2017 CX-5: Initial Review

Great minds think alike! I'm leaning towards waiting for 2018 MY too. But it depends on when it will become available. Is it a fair assumption that Mazda will get back on its tradition of releasing new models one calendar year in advance, that is, 2018 MY will be available by the end of this year?

Doubt they will release a model that soon with any updates as it's just been released.

Look at the CX-9. Came out last year, nothing changed this year.

Weekend is here so I got a chance to run up north about an hour drive and feel out the MRRC w/SAG. In summary, the cruise control works pretty well. I set it at the posted speed limit with a generous gap distance. When a vehicle ahead falls into the radar's zone, it does slow down. It will continue to slow down and even come to a complete stop. Rest assured I had my foot an inch above the brake pedal while testing! While stopped, if you do press down on the brake it disengages and you have to resume the cruise function. I found the resume button a bit awkward to find and hit. It's the middle section of a rocker switch for increasing or decreasing the set speed. They do make it easy to quickly adjust your set speed. Hit the + side quickly and it increments by 1 MPH. A longer press on the + and you get a bump up to the next 5 MPH mark.

If you allow the system to stop you without pressing on the brake, it will hold you stopped until the car ahead resumes driving. The MRRC system will also resume your progress.

Pretty slick. I hope this doesn't encourage drivers to deliberately unfocus from other traffic and start playing around with their mobile devices while behind the wheel.

Weekend is here so I got a chance to run up north about an hour drive and feel out the MRRC w/SAG. In summary, the cruise control works pretty well. I set it at the posted speed limit with a generous gap distance. When a vehicle ahead falls into the radar's zone, it does slow down. It will continue to slow down and even come to a complete stop. Rest assured I had my foot an inch above the brake pedal while testing! While stopped, if you do press down on the brake it disengages and you have to resume the cruise function. I found the resume button a bit awkward to find and hit. It's the middle section of a rocker switch for increasing or decreasing the set speed. They do make it easy to quickly adjust your set speed. Hit the + side quickly and it increments by 1 MPH. A longer press on the + and you get a bump up to the next 5 MPH mark.

If you allow the system to stop you without pressing on the brake, it will hold you stopped until the car ahead resumes driving. The MRRC system will also resume your progress.

Pretty slick. I hope this doesn't encourage drivers to deliberately unfocus from other traffic and start playing around with their mobile devices while behind the wheel.
Nice to hear it works well and once again thanks for the review [emoji3]

I did notice in some clips that all the main controls in the steering wheel are rockers and the main function requires pressing the middle section of the rocker switch.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Doubt they will release a model that soon with any updates as it's just been released.

Good point! In the case of CX-9 at least they followed the tradition of getting 2017 MY out in 2016. Hope the CX-5 production cycle will eventually re-adjust itself and catch up again.

I hope this doesn't encourage drivers to deliberately unfocus from other traffic and start playing around with their mobile devices while behind the wheel.

Indeed hope so. Like you I always have my foot hovering above the brake pedal whenever using MRCC (BTW my 16.5 doesn't have SAG), and I have to constantly remind myself that while the car will slow down for me due to traffic, braking is still my responsibility under ALL other conditions. I was once trying to exit the freeway after a long MRCC ride, but conveniently forgot that MRCC was still on. Got a nasty surprise when vehicle accelerated off the ramp (after not detecting traffic ahead). Luckily I stepped on the brake in time. Never made that mistake again.

Good point! In the case of CX-9 at least they followed the tradition of getting 2017 MY out in 2016. Hope the CX-5 production cycle will eventually re-adjust itself and catch up again.
Over here, we start getting 2018 model descriptions during the later half of this year

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Indeed hope so. Like you I always have my foot hovering above the brake pedal whenever using MRCC (BTW my 16.5 doesn't have SAG), and I have to constantly remind myself that while the car will slow down for me due to traffic, braking is still my responsibility under ALL other conditions. I was once trying to exit the freeway after a long MRCC ride, but conveniently forgot that MRCC was still on. Got a nasty surprise when vehicle accelerated off the ramp (after not detecting traffic ahead). Luckily I stepped on the brake in time. Never made that mistake again.

A problem even with std. cruise control. I've developed a habit of either cancelling or outright turning off CC when I exit from a freeway.

that was one of the things i looked at when i bought 2017 cx5, plus, on the other hand, there's always something newer and better in future

that was one of the things i looked at when i bought 2017 cx5, plus, on the other hand, there's always something newer and better in future
That's with everything out there

A problem even with std. cruise control. I've developed a habit of either cancelling or outright turning off CC when I exit from a freeway.
Not me. I keep it on for as long as I can [emoji3]

Hello forum friends,

last week I had a short test of new cx-5 (EU spec, 2.2 175hp diesel automatic). As you may know I used to have 2013 cx-5, with all those famous problems at the time (oil lever raises, shaky side mirrors.....). So here are my first impressions:

Design:
The more I look at the car, the more I like it! It looks sharper, more sporty if you will, from the back car is simply amazing. I like new headlights, very modern, fancy, only lower part of the front is kind of meh..

Interior:
This is like 2 classes above 2013 version I have had. Really! They used plenty of leather, everything is soft-touch, those 3D air vents are amazing, "wood metal" inserts (as Mazda calls it) is nice touch looks really premium. Steering wheel is very nice, everything well organized there. Seats - feel strange at first (well cushioned, like you're sitting on a memory foam), lateral support could be better (even sides look large on pictures they are quite soft, don't offer snug fit). Two presets (can be saved with different keys), so when you unlock car depending on a key used it will automatically adjust seating position, HUD position etc... nice! Finally air-vents on the back of central console. Car seems well insulated ( I drove it in the city only).

Ride:
Now I understand why some people say car lost it's edge - while 2013 model was rough, transmitting all those noises from the outside, giving you "feeling" of better connection with the road, new chassis feels more mature, more polished. Car feels comfortable over road imperfections, unlike 2013 model where every little stone could be felt in cabin. I tried model with 19" wheels, totally fine (bear in mind I like "tight" car). It still gives you plenty of feedback from the road but not in harsh way. Automatic works very nice, no jerking at U-turns. Didn't try sport mode.

Assistance systems:

In "Revolution-TOP" equipment, you get ALL possible Mazda assistance systems. I want to point out, due to new camera sensor, Lane keep assist is much better now - detecting even worn our lanes (where 2015 Mazda 6 wouldn't detect). I know this because my colleague has mazda 6 and I drove the same path cx-5 - no issued with lane assist. I guess this is welcome addition/upgrade from previous generation. New MRCC with stop&go is great for city traffic, works quite nice, although if I want to be a hairsplitter, even at the closest setting (distance between cars), it's still too far for my liking.

Color:
Here is the funny part: I've seen both machine grey and new soul crystal red side by side, and during sunshine they look "nothing special" to me: soul red looks like "brick red" when sunny, and machine grey looks like normal grey. The magic starts when it's cloudy - then soul red is more like "rubin red" , and machine grey is simply amazing. Just an observation. Btw, in Germany Machine grey color is called - Matrix grey :) (Mazda official brochure)

Now, some of the things I don't like so much:

Infotainment system - feels on a small side, and those black plastic ugly bezels make things worse. Not to mention that menu and settings layout seems quite outdated. I guess better/modern graphics wouldn't hurt. Basically the whole central console feels - "empty" in lack of better expression. Everything is there, but something is lacking..... strange feel.

CD tray opening (yes, in EU models you have it) - looks like an afterthought, doesn't belong there

Piano black/dark grey finish (around shift nob and also in door sides for power windows) is a fingerprint magnet and looks dirty after couple of mins. I guess microfiber cloth is a must.

No lumbar support for the front passenger, only for the driver! Unfortunately, even driver's lumbar support leaves a lot to be desired, the adjustment is rather weak. It may be OK for some, but as I have back issues this was a real downside for me.

No panoramic roof, just small moon-roof.

No 360 camera view (in much cheaper Nissan Qashqai/Rogue in US you have this)

You see, Mazda is desperately trying to impose itself as a "premium alternative", they get "offended" when compared to CR-V, RAV4, Qashqai, Tucson... yet some of them offer better customization options. Yes, you do get i-Activesense and bunch of radars and systems, great handling and transmittion, but why not 360 camera? Why not automatic parking? No customization of ceiling upholstery (it's always white-sh). Why not offer brown leather (for years now you only get to choose black/white)... Those are things they need to improve if you they want to be compared to GLA/Q3/X1...

In following days, we'll schedule another test (we're seriously considering buying this car for my wife), so hope I'll have more impressions for you folks!

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
I think it's a bit much asking for lit up window controls.

Here's what a >$100K car provides. This is what you all are asking for right?
8f0986063c4a3e29611b5f36dbe2c9d2.jpg

My Jeep Grand Cherokee had it in 2010...no, I don't think it's a bit much to ask in 2015.

Is this really a must-have type hangup, or a nitpick over something folks are surprised is NOT there. I'm thrilled to get a HUD. Don't give a crap about lack of lit window controls. I know them by touch - not complicated at all.

Is this really a must-have type hangup, or a nitpick over something folks are surprised is NOT there. I'm thrilled to get a HUD. Don't give a crap about lack of lit window controls. I know them by touch - not complicated at all.

When you first use the car, you think about it But after driving the car for a while, you realize that things are exactly where you expect them to be and you don't need lights to find them. You should be able to feel them and know which buttons to push.

Same.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

When you first use the car, you think about it But after driving the car for a while, you realize that things are exactly where you expect them to be and you don't need lights to find them. You should be able to feel them and know which buttons to push.

Next people will complain that the gas and brake aren't illuminated. How will we ever find them!?!?!?! :)

Well when they market it as a 'premium' car that is supposed to compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi(LOL) then yes they should include basic things like this. My CRV has it, so no it's not too much to ask for in a 'premium' car like this.

Well when they market it as a 'premium' car that is supposed to compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi(LOL) then yes they should include basic things like this. My CRV has it, so no it's not too much to ask for in a 'premium' car like this.

Did Mazda really market it as a 'premium' car to the end-user or consumer? Or are you referring to when they seeded that to journalists so that they would make that connection and report it?

Back