2015 CX-5 Timing Chain Cover Leak and Belt Tensioner Issue?

anyman

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Recently started doing my own oil changes on my 2015 CX5 GT (95k miles) and noticed what I believe is the infamous timing chain cover leak. From reading about it, if my oil levels aren't dropping then it's more a monitor-and-check situation vs. just getting it repaired.

The car is always 1/2 quart low every 5k oil change since its had maybe 30k miles and has held steady since so I don't believe the leak is more than a dribble. I didn't notice any oil on the oil pan. I still need to remove some of the plastic shielding to see if it's dripping down the block but I don't smell any burning oil.

Judging from the picture and from me feeling around the area, the majority of the gunk is dirt/belt material. It's fairly dry overall with just a hint of wetness under the gunk in a couple of places. I'm not an expert here but that would tell me the leak is minimal...right?

The other issue this has caused is I can't tell if my belt tensioner is leaking or not. Due to the timing chain cover leak the black stuff I'm seeing on the tensioner just looks like belt material stuck on from the nearby oil leak. I don't feel any oil leaking on the tensioner itself. If the tensioner is leaking would I see/feel oil leaking from under the rubber cap?

At any rate, just looking for some advice from those experienced with this. I can replace the tensioner if needed but the timing chain cover issue is going to be expensive. I plan on selling the car in the next 20k miles or so.

Attachments

• tempImage9pPniI.png
    tempImage9pPniI.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 166
Nah, brake cleaner isn't a good choice for the engine bay. The chemicals used in the brake cleaner would be pretty harsh on plastic stuff.

I would just use a foamy engine cleaner (I usually use the Walmart house brand but "gunk" brand or whatever. Use a toothbrush to work it around and let it soak in for a bit. I spray it off with the garden hose. I do the whole engine compartment.

I don't take time to "cover" any electronic stuff or harnesses but I try not to blast the ECM and such with the garden hose too hard.

You can blow things dry with the leaf blower if you have one or just go for a drive and heat the motor up.

Nah, brake cleaner isn't a good choice for the engine bay. The chemicals used in the brake cleaner would be pretty harsh on plastic stuff.

I would just use a foamy engine cleaner (I usually use the Walmart house brand but "gunk" brand or whatever. Use a toothbrush to work it around and let it soak in for a bit. I spray it off with the garden hose. I do the whole engine compartment.

I don't take time to "cover" any electronic stuff or harnesses but I try not to blast the ECM and such with the garden hose too hard.

You can blow things dry with the leaf blower if you have one or just go for a drive and heat the motor up.
Thanks so much for the info. I actually need to clean the engine bay in general so maybe I’ll just do the whole bay.

Recently started doing my own oil changes on my 2015 CX5 GT (95k miles) and noticed what I believe is the infamous timing chain cover leak. From reading about it, if my oil levels aren't dropping then it's more a monitor-and-check situation vs. just getting it repaired.

The car is always 1/2 quart low every 5k oil change since its had maybe 30k miles and has held steady since so I don't believe the leak is more than a dribble. I didn't notice any oil on the oil pan. I still need to remove some of the plastic shielding to see if it's dripping down the block but I don't smell any burning oil.

Judging from the picture and from me feeling around the area, the majority of the gunk is dirt/belt material. It's fairly dry overall with just a hint of wetness under the gunk in a couple of places. I'm not an expert here but that would tell me the leak is minimal...right?

The other issue this has caused is I can't tell if my belt tensioner is leaking or not. Due to the timing chain cover leak the black stuff I'm seeing on the tensioner just looks like belt material stuck on from the nearby oil leak. I don't feel any oil leaking on the tensioner itself. If the tensioner is leaking would I see/feel oil leaking from under the rubber cap?

At any rate, just looking for some advice from those experienced with this. I can replace the tensioner if needed but the timing chain cover issue is going to be expensive. I plan on selling the car in the next 20k miles or so.
At 95k miles on your 2015 CX-5 GT you plan to keep it for only another 20K miles, you shouldn’t worry about the timing chain cover leak / seepage. Clean the area or engine bay up as suggested, and just keep your eyes on the timing chain cover seepage and serpentine belt tensioner leak You may want to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner if it started having the rattling noise.

At 95k miles on your 2015 CX-5 GT you plan to keep it for only another 20K miles, you shouldn’t worry about the timing chain cover leak / seepage. Clean the area or engine bay up as suggested, and just keep your eyes on the timing chain cover seepage and serpentine belt tensioner leak You may want to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner if it started having the rattling noise.
Thanks @yrwei52 Yeah, I think we’ll only have the car another 1 1/2 to 2 years. I’d obviously disclose the leak to the new buyer but I’d rather leave the decision to fix it up to the new owner vs. doing it now.

Regarding the tensioner, will there be actual oil leaking from under the rubber cap? I felt it and I don’t feel any actual oil.

Thanks @yrwei52 Yeah, I think we’ll only have the car another 1 1/2 to 2 years. I’d obviously disclose the leak to the new buyer but I’d rather leave the decision to fix it up to the new owner vs. doing it now.

Regarding the tensioner, will there be actual oil leaking from under the rubber cap? I felt it and I don’t feel any actual oil.
Here was my tensioner looked like at 41,150 miles:

6D31B5A9-1766-430C-B8C7-3A7D0764EB4B.jpeg

If yours looks wet under the rubber cap like mine, it’s leaking. There’s very little thick oil in the belt tensioner. You won’t see any oil dripping like the engine oil.

Here was my tensioner looked like at 41,150 miles:

View attachment 322344

If yours looks wet under the rubber cap like mine, it’s leaking. There’s very little thick oil in the belt tensioner. You won’t see any oil dripping like the engine oil.
I do know I need to swap out my serpentine belt so maybe I'll just change the tensioner to be safe. I'm like 80% sure the tensioner is also leaking. I can pick OEM serpentine belt, water pump belt and tensioner for $212 or so on eBay.

I did some further investigating and the wettest area is right where the leak is pointed out in the TSB. Right above the mount for the alternator. And even that spot wasn't dripping wet. Definitely some wetness but A LOT of just dirt/gunk. I checked the backside of the engine where the other area prone to leaking was pointed out in the TSB and it's dry.

Total bummer this is happening but I guess it could've been worse.

Back