2016 CX-5 Oil Change Frequency

Actually I just bought all Japanese made PE01-14-302A oil filters in their stock on the other day and Med Center Mazda now has no more Japanese made OEM oil filters. :)

Well poo on you :p How were you able to get those specifically? Call Med Center to order instead of online?

OEM Oil Filter

Yeah they're Taiwan-made filters. Of course the one I removed was a Japan-made filter. Does it really matter? I remember years ago I would go to the local Honda dealer to pick up a Honda filter, and I would always tell them I wanted a "Made in USA" filter by Filtech, as opposed to the Made in Canada filters for Honda, made by Fram. Blech.

Maybe it's the Taiwanese filters that have this lube stuff on the seal already?

attachment.php
attachment.php
Ha, I thought I was the only one insisting a Honda filter which is made in USA by Filtech instead of the one made in Canada by Fram! Now our 1998 Honda CR-V has 175,233 miles I have eased up my persistence and used a free Fram Extra Guard oil filter came with 5 quarts of Castrol GTX oil purchase for its recent oil change.

The reason made me getting as many Japanese made PE01-14-302A oil filters as possible when available is it does look different than the Thai made 1WPE-14-302 filter, from the passing holes showing on your picture (6 round holes vs 8 oval holes) to the physical size (a little bigger in diameter). The part number with a "A" for Japanese made filter is an indication that it's a revised (and newer) version than the part number without an "A". We'll find all new Mazda vehicles with SkyActiv-G engines would still use Japanese oil filter from factory, which indicates PE01-14-302A oil filter is not truely replaced by 1WPE-14-302, but really just cheaper on cost for Mazda North American Operations selling it in this market. Of course I still feel the quality of manufacturing from Japan should be superior than Thailand (not Taiwan)!

It's easier than Honda filters to distinguish two different Mazda oil filters as Mazda uses different part numbers but Honda uses the same part number. My local Mazda dealer has none for Japanese filter and the parts guy told me even if he special order it using Japanese filter part number, the system will supersede it automatically with new part number. I did call Med Center Mazda first to verify their stock availability of Japanese filter, then I still had to order it online, then I called Brian the parts manager to make sure they don't substitute any of 23 Japanese filters I ordered with Thai filters. These Japanese filters should be enough for 12 years of supply as I intend to keep our CX-5 as long as possible! :)

The Japanese filter is easily sourced from Ebay or Amazon if not locally. The ideal alternate filter specifically for Skyactiv engines should be (WITHOUT) Anti-Drainback Valve just like OEM specs<<< that's the most important part. I was at the store the other day and saw a premium Bosch Filter which does fit like a lot of them out there but it has an Anti-Drainback Valve. Would not meet specs. The Wix 57002 on the other hand doesn't have an Anti-Drainback Valve and would meet specs.

OEM Oil Filter

The Japanese filter is easily sourced from Ebay or Amazon if not locally. The ideal alternate filter specifically for Skyactiv engines should be (WITHOUT) Anti-Drainback Valve just like OEM specs<<< that's the most important part. I was at the store the other day and saw a premium Bosch Filter which does fit like a lot of them out there but it has an Anti-Drainback Valve. Would not meet specs. The Wix 57002 on the other hand doesn't have an Anti-Drainback Valve and would meet specs.
PE01-14-302A Japanese oil filter is going to be hard to find in the US. Yeah Amazon still has it but for $10.33 each! eBay's mostly is from Med Center Mazda and they no longer have it. The thing is Mazda North American Operations has decided to import (older and cheaper IMO) 1WPE-14-302 Thai oil filter and the old stock eventually will be depleted and gone!

Ha, I thought I was the only one insisting a Honda filter which is made in USA by Filtech instead of the one made in Canada by Fram! Now our 1998 Honda CR-V has 175,233 miles I have eased up my persistence and used a free Fram Extra Guard oil filter came with 5 quarts of Castrol GTX oil purchase for its recent oil change.

heh, are or were you ever on Honda-Tech? That's how I knew about US Filtech vs. Candian Fram Honda filters. For at least 10 years on my Integra I've been using STP and sometimes more recently Purolater filters. Never once have I put Fram on that car, and I don't intend to on the CX-5 either!

What's wrong with having an anti-drainback valve? Is it because the filter points down on this car and doesn't need one?

PE01-14-302A Japanese oil filter is going to be hard to find in the US. Yeah Amazon still has it but for $10.33 each! eBay's mostly is from Med Center Mazda and they no longer have it. The thing is Mazda North American Operations has decided to import (older and cheaper IMO) 1WPE-14-302 Thai oil filter and the old stock eventually will be depleted and gone!

Man you're right prices have gone up. First thing that comes to mind was the Japan earthquake/tsunami they had a while back affecting future inventory. I guess the future is now. The Wix filter is an alternative (rebranded Napa Gold I heard) but I noticed its price has gone up at bit as well. It doesn't really affect me that much as I use Pennzoil Platinum which is half the cost of the Mazda oil w/moly.

What's wrong with having an anti-drainback valve? Is it because the filter points down on this car and doesn't need one?

To be honest I forgot the finer details but the skyactiv engine is spec'd to not have one. Maybe someone can chime in.

Oil filters that are mounted with the threads pointing up, they don't really need an anti-drainback valve cause of gravity naturally keeps the filter filled with oil. For oil filters mounted with the threads pointed down or sideways, oil can drain out of it, so an ADBV helps to keep the oil filters primed with oil so that on start-up, it doesnt run dry. Thats why I fill my oil filters before installing them.

I don't think it would hurt to use a filter with an ADBV.

Heh, I am working in AZ atm. Can you suggest a good AZ dealer near Phoenix?

Wix is the best filter out there, besides the Mazda. There is a bunch of studies to back it up. wix also makes napa gold .....just take the 5 off all wix numbers to get the napa gold number. wix-57002 napa 7002 rockauto price is under $6

Oil filters that are mounted with the threads pointing up, they don't really need an anti-drainback valve cause of gravity naturally keeps the filter filled with oil. For oil filters mounted with the threads pointed down or sideways, oil can drain out of it, so an ADBV helps to keep the oil filters primed with oil so that on start-up, it doesnt run dry. Thats why I fill my oil filters before installing them.

I don't think it would hurt to use a filter with an ADBV.

Heh, I am working in AZ atm. Can you suggest a good AZ dealer near Phoenix?

Avondale Mazda has a good service department. Their sales department is a bit aggressive.

The skyactiv filter calls for a high flow rate. I can't find the article/post by someone from the company that makes Wix filter 57002. Say filter 1234 can be used by some BMW, Audi, Volvo models while filter 5678 can be used for Nissan, Toyota, Ford. Well Wix developed filter 57002 to specifically to meet the specs for skyactiv engines. I don't think you can cross reference that filter with anything else. At least not at the time of the article/post.

Other filters may fit but they may not meet skyactiv engine specs. Here's an illustration:
556601d1428241636-high-flow-skyactiv-filter-use-fd-oil-filters.jpg

Last edited:
Back