2016 CX-9 Warranty

AAA quoted me an additional 5 years 100,000 miles with $0 deductible on the GT model for $2200. Identical to original factory warranty for all parts is what they said. I'm going to look at closely after I pickup my new GT. They told me to wait until year 3 so the 5 years kicks in right before my original one expires.

We purchased a warranty through CNA at the dealership for $1799 bumper to bumper, 10 year - 120k miles, with a 'disappearing deductible', meaning no deductible when taken back to the dealer for repair, otherwise it's $100 deductible. I'm happy with this!

I'm not sure how the dealerships differ but at the Mazda place my wife got her 2015 CX-9 they offer a 1,000,000 mile lifetime warranty on the power train at no extra cost as long as the dealership does all the oil changes and repairs. Has anyone else had that offer?
The dealership is counting on people not owning the cars too many years. It likely only applies to the original purchaser. And, the dealership is counting on many opportunities to sell service to these oil change customers, whether the service is needed or not. The service department is the gold mine for the ownership.

I hope everyone understands that there is no such thing as an extended warranty nor extending the factory warranty. What we talk about are prepaid service contracts. As contracts, the consumer has less protection under contract law than a real warranty does under warranty law. Note that Mazda calls them "Extended Confidence Plans." https://www.mazdausa.com/mazda-extended-confidence They do not call them extended warranties. (There are a few cases where the car maker has produced a problem and then actually does extend the factory warranty on the part that causes the problems. You can't buy these; you just bought the lemon of a car with the problem, and the factory provides the coverage to help their P.R.)

These extended service plans are a product for the dealership to sell just like mud flaps or brake repairs. They are a big profit item with a commission for the guy making the sale, a profit for the dealership, a profit for the underwriter, and something left over to pay claims. You can buy them on-line from a Mazda dealership, or independent outfit, usually anytime up to the end of the factory warranty. The independent outfits have the problem that if they go broke, you're left with nothing. In any case, if you buy, negotiate hard on the price. Find out in advance what the price is on-line, and don't pay more.

These are really peace-of-mind insurance. Buy them if you'll sleep better. Most buyers lose money with them. A few come out ahead. If you buy, read the fine print very closely. Find out what is covered, what is not covered, what you have to do to keep the coverage in effect. In some cases you need to do specified maintenance. It might be different from the owner's manual maintenance--read that fine print.

Here's some pricing:
http://mazdaextendedwarranty-bachro...r=2016&model=CX9&state=WA&inservice=&prcTwo=y

Last edited:
With a brand new turbo engine plus an all new vehicle, I find $1800 to be affordable peace of mind (and value) for an additional 7 years/84,000 miles of protection. Amitorized over that time is $180 a year.

With a brand new turbo engine plus an all new vehicle, I find $1800 to be affordable peace of mind (and value) for an additional 7 years/84,000 miles of protection. Amitorized over that time is $180 a year.

The original warranty in Mexico is 3 years or 60,000km.

The extended warranty cover from 60,000 to 125,000 KM and as soon of the original warranty ends and for 3 more years (6 years at the end).

The extended warranty (Original Price 725 USD, promotion if purchased on day one: 230USD ) cover:

• Engine
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Turbo
  • AWD
  • Suspension
  • Brake system, including ABS system
  • Electric System (including door motors, mirror motors, sunroof motors)
  • AC
  • all sensors

Not included:

• brake pads
  • filters
  • battery
  • oil
  • airbags and related system

Not clear (will check with Dealer):
  • audio system
  • NAV
  • Tires

Deductible: 28 USD

Last edited:
These extended service plans are a product for the dealership to sell just like mud flaps or brake repairs. They are a big profit item with a commission for the guy making the sale, a profit for the dealership, a profit for the underwriter, and something left over to pay claims. You can buy them on-line from a Mazda dealership, or independent outfit, usually anytime up to the end of the factory warranty. The independent outfits have the problem that if they go broke, you're left with nothing. In any case, if you buy, negotiate hard on the price. Find out in advance what the price is on-line, and don't pay more.

These are really peace-of-mind insurance. Buy them if you'll sleep better. Most buyers lose money with them. A few come out ahead. If you buy, read the fine print very closely. Find out what is covered, what is not covered, what you have to do to keep the coverage in effect. In some cases you need to do specified maintenance. It might be different from the owner's manual maintenance--read that fine print.

Here's some pricing:
http://mazdaextendedwarranty-bachro...r=2016&model=CX9&state=WA&inservice=&prcTwo=y

I had a bad experience with 2007 Volvo and transmission. With 24,000 KM and 2 1/2 years I replaced my transmission (5000 USD value) due to no extended warranty. So I believe my investment of 250 USD give me peace of mind. Yes, sure, some items are not covered (airbags, batt, etc) but most engine, electric and mechanical items are covered (engine, transmission, turbo, awd, brake system, AC, etc).

It's not clear if NAV & Audio are covered at this point because the small prints have some confused text about this parts. I will check with dealer.

I hope everyone understands that there is no such thing as an extended warranty nor extending the factory warranty.
Thanks for the great post and information. If I am comparison shopping warranties across brands, is there any real difference between a 10 yr/ 100k drive train factory warranty (as Hyundai has) vs. purchasing an extended warranty (pre-paid service contract in your lingo) that covers up to 10 yr/ 100k? Your post implies that the factory warranty is in some sense 'stronger'. Are you saying that I would have to jump through more hoops to get work approved under the extended warranty vs factory warranty? Thanks.

Are you saying that I would have to jump through more hoops to get work approved under the extended warranty vs factory warranty? Thanks.

In my personal opinion, the process is almost identical. As an example, let's say we have an issue with the breaks (ABS)

Original Warranty (i.e: year 2)

You detect the issue.
You bring the SUV to Mazda
Mazda run the diagnostics
Mazda calls you and let you know the ABS system is damaged and they need to fix it
They request the parts
They receive the parts
the replace the parts
They do the required adjustments, configurations and test
they let you know when the SUV is ready
You pick up the SUV
You pay CERO zero (0) nada - nothing

"Extended Warranty" (i.e: year 5)

You detect the issue.
You bring the SUV to Mazda
Mazda run the diagnostics
Mazda calls you and let you know the ABS system is damaged and they need to fix it
You say you are covered under the "extended warranty". They will check on system or request you the original paperwork (or perhaps a copy by email)
They verify you are covered and notify you.
They request the parts
They receive the parts
the replace the parts
They do the required adjustments, configurations and test
they let you know when the SUV is ready
You pick up the SUV
You pay the deductible (25 USD in MX).

Last edited:
Back