Back