2015 CX-5 Paint Mottling on Meteor Gray Mica

I found a major swirl correction attempt on my pearl white hood with a touch up spot in the middle. Never noticed it at PDI. Didn't discover it for almost a week but can't notice it most of the time unless I look at a specific angle with low light. Guess I am stuck with it now....and it is definelty not the mottling your talking about but DISO on a touch up.

So I went and had the dealership pull an identical CX-5 over for comparison. The hood on that one didn't display the mottling to the degree my hood is showing it but it had a large windshield-to-front grill band right down the middle of the hood going on in the metallic layer. The consensus is that no paint is perfect (obviously) and to keep my eye on it for any weirdness as it's covered under warranty. The good thing is that he and the service guy could see these anomalies in the paint (they weren't playing dumb for their sake). He said if it bothers me enough they can have a Mazda rep come and check it out. I'm giving it some time...maybe I won't care in a month...maybe.

One more thing I thought I'd add. I was comparing my dad's '09 Acura TSX against my CX-5 because they're similar colors. His hood exhibits banding stripes horizontally across the hood. This is in the base coat gray. So that goes to show you how imperfect a robotic paint job can be. His are harder to see because you have to move your eyes vertically against the hood (nobody would ever really view it from that angle) but they're there and they're fairly visible.

Latest posts

Back