2016 CX-9 - Why I think there are so many complaints about the AC - It's the windows

mazdacx9-321

:
2016 cx-9 signature
I am a brand new Mazda owner. I have about 2000 miles on my new CX-9 Signature. So far, I love the car. It is my first Mazda. My last 4 vehicles were Infiniti. I notice that there is a consistent criticism in reviews and forums about the AC. I have a theory based on my reviews of the forums and my experience thus far.

I was driving the other day and it was 42 degrees out. The sun was extremely bright and coming through the driver side window. I had the AC on auto set to 68. I was sweating. I lowered it to 65. I eventually lowered it to 60 and put it on full blast and was still not cool. I could feel the heat radiating through the window. The AC actually felt cold, but it was fighting the heat from the sun coming through the window.

About a week later, I was driving out of town for work. It was a 1 1/2 hour drive. On the first leg of the trip, it was 45 degrees out and the sun was coming through the driver side window again. I set the AC at 62 degrees just to maintain a comfortable driving temperature. About 30 minutes later, i realized I was very cold. The sun was still out, but the direction I was traveling and the time of day put the sun toward the back of the vehicle. It was a completely different experience. I had to adjust temperature to 68 degrees. Every time the sun comes through the drivers front window, it is extremely warm in my car, even it if is not hot outside.

The one common theme in the very long thread on this topic in this forum is the one thing that seems to work is window tint. My plan is to put some form of tint on my windows to block the UV rays and heat. I think the AC complaints may be somewhat misguided. I think the problem is that the front windows magnify the sun's heat unlike prior cars that I have owned. Have other's experienced this and if so, has putting some for of tint on the windows helped. Thanks. Other than this, I am a very happy new Mazda owner.

Every car has a front windshield that lets the sun in--why is the CX-9 different? If sun coming into the car makes the AC not work properly, then the AC is not adequate. That's like saying a car that has inadequate headlights only experiences the problem at night, but is fine during the day.

Tex2670: I generally would agree with you except where I really notice the problem is the driver side front window. The air feels relatively cold coming out the vents, but the heat radiating off the window is very noticeable. I have offices at two different locations. The windows at one of the locations radiates heat so much that I often turn the AC on in the office in the middle of winter. We don't have weak AC in that office, but it must contend with the heat generated by those windows. For the CX-9, it may be a combination of both weak AC and the windows, but when was the last time you had to turn on your car's AC in November when it was 45 degrees out. For me, never. The car get extremely hot when the sun is shining through the driver side window. Whether the issue is the fault of the AC or the windows not giving protection, or a combination, the solution may be to put some high quality window tint. It seems to have made a significant difference with others.

@mazdacx9-321. I created an account just to say I agree with your on your assessment. I noticed the same on 2nd day I got my cx-9. Not sure about the passenger side windows but the sun light/heat coming through the driver side window is very noticeable warmer than all other cars I have. I also think the AC is weak for the size of the car.

The windows may be a factor but they're not an excuse. When you design an A/C system (for a building, house or car) you need to consider all the factors including the space to be cooled, the outside environment and exposure to sunlight. It seems they didn't get this right.

I think the problem is with the Auto Climate system..... If you take the system into Manual mode.... turn down the temperature to the lowest setting, turn up the fan...it maintains a cool AC temperature better....

Well, look at it this way, if it is the driver and passenger windows then thats an easy $100 fix at a local tint shop. I always do this anyways with new cars so the front windows have the same tint as the rear windows, or at least close if local laws don't allow for dark tinted windows. On a related note, for our house, we put a pretty lightly tinted window film on our picture window (faces south), and it blocks something like 90% of UV. Makes a big difference in our living room in terms of the heat generated by direct sunlight.

Last edited:
Tinting is essential, in my judgement. I live in the Phoenix area and a car without tinting is an obvious out of state car or a newbie to AZ. First investment in a window with a large greenhouse: tinting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, I wonder how many people that find the ac lacking have black interiors. Our (old) VW TDI with black interior took a while to cool down. If you want to get technical, black has more thermal mass to cool down (than a lighter color).

Also, I wonder how many people that find the ac lacking have black interiors. Our (old) VW TDI with black interior took a while to cool down. If you want to get technical, black has more thermal mass to cool down (than a lighter color).

i have the sand interior but there is a lot of black still in this interior (which i like about it). the dash and sides are mostly black....basically only the seats are sand. i don't complain about the A/C like others but i live in NJ, not Florida so huge difference.

It's funny because I made the comment to several people this summer, I've never experienced a car that got as hot as this one, sitting outside in the sun in the summer... It gets insanely hot. Granted I have not gotten my windows tinted (yet), but it still felt as hot as a car sitting outside on a hot July day in Dubai.

And the stupid touch screen warning about the display being too hot, keeps coming back for a good 10 minutes until the interior plastic cools down.

Well, not scientific or anything, but I tinted my car (except windshield) with 3M's Crystalline, and it make a difference.

So much, that I am willing to spend another 200 for my windshield as well regardless the inconvenience that represent for suction cups. I believe it worth it.

This, definitively got me almost convinced that the Air conditioner on the CX9 is not enough for southern states heat, much less summer

Thanks to all who replied to the thread I started. I just put window tint on my driver and passenger side front windows. I also did not do my windshield (yet). I live in New York state so it has been cloudy and cold so I can't yet tell if it makes a difference. Because of strict NY laws, windows must allow 70% of light to pass through so very light tint, but they are "ceramic" which is supposed to really deflect the heat. I will report back on the very first sunny day in upstate NY. Probably some time in mid May. I have a feeling this is going to make a huge difference. I hope Mazda is reading these threads and listening. I have never, ever had to put window tint on my car before.

I live in VA and was out the other day @ ~50 in the afternoon. With A/C on and I feel the heat on my left side of the face. I definitely will tint my windows. I can't imagine what it will be like when park outside in the summer.

I feel the heat on my left side of the face.
I think a contributing factor is that the B pillar is rather far back which is great for both visibility and ease-of-entrance; however,it can contribute to some additional radiation on the face.

Back