2016 CX5, Cherokee or???

Hi Folks...

Sorry for a bad English, I'm a french canadian!

Coming from an 2008 WRX, 2010 STI and I now own a 2013 CX5 GT + tech...

My location ends in may so I'm currently on the market...

I saw the new 2016 CX5 but was disapointed... It looks like my 2013 and no change to the 2.5L engine...
Also, my dealers wants (canada) 660$ (with taxes) for a 36 months location for CX5 GT+ tech... It is really high...

I'm thining about going to the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee limited with the V6...

Money is a factor and not, but 40 000$ for a CX5 seems high to me...

Any suggestion? I like the 2015 WRX but I need space for a future family! Thanx!

Just make sure you learn about reliability of Cherokee and GC. I don't think that GC is in the same league as CX-5 though. And not that roomy at all. Durango is much more family-friendly, although suffers from the same quality issues...

Depends on what you are looking for in drivability. I see you come from sporty cars. If you want a suv you can drive sporty, the cx-5 would be the choice. If you like to mod stuff, the cx-5 would really be the choice because you can easily tighten up the suspension. If you really need obstacle clearance and or towing and snow/offroad performance the jeep would be better although the cx-5 would work too. If you are looking at a cuv mainly for something like interior space, seating positon over clearance and towing, you would probably enjoy the cx-5 when considering your past cars.

I wouldn't touch a Chrysker product even if it was free. They look great, but quality is horrific. You truly get what you pay for.

I don't think the CX-5 is terribly overpriced. The 2016 is sharp looking, but it did go up some in price. Maybe try to source a 2015 which is less expensive and should have at least a better interest rate and maybe other incentives.

From what I've read the Jeep is better off-road than the CX-5. I looked at the jeep while shopping for a car, however the reliability ratings I read about scared me away.

I'm sorry, what does it mean by your location is ending? (Lease ending?) If I were you I'd stick with your current 2013. But like you said you're in the market, maybe take a look at 2015/2016 if you like your current 2013. I went into a dealership to check out the SRT GC and the interior appeared to be so bad for a near $70k usd vehicle. The cabin also felt tiny. Since you're up north you'll be dealing with a lot of winter conditions. Definitely do not overlook Subaru as you've owned them in the past.

I'm sorry, what does it mean by your location is ending? (Lease ending?) If I were you I'd stick with your current 2013. But like you said you're in the market, maybe take a look at 2015/2016 if you like your current 2013. I went into a dealership to check out the SRT GC and the interior appeared to be so bad for a near $70k usd vehicle. The cabin also felt tiny. Since you're up north you'll be dealing with a lot of winter conditions. Definitely do not overlook Subaru as you've owned them in the past.

I'm from Quebec too :)

Location = Lease in french. OP just forgot to translate that word.

2013 CX-5s had a 2L engine. The 2.5 came in the picture on the 2014 version of the car. It's very much expected that the 2016 version has a lot in common with your 2013. It's just a 3 year old design after all.

Your timing isn't great to look at 2016 Mazda prices; the cars just came out and interest rates are way up there at the moment. This never lasts with Mazda Canada, and will come down as soon as the 2015s are sold out, IMHO. Consider getting a GT without the Tech package; that's a good way to drop your final price, while keeping essentially what's on your current '13 w/Tech.

The Cherokee has a really bad cargo area, it's cramped, your new family will never be able to fit it's stuff in there. That 9 speed transmission has too many issues for me to even consider it as an option. The GC is nicer, but it's still a Fiat Chrysler product; bad service at the dealer, and you'll need it often.

If you really want a faster car, go check out the Forester XT. Expensive (A 3 year lease on it in Canada costs $700/month!) and far from good-looking, but it does go fast.

Last edited:
I had once pondered getting one but couldn't quite find the love for the look. It seems easier to look at now as I have seen a lot of them.

2.4L I hear is a dog but the 3.2L Pentastar V6 is lively at around 270HP but big MPG hit. I would have only considered a Trailhawk if I had gotten one though as it really is setup for some some off roading non-typical of a CUV. Fully decked in the US it was close to $40k and that included things like radar cruise.

Reliability.... time will tell but the start out of the gate with the 9 speed didn't help things. I hear most of the bugs were worked out with that but no longer following vehicle for info.

Not sure if you get all these models in Canada, but CarAdvice here in Australia just did a 4-way comparison of "sporty" SUVs including the 2016 CX-5 GT 2.5 petrol, Subaru Forester XT, VW Tiguan 155TSI and recently updated Ford Kuga with its new 2.0 litre turbo engine. The CX-5 was the only non-turbo and was down on performance against the others, but it actually won the comparison overall due to its mix of driver enjoyment, classy interior and superior infotainment system. Having said that, if the best performance was what you were after, maybe one of the other ones would suit your needs too.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/338013/...a-cx-5-v-subaru-forester-v-volkswagen-tiguan/

They also did a 10 car comparison of popular SUVs last year (including both the 2015 CX-5 and Cherokee V6) and again the CX-5 came out on top overall (CR-V was 2nd, Cherokee was 3rd):

http://www.caradvice.com.au/295571/medium-suv-comparison-jeep-cherokee-v-mazda-cx-5-v-toyota-rav4-v-nissan-x-trail-v-ford-kuga-v-subaru-forester-v-hyundai-ix35-v-honda-cr-v-v-mitsubishi-outlander-v-kia-sportage/

It might be worth a read, even if you don't get all the same models in Canada.

Well never buy another jeep even its the last car in the planet. It's a piece of crap. It spent more time in the dealer than on my driveway.

Only Jeep that hasn't ever caused me any grief is my '00 Wrangler with the 4.0L & 5 Speed manual. I still have it.

Last edited:
We have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk. Its 4 wheel drive performance is awesome. We are waiting on the check from Chrysler for lemon law. Looking at the CX5 for its replacement. The Cherokee seats, infotainment and gadgetry are all great. Transmission is not so great. The 2015 Cherokee has cylinder deactivation. Not sure why, this causes a little unintended acceleration when coasting to a stop.

Also going to test drive the Rav4, Highlander and new Ford Edge.

Don't count out the Subie's since you've driven them before. I was about 30 seconds from signing on the dotted line for an Outback before the Mazda dealer called me with another chunk off the price on the CX-5 and sold me on it - I would have had to wait 5 weeks for the arrival of the Outback (2.5i Touring with Technology Package) - for about $2k less than a CX-5 GT, you get the adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, etc.. for about the same price as a CX-5 GT you can also have the full Limited+Tech leather package, etc.. and the outback is absolutely enormous inside compared to the CX-5 (and is way better looking than the Forester if you ask me). I'd stay far away from the Jeeps... to get an even somewhat equivalently equipped GC you're more expensive with no where near the fuel economy. I'm still torn as to the new Kia Sorento (I just came from driving a 2012 for 225,000km) - the new 2016 with the turbocharged 4 is a sweet SUV, and the price on a lease (EX trim) will be under $500/mo with a vehicle that's almost fully loaded with goodies (SX is beyond ridiculous with how much is included, like heated and cooled front and rear seats, power folding mirrors, power liftgate, autodimming homelink mirror, etc.) - some days I think my CX-5 might see a trade in for another Sorento before it gets too old... so much more room, feels more like a luxury SUV inside with way more thoughtful touches... (heated mirrors, windshield de-icer, standard roof rails, UVO/inifniti infotainment that actually works all the time, standard backup radar, 110V outlets, one touch auto up/down on all windows, rear seat controlled a/c vents, 3rd row seating available, electric seat memory, heated steering wheel, locking AWD differential, etc.) - I miss a lot of that in the CX-5 on a daily basis...

Don't count out the Subie's since you've driven them before. I was about 30 seconds from signing on the dotted line for an Outback before the Mazda dealer called me with another chunk off the price on the CX-5 and sold me on it - I would have had to wait 5 weeks for the arrival of the Outback (2.5i Touring with Technology Package) - for about $2k less than a CX-5 GT, you get the adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, etc.. for about the same price as a CX-5 GT you can also have the full Limited+Tech leather package, etc.. and the outback is absolutely enormous inside compared to the CX-5 (and is way better looking than the Forester if you ask me). I'd stay far away from the Jeeps... to get an even somewhat equivalently equipped GC you're more expensive with no where near the fuel economy. I'm still torn as to the new Kia Sorento (I just came from driving a 2012 for 225,000km) - the new 2016 with the turbocharged 4 is a sweet SUV, and the price on a lease (EX trim) will be under $500/mo with a vehicle that's almost fully loaded with goodies (SX is beyond ridiculous with how much is included, like heated and cooled front and rear seats, power folding mirrors, power liftgate, autodimming homelink mirror, etc.) - some days I think my CX-5 might see a trade in for another Sorento before it gets too old... so much more room, feels more like a luxury SUV inside with way more thoughtful touches... (heated mirrors, windshield de-icer, standard roof rails, UVO/inifniti infotainment that actually works all the time, standard backup radar, 110V outlets, one touch auto up/down on all windows, rear seat controlled a/c vents, 3rd row seating available, electric seat memory, heated steering wheel, locking AWD differential, etc.) - I miss a lot of that in the CX-5 on a daily basis...

My modest experience with kia's is they have a lot of features but the basics like engine, transmission and suspension are under-designed - noisy and rough. It's like they fill the vehicle up with third party-sourced add-ons (which is where all those little things come from), while skimping on their own engineering.

I'm still not sold on Hyundai and Kia... they seem to be a good value on features but still average for reliability.

I'm still not sold on Hyundai and Kia... they seem to be a good value on features but still average for reliability.

I put 150,000 miles (over 230,000km) on my '12 Sorento in 3 years - never once had to go back to the dealer or garage for anything - everything just worked from day one - and it was quieter and shifted as smooth as my cx-5 -- the manual mode on the automatic especially. The only thing I ever did with it was oil changes every 7,000 miles (11,000km) and new tires at 60,000 (100k km) and 120,000 miles (200k km). Honestly it felt like a better car to drive than the cx-5 in many ways.

I put 150,000 miles (over 230,000km) on my '12 Sorento in 3 years - never once had to go back to the dealer or garage for anything - everything just worked from day one - and it was quieter and shifted as smooth as my cx-5 -- the manual mode on the automatic especially. The only thing I ever did with it was oil changes every 7,000 miles (11,000km) and new tires at 60,000 (100k km) and 120,000 miles (200k km). Honestly it felt like a better car to drive than the cx-5 in many ways.

That's good to hear! I'm tainted on Hyundai from historical experiences and Kia from friends and family. No one I know owned a Sorento so maybe that is the catch.

That's good to hear! I'm tainted on Hyundai from historical experiences and Kia from friends and family. No one I know owned a Sorento so maybe that is the catch.
Not a fan of the Hyundais either - I know people who have had a lot of suspension issues on Santa Fe's, and I know older Kia's (pre '10) were relatively poor. Since they re-vamped their entire product line I'm much happier with the build. The problem is their prices are now rivaling some of the semi-luxury brands (A fully loaded Sorento SX runs about the same as a BMW X3 or Mercedes GLK in Canada). The CX-5 is still a bit of a bargain in comparison (It would have been $42,000 to drive away in a Sportage EX Luxury, $44,000 for a Sorento SX - where I was at $37,000 in a GS trim CX-5, and would have been $41,000 in a GT trim) - but I do miss a lot of the goodies and gadgets and thoughtful touches (I really miss the storage compartments under the cargo floor for one).

Oh well - no car is perfect - I've come to that conclusion - there's something I could find to pick on in any vehicle I ever drove. I started my search with "if I had infinite money what would I buy" - and tried to move back to reality from there - the problem was - even given "infinite money" I'd have a hard time picking one vehicle that would meet all my needs always. Maybe a fully loaded Acura MDX with SH-AWD.

Not a fan of the Hyundais either - I know people who have had a lot of suspension issues on Santa Fe's, and I know older Kia's (pre '10) were relatively poor. Since they re-vamped their entire product line I'm much happier with the build. The problem is their prices are now rivaling some of the semi-luxury brands (A fully loaded Sorento SX runs about the same as a BMW X3 or Mercedes GLK in Canada). The CX-5 is still a bit of a bargain in comparison (It would have been $42,000 to drive away in a Sportage EX Luxury, $44,000 for a Sorento SX - where I was at $37,000 in a GS trim CX-5, and would have been $41,000 in a GT trim) - but I do miss a lot of the goodies and gadgets and thoughtful touches (I really miss the storage compartments under the cargo floor for one).

Oh well - no car is perfect - I've come to that conclusion - there's something I could find to pick on in any vehicle I ever drove. I started my search with "if I had infinite money what would I buy" - and tried to move back to reality from there - the problem was - even given "infinite money" I'd have a hard time picking one vehicle that would meet all my needs always. Maybe a fully loaded Acura MDX with SH-AWD.

Those Canadian prices on things... wow!!..

Let me ask you this. Overall do Canadian jobs pay more than the equivalent US positions?

If so, this may explain to some here why prices are substantially higher than USD versions. If not... ...I'll leave the opinion offline.

I've only ever cross-shopped an RDX... not really fond of the Acura beak the last few years.

Back