2016 CX-5 Spotted with a Facelift

I'm undecided as well.. it kind of looks like an Infiniti grille.

xmazda-cx-5-facelift-front.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jEgaUvtxUT.webp

Cleaning the honeycomb grille of insect cadavers was quite a task. The little buggers were found in every nook and every crack and required every hexagon to be cleaned separately.
With simple straight lines cleaning will be easier ...

Following the corporate 5 point grill but just updated horizontal slits like the Mazda6, Mazda3, and new Demio/2. Headlights and taillights look like direct design carry over from Demio as well.

If it's anything like Mazda's past with minor face lifts; it should be a simple bolt on swap. At most a bit of mounting hole modification. The body panels, front and rear bumper covers look EXACTLY the same. This is what I hoped for when it came to a face lift, just light housing changes to LED units that can potentially be swapped. With that said. MY WALLET IS READY FOR F/R LED LIGHTS SWAP.

PS: I guess I'm the only one that is a fan of the new grill. I hate cleaning the honeycomb of ours. Someone photoshop the pictures to something we can expect to see. Paste some new Demio lights on it.

2015-Mazda2-LED-DRL.jpg

New-Mazda2-Demio-headlight.jpg

New-Mazda2-Demio-taillight.jpg

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the headunit looks nothing like the current unit? Looks like a larger screen, no buttons or knob on headunit, with a silver horizontal trim on top (seen in two photos). I'd say similar dimensions to the 7 inch found in the Mazda3 and upcoming Demio/2. Also new is the silver trim around the air vents. This is all speculation of course. The spy photos are of a German market CX-5. Their current CX-5 share the same headunit as ours.

New style wheels too. The ones covered in black.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 16int.png
    16int.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 4,547
Last edited:
The nice thing about that head unit is it looks like it fits in the same sized spot as the old one, so if they are adding the same system hopefully it's a direct swap for us. I would really like the new headlights, but buying two brand new adaptive HID units even if they are plug and play is going to be really really expensive.

Doesn't look like any kind of improvement on current grill to me. Would have preferred a more 3/6-like design.

Looks like Mazda is going all Ford on us. Never liked the horizontal striped Ford grills.
Post below indicates larger display meaning Mazda3 infotainment FINALLY will be in the CX-5.
Kind of ominous that no software update has been offered for CX-5 owners for infotainment flaws.
Starting to look like we will be orphaned.

The new grill will definitely be a lot easier to clean compared to the honey comb grill... Headunit, probably upgrading to a CarPlay or Android Auto compatible unit I assume.

Looks like Mazda is going all Ford on us. Never liked the horizontal striped Ford grills.
Post below indicates larger display meaning Mazda3 infotainment FINALLY will be in the CX-5.
Kind of ominous that no software update has been offered for CX-5 owners for infotainment flaws.
Starting to look like we will be orphaned.
When you consider how diligent Ford has been with software upgrades for MFT, it's astonishing how lax Mazda has been!

My eyes may be deceiving me, but the photos look like there are two different versions of an updated CX5. The grill in one photo looks bright silver, and in another photo the grill looks like the color of the car - dark gray. Emblems look different - one flush to the car and the other more 3-D. Wheel colors are different. One photo shows the fog light areas covered, and another photo shows the fog light areas exposed (but with no fog lights installed). Anybody else noticing this?

Cleaning the honeycomb grille of insect cadavers was quite a task. The little buggers were found in every nook and every crack and required every hexagon to be cleaned separately.
With simple straight lines cleaning will be easier ...

I have found that area does take extra time & care to clean as well.

hmm, that would be a good time to bring the diesel if not sooner :)

Man. I wish I could wait firbrhe 2016! The halos look nice on the front and back. I did notice they went without fog lights? Usually its the other way around. Older models no fog then add them.

And where the h*all do you all live for you to need to clean your grills often enough to care that it'll be easier!

Not sure if anyone else caught this, but one of the articles I read online said that Mazda is planning to officially show the car at the LA auto show in November...

Back