2016 CX5 competition, impression, etc.

The '13-'15 looks like an easier aftermarket swap. I'm glad the HVAC isn't integrated like it is in my Infiniti. It would be nice at some point if someone creates an OBD phone app that can handle the custom Mazda vehicle settings.

I made an inquiry with Carista to add Mazda support.

I have the update and it still isn't perfect, but definitely serviceable. I have used the 2016 navigation system and it is better, though the lack of live traffic seems to have ruffled some feathers. But I think the point I was trying to make is still valid, it lacks some of the interior refinement of other makes but the driving experience is top notch.

Exactly. Thank you!

I still think the CX5 is the best in the CUV segment, MKC included!

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised at the complaints of the LED's. I've owned cars with HID's and driven in a wide variety of cars. My parents own a Q5, brother has a A4, and also driven a S2K which for awhile had one of the best HID projectors so people tried to retrofit them into a lot of cars. I love the LED's on the CX-5. They are brighting than my parents and bros audi and have a wider spread. I've had quite a few passangers compliment them too.

The jerky transmision is also a surprise since mine is pretty damn smooth.

New Owner here. Picked her up last Saturday.

Overall a really nice CUV for $30K (AWD GT with Tech). However there's a lot to improve

*Bose SUCK!
*noisy engine, interior, NHV is not good
*AC, heat doesn't adjust (down) when you do voice command
*headlight not that good, I wish it was HID's.
*transmission is jerky

OK, OK, I like the CUV but I wish there's a better competition, but there's none in this category.

Also, I test drove the new Sorento. It was way better, like way better in driving dynamics. the suspension was a revelation-- just test drive it guys! BUT it's KIA so I didn't buy. :D

sorry, I didn't proof read. hehe. grammar and spelling police please rescue

My Bose system sounds fine and I have close to 10K in my home sound system to compare. I generally have a low opinion of Bose but was pleasantly surprised. I think those that hate the stock system want head banging bass that isn't related to playing actual music.
Mazda thinks people might not care if their car sounds like it actually has an engine. NVH? Not really. Some noise perhaps but no vibration or harshness.
The climate control knob isn't very hard to reach.
Headlights work well. HID is a buzzword. Lots more money for not much.
The transmission shifts firmly because Mazda uses the torque converter clutch much like a manual transmission. This is the best automatic I have owned or driven. If you wanted a slushbox you should have bought something else. Maybe a Honda with a CVT so it doesn't shift at all.
If you thought the KIA was "way better", you should have bought one and went over to the KIA forum to wax poetic instead of buying something clearly inferior and coming over here and complaining.

Last edited:
On my second CX5, first one was a 2.0 sport and now a 2.5 touring. Love these engines and the automatic transmission is one of the best transmissions I have ever experienced. The engine is louder and this CUV does have more road and wind noise than what is common for this class but compared to my sisters 09 RAV 4 it's relatively quiet. It mostly bothers me on long highway trips especially in colder weather.

Every voice command system I have tried has sucked royally including Mazda. I much prefer a simple round knob and I'm glad Mazda has one. CR did a survey on this and found that most drivers never even use these features.

Most sound systems do not have great sound at this price point so no surprise here but my brothers Mazda 6 with Bose sounds decent to me. I changed my 6 speaker system for an aftermarket with sub and there is no comparison but this is all subjective of course.

The CX5 has a firm ride but never punishing and handles bumps well even during cornering, which is great. The CX5 suspension system is way above par for this class, probably even above higher class SUV's for feel anyway. Newer designs are catching up but the CX5 is still a class above if you care about driving dynamics. My last experience with Kia suspensions makes me want to stay away from them, so I guess only time will tell. This will eventually show up in CR in a few years.

10k audio.
What do you have?

Hmm. That's always a tough question and often starts a flame war. If you're not an audiophile you won't know what most of it is. If you are a seriously wealthy audiophile or a strict two channel purist you might turn your nose up at some of it.

Pototoy:

You should've got the Kia.

I mean the most important things in a vehicle are smooth, plush, comfortable ride, instant voice recognition for: seat position - mirrors - steering wheel position - infotainment settings and cup holder position, think to text is really a big one, daily GPS updates so the owner doesn't get lost on the daily commute, auto flat fix, 365 instant mood/color choices, foot free braking, hands free steering, think free driving and butt free road feel.

I know I'm being sarcastic, but there's just too much placed on fluff. I like a vehicle stripped of nonsense and a hard tight ride. The CX-5 is as close to that I could get the SWMBO could live with! Frankly I'd like to see a CX-5 2.5L with manual trans, am/fm, usb radio and air conditioning. Oh and leather seats...

Pototoy:

I mean the most important things in a vehicle are smooth, plush, comfortable ride, instant voice recognition for: seat position - mirrors - steering wheel position - infotainment settings and cup holder position, think to text is really a big one, daily GPS updates so the owner doesn't get lost on the daily commute, auto flat fix, 365 instant mood/color choices, foot free braking, hands free steering, think free driving and butt free road feel.

I know I'm being sarcastic, but there's just too much placed on fluff. I like a vehicle stripped of nonsense and a hard tight ride. The CX-5 is as close to that I could get the SWMBO could live with! Frankly I'd like to see a CX-5 2.5L with manual trans, am/fm, usb radio and air conditioning. Oh and leather seats...

Lol! Butthurt much. I think you're describing Mitsubishi :D

Hmm. That's always a tough question and often starts a flame war. If you're not an audiophile you won't know what most of it is. If you are a seriously wealthy audiophile or a strict two channel purist you might turn your nose up at some of it.

Not at all. No, I'm serious. What do you have?

Front mains = PSB Stratus Gold I. $2300 in 1999 This was PSB's flagship speaker 17 years ago when I bought them and they still sound great I just recently made the plunge into surround.
Surrounds PSB Imagine Mini $750
Center PSB Imagine Mini C $600
Sub JBL ES250 $ 350
Marantz SR6006 $1000 receiver driving the surrounds and center with the pre out going to
NAD C275BEE amplifier $1300 driving the PSB towers
Yamaha BD A1010 $400 all disk player
VPI Scout TT $1600
Ortofon Rondo Blue MC cartridge $800
Custom step-up transformer assembled by me $300
Tascam CDRW 900 CD recorder $400 for the occasional LP to digital transfer.

A few of these items were purchased on special offers and as refurb's so I paid a bit less. Those are typical retail prices.

750+ CD's and high res files loaded on my PC and delivered to the Marantz via server software, controlled by a tablet.
Around 450 LP's of various vintages.

I have some other stuff not currently in the system since I went to 5.1. Tuner, DAC, phono pre. The one in the Marantz is actually pretty good. I also have vintage turntable, mono tube amp and single large speaker in a dedicated mono system for fooling around with 40's and 50's mono jazz and pop recordings. I also have workshop, garage, and living room systems with bargains and homebuilts so I have music everywhere. My PC has a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb interface feeding a pair of JBL LSR 305 powered studio monitors for checking out new music and occasionally mixing down recordings of my church's worship band. It's not like I have tin ears and listen to a clock radio. I think the CX-5 Bose system, while not great, is pretty good. Good enough for me to enjoy it. I have the whole digital collection compressed down to 320kb AAC files onto a 128 gig usb stick in the car. The interface is a laggy PIA and it often forgets what it was playing when you turn the car off but when it is playing it sounds pretty good. If you are judging the system using XM, radio or bluetooth from a phone, try CD or high bit rate digital via usb. It sounds better with better sources.

Last edited:
Very nice!!

I moved away from physical cd and just like you all my music is ripped and store on an HD. I'm more into two channel. I tried hi res DAC and ended with a true 16bit non oversampling DAC. I know, kinda silly but to me it sounds more organic and kinda sound like vinyl (in a way).

Good to know there's an audiophile here. Personally I still don't like the Bose in my CX5. Lol. I'm just being honest sir!! :D

My uncle has those PSB Golds and I can attest, they sound incredible. I think his is run off a Macintosh Amplifier. He used to have Snell A acoustics prior to those run off a Crown amplifier.

Pototoy:

I know I'm being sarcastic, but there's just too much placed on fluff. I like a vehicle stripped of nonsense and a hard tight ride.

Ha ha ha, thanks for the laugh.

Very nice!!

I moved away from physical cd and just like you all my music is ripped and store on an HD. I'm more into two channel. I tried hi res DAC and ended with a true 16bit non oversampling DAC. I know, kinda silly but to me it sounds more organic and kinda sound like vinyl (in a way).

Good to know there's an audiophile here. Personally I still don't like the Bose in my CX5. Lol. I'm just being honest sir!! :D

I was two channel only until about a year ago. Had a nice tubed preamp driving that NAD, a Logitech Squeezebox feeding a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. I put together a cheap Ebay surround system for the kids movie night at the church. Thought it was kinda cool so I bought some better stuff for home. Had it hooked up to watch movies in 5.1 and then I could hit a switch and be back to my traditional two channel rig. After a few months of trying out music with it I sold my preamp and upgraded the receiver. Even the two channel files usually sounded better with the Dolby Pro Logic II creating ambient channels from the stereo depth information. So now I am an audio Philistine. Playing my TT into the receiver, chopping that sweet analog sound into bits at 192/24, EQ'ing for the room, steering some of it into the rears based on the PLII algorithms and then sending it back to the amps. It's sounds better than it ever has. Don't listen to a really good surround rig. It might be addictive. ;)

Brings back memories. In '82, I had an NAD 3140 bridged and the companion 2140 power amp bridged for the other channel. Connected to Epicure EPI 180's and my Denon turntable with moving-coil cartridge. Good stuff.

I agree there are areas that can improved but it still stands above the competition in the areas that matter (to me.) Kia Sorrento has better dynamics? How much is a comparably equipped Sorrento these days anyway- 40ish I believe..Haven't driven updated one but the old one rode like garbage. Again, what has a better engine/transmission at the price? NVH- ok it could be better but this engine shines in the bottom half of the tach anyway.
Bose suck? Disagree there I think its pretty damn good for not boasting a sub and I'm not that fond of most Bose products- not as good as my X1s HK system but it doesn't suck- and bluetooth works better than BMW's...My RWD X1 Msport is way faster with slightly better dynamics (its lower, smaller) but in terms of feel- Mazda nails it.
What did you have previous to CX5?

My 2015 Blose systems sucks. Worst I ever heard in a car audio system. I should have listened to it closer. I didn't think I'd detest it this much.

My Bose system sounds fine and I have close to 10K in my home sound system to compare. ............ I think those that hate the stock system want head banging bass that isn't related to playing actual music.
Actually, I'm looking for midrange, especially upper mids.

Is Ortofon still in business? I gave up vinyl when I found 24/192 DVD audio. I still have my old Thorens with Decca London arm and A-T MC cartridge, want it? :D

Last edited:
Back