2015 Mazda CX5 Autodimming mirror's homelink is NFG

nardologix

:
Mazda, CX-5
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 2015 Mazda CX5 in December 2014 and had the mazda auto-dimming mirror installed by the dealership before I picked it up. The auto dimming function has always worked without any problems but the homelink garage door programming functionality has never worked (when you depress and hold the any button the LED is supposed to flash red, but it just stays green). The dealership has replaced the mirror once and the homelink still does not work on a new mirror. They've even installed my original mirror into another CX-5 and it worked fine in that car.

The dealership is still in the process of figuring out what is going on but I thought I'd ask you guys to see if anyone might have any idea how to get the thing to work.

Thanks!

i just followed the directions on the homelink page, surprisingly it worked - the opener/remote is 20 years old (sears craftsman model) so i had my doubts

so might be your GD opener

perhaps try changing the remote codes?

i just followed the directions on the homelink page, surprisingly it worked - the opener/remote is 20 years old (sears craftsman model) so i had my doubts

so might be your GD opener

perhaps try changing the remote codes?

Are you saying you programmed yours without the LED working too?
I'm thinking it's possible you might have misunderstood what's going on with mine.

Normally, when you program it, you hold the button you want to program down. When a button is held down, the LED is supposed to flash red. Mine just sits there with a green LED. Since the light doesnt flash, I have no way to know if the mirror is taking in the programming. I've got a 2012 Ford Focus with homelink and it works fine with my garage door.

I have tried to blindly program homelink without the LED confirmation flashes. It didnt work.

Have you tried...

Are you saying you programmed yours without the LED working too?
I'm thinking it's possible you might have misunderstood what's going on with mine.

Normally, when you program it, you hold the button you want to program down. When a button is held down, the LED is supposed to flash red. Mine just sits there with a green LED. Since the light doesnt flash, I have no way to know if the mirror is taking in the programming. I've got a 2012 Ford Focus with homelink and it works fine with my garage door.

I have tried to blindly program homelink without the LED confirmation flashes. It didnt work.

Have you tried holding the two outer buttons to erase the Homelink 1st? Could be it is programmed with another code??

Have you tried holding the two outer buttons to erase the Homelink 1st? Could be it is programmed with another code??

Sure have. Everything I have tried has not been able to change the state of the LED. (Or assist in letting me blindly program the door)

Very Strange indeed!

Sure have. Everything I have tried has not been able to change the state of the LED. (Or assist in letting me blindly program the door)

If I understand, A Homelink mirror that did not work in your CX-5 DID work in another vehicle? THAT IS THE STRANGEST THING YET W/ HOMELINK!

The implication would be that something in your auto is jamming (corrupting) the unit(s)!! I have had Homelink mirrors in my last three autos (inc present 2015 CX-5) and never had an issue programming any of them...I guess the dealer will have to sort it out (if they can...)..

Hmmm...I wonder if the ground for your Mirror may be getting current from a short somewhere?? My unit came with the auto and was not installed by the dealership!
Good luck and plz report back if they figure it out.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 2015 Mazda CX5 in December 2014 and had the mazda auto-dimming mirror installed by the dealership before I picked it up. The auto dimming function has always worked without any problems but the homelink garage door programming functionality has never worked (when you depress and hold the any button the LED is supposed to flash red, but it just stays green). The dealership has replaced the mirror once and the homelink still does not work on a new mirror. They've even installed my original mirror into another CX-5 and it worked fine in that car.

The dealership is still in the process of figuring out what is going on but I thought I'd ask you guys to see if anyone might have any idea how to get the thing to work.

Thanks!

Had homelink dealer installed in 2014 GS, dimming worked but not the remote part. Turned out Mazda had an incorrect harness behind the scenes to hookup to the home link mirror. My dealership had to re do the harness themselves to get the remote part working.

Cheers,
Chris

Had homelink dealer installed in 2014 GS, dimming worked but not the remote part. Turned out Mazda had an incorrect harness behind the scenes to hookup to the home link mirror. My dealership had to re do the harness themselves to get the remote part working.

Cheers,
Chris

I'm going to give my dealership a call on Monday and convey this information. When you say harness do you mean the plastic clip that all the wires are bundled into that snaps into the mirror? I'm hoping this information solves my issue!

Count me in the positive column!

Like Kedis82ZE8, my last few Homelink built-in openers have been just fine, including the present 2015 oem cx-5 which is Garage door only. Had a 2011 Hyundai Tuxcon w/compass + garage door that was dealer installed, I do not think there is any difference, since they were both made by Gentex!

I do find it interesting that Mazda does not offer the combination mirror w, compass though.

My Homelink doesnt work on one of my garage doors. But i found out it was because newer garage doors have better security which isnt compatible with Homelink's without buying an additional module. Yay for them finding an excuse to get even more $$ from people.

Animated Homelink Directions!

My Homelink doesnt work on one of my garage doors. But i found out it was because newer garage doors have better security which isnt compatible with Homelink's without buying an additional module. Yay for them finding an excuse to get even more $$ from people.

Here is a Link to the OFFICIAL Homelink page for programming, all the way to RESETTING...includes directions s specific to models as well!!!
http://www.homelink.com/program w

Last edited:

chriscabob's saying is creditable. There was a forum member MikePlaysGuitar having major electrical problem on his 2015 CX-5. It turned out to be wiring harness issue from auto-dimming mirror:

Need help contacting Mazda Engineering for a warranty repair
Hi all. Sorry it's been so long to update this. So, here is the final outcome.

Turns out that the 2015 had the HomeLink auto dimming rear mirror installed as a factory option. When the cars arrive at port, the mirror is installed there. Apparently a factory auto-dimming mirror has a slightly different wiring harness than one that is bought aftermarket even though they look and function identically. A factory auto-dimming mirror requires that a connector be removed from the wiring harness first before installation at the port. If it's aftermarket, the connector stays on the harness. Supposedly the installers at the port apparently forgot to remove this connector and since it was a factory installed mirror there was a bad electrical connection that was intermittent and caused the whole dashboard to go haywire.

So, that's the end of that story. Thanks to all for your comments to the thread. Take care,
Mike

Home link works for me on my 2016, but the auto dimming mirror doesn't seem to work at all. The green and red buttons work but I see no difference at night time when its on and off. Should I??

Home link works for me on my 2016, but the auto dimming mirror doesn't seem to work at all. The green and red buttons work but I see no difference at night time when its on and off. Should I??

Yes you should see a difference if someone is following you with their headlights on at night. If there is just ambient night lighting I see no difference. When headlights get relatively close behind me, the image dims and gets a slight greenish cast. My center indicator light is green when auto dimming is turned on. It works well for me.

Yep, Think it has to do with Rolling codes...

But like i said. Not all are compatible. They know all about it. In which case you have to buy a HomeLink Repeater. I had to purchase one myself to get my older Homelink to link up to my new overhead door.
Agreed...

Since there seem to be a lot of questions about Homelink lately,, I thought the guide would be a good item to have as time goes by, thus the post!

Just got back from the dealership. They looked at the harness as mentioned in this thread and got the homelink to work! It blinks red now.
Thanks so much for your help!

Back