3000 rpm hiccup

ipod_pr5

:
2003.5 Protege5
For the last couple of months (10,000 miles or so?) my car has had a "hiccup" when accelerating 3000 RPM. It's generally with a steady acceleration in 4th or 5th gear. It doesn't seem to matter if the car is warm or cold, the weather, etc. Just happens a lot of the time (but not always) going by 3000 RPM.

Aside from this, for about 18 mos since about 60,000 miles- I've had a rough idle that nothing fixes. I've replaced the EGR valve (twice), coil packs, plugs, wires and IAC valve. Nothing fixes this and nobody on any of these threads seems to have a solution.

What the hell is wrong with this engine? It's sounded like a diesel for a couple years, too. I just don't get it.

what are your plugs gapped at. Had the same problem with my car, Should have been at 30, but had them at 38. Any ck engine lights

what are your plugs gapped at. Had the same problem with my car, Should have been at 30, but had them at 38. Any ck engine lights

im just wonderin why youve got yours gapped so tight? im guessing cuz youre turboed so the boost doesnt blow the spark out?

OEM plug gap is .044
but alldata online shows .040-.043
but anywhere in the .040-.044 range should be straight

I agree. Change the plugs first. Make sure even if they say they're pre-gapped to check them. And use antiseize. All you need is the stock NGK V-Powers. Less than $10 for all 4. It's one of the cheapest, easiest maintenance items you can do on these cars. Depending on your mileage it could also be flaky wires or a coil pack too, but I'd start off with the simplest / cheapest then work your way up.

Plugs => wires => coilpack

One thing that comes to mind, Fuel Filter

My '93 altima have done this kinda thing before...before it got junked

I think it's just a dip in the power curve due to our crappy stock timing and afr curves. Our cars are notorious for it, dyno plots show it. My "dip" occurs at 2800rpm, no other mechanical problems.

Back