2019 CX-5 Turbo - JB4 vs DrTuned

Pros and cons please šŸ¤™

Iā€™m leaning more towards the JB4 because it wonā€™t leave any traces of ECU tuning (not even ā€œflash countsā€ right?) and I donā€™t currently own a PC (DrTuned only Windows compatible)

Does the DrTuned have a mode for fuel economy?

ECU tuning is much more involved I think. Probably harder to flash new maps and make modifications to maps, especially for someone who doesn't have a Windows laptop. But it sounds like ECU tuning gives you more control over how everything works together - guided by an expert tuner, that should lead to a better, safer experience, with more room to really squeeze out the power and customize the driving experience to your needs.

IMO, the JB4 is great because it's very straightforward. Plug and play. You can still fool around with some parameters, again with guidance from experts, but with the bluetooth connectivity and the JB4 app on my phone, switching between maps takes like 15 seconds.

JB4 because like you said, not wanting to flash the ECU, when smog comes around out here in California I wouldnā€™t want to fail because they were able to check if I flashed the ECU. Just easily remove/replace unit for smog.

As a JB4 owner I noticed the JB4tech Mazda forum has gotten a little quiet. Not sure if everyone got the info they needed and is happy or thereā€™s nothing new.

For me though, I just set it and leave it as is between map 1 and 2 depending if itā€™s convenient mixing E85.

Yeah I might move back to Cali in the future so wouldn't want to risk having to pay any fees if they find evidence of flashing

I think I'm gonna install the JB4 in a couple weeks then šŸ˜Ž

Probably also get a sprint booster down the road but I'll see

Yeah I might move back to Cali in the future so wouldn't want to risk having to pay any fees if they find evidence of flashing

I think I'm gonna install the JB4 in a couple weeks then šŸ˜Ž

Probably also get a sprint booster down the road but I'll see

You may not even need/want the Sprint Booster after the JB4. But the throttle response adjustment is very, very nice IMO.

I have a 91 Octane tune on my NA Skyactiv 2.5L from DRTuned. I am exceedingly pleased with it.

Looking over the datalogging before and after the tune, It's clear that Daniel (The tuner) focuses on following OEM parameters for safety, drivability and efficiency while no doubt providing a healthy increase in torque and HP across the rev range.

Start it up, and the first thing you notice is the cold start delete (If that is what you opted for.) Revs are around 1100rpm instead of 1500rpm, unless it is very cold outside.

Next, when idling or cruising at part throttle, you don't notice much difference.
It is when the revs start to cross into 2250rpm+ that you notice the difference. This 4-Banger begins to transition from a docile, economic family hauling workhorse into something distinct for a 4 cylinder, especially with the relatively large displacement. The intake changes its note to a throaty resonance as this inline 4 begins to bark and snort, flexing its displacement by providing effortless and instantaneous torque anywhere from 2000rpm onwards. Then the AT hastily shifts back into your cruising gears and the drivetrain reverts back to its efficient cruising nature. It quite literally sounds and behaves like half of a V8, snorting and spitting from the exhaust with a satisfying burble through each upshift crossing into the powerband. Max torque (Subjectively) feels like its now at 2500rpm instead of around 3000rpm when it was on the stock 87 octane tune. The exhaust note with the custom midpipe is really quite impressive and can get fairly loud. It's an engaging driving experience while producing very sufficient levels of torque. I am sure that the turbocharged version of this engine is much more than sufficient for passing or hauling additional cargo.

Yet, the fuel economy is noticeably lower than it ever was on the OEM tune.

Back