2014 Mazda CX-9

nlm74

Has anyone heard about release date and potential changes for the 2014 model? I'm in the middle of negotiations on a 2013 CX-9 GT w/tech package (white) and my two lowest bids are $32,500 (at a dealer quite far from me) and $33,700 (locally); these prices are minus a $299 doc fee, taxes and reg. I'm wondering if I wait till 2014s come out, if they'll be able to drop down prices more.....

Thanks in advance!

Not sure but my advice is to wait. There may be some minor enhancements but more importantly bug fixes. For some reasons these 13 models seem to be plauged with problems I have no idea why. Why would a 13 have more tranny problems than a say 10 model I dunno but it seems to be happening.

Not sure but my advice is to wait. There may be some minor enhancements but more importantly bug fixes. For some reasons these 13 models seem to be plauged with problems I have no idea why. Why would a 13 have more tranny problems than a say 10 model I dunno but it seems to be happening.

Hmmm, I haven't heard that about the 13's. Good to know, but there's no way I'd be able to get a 2014 for the prices above. Should I go with the 2012 then? I was quoted at between $28-30k new 2012 GT with Tech package. I just kinda like the look of the 2013 better....

28 for fully loaded 12 vs 35 or so for a fully loaded 13. I dunno how your money is but that is a lot of money just for a different year model. On the otherhand, the front end of the 10-12 looks girly and cheap. 13 has nicer seat suede/leather combo and frond and rear end look pretty good. If you can afford it, my vote is 13.

Thanks I'm pretty decided on the 2013 GT w/tech package. Best price I've got so far is $35k out the door, but I'm wondering is if I should wait for the 2014's so I could maybe get a deeper discount on the 2013's. How much more are they discounted on average? I can't find anything on the web.

Hmmmm, to wait or jump head first? I know they'll be revealed at a show in October, so I'm assuming they'll hit lots in November/December....?

Thanks I'm pretty decided on the 2013 GT w/tech package. Best price I've got so far is $35k out the door, but I'm wondering is if I should wait for the 2014's so I could maybe get a deeper discount on the 2013's. How much more are they discounted on average? I can't find anything on the web.

It's a roll of the dice. Once the '14s hit the lot, what you are looking for may be gone. But---$35 OTD just doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

$35 OTD just doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

You think?
$33.7 is the lowest I can get from anyone for a 2013 Grand Touring w/tech package, white. I'm in MA and I've talked to about 8 dealers in my area but also in RI and CT. No one's dealing and no one's lowering. All the other dealers I've spoke to come in at $35-$37 and no one is budging. You would think they would be dying to get these cars out since 2014's will be rolling out shortly. I don't know what's going on or I'm obviously a terrible negotiator......

You think?
$33.7 is the lowest I can get from anyone for a 2013 Grand Touring w/tech package, white. I'm in MA and I've talked to about 8 dealers in my area but also in RI and CT. No one's dealing and no one's lowering. All the other dealers I've spoke to come in at $35-$37 and no one is budging. You would think they would be dying to get these cars out since 2014's will be rolling out shortly. I don't know what's going on or I'm obviously a terrible negotiator......

I felt pretty good about $36k OTD White GT w/ Tech, Roof Rails and all weather mats here in KS. Not to mention 0% for 60. Sticker was $39805 I think.

Last edited:
I just got a 2013 brochure at a dealer and so far the 2013 and 2014 do not appear any different. There may be some details I've overlooked so plan to check again when more info is available. Waiting for a deeper discount on a 2013 will mean far fewer choices as time goes by.

I have decided to wait until next August to get a deal on a 2014 since it is rumored the 2015 will be a major change which may mean even deeper discounts on the 2014.

Thanks Grey!

That's good plan, see if I waited for the 2014's I would be tempted to wait for the remodeled 2015! And, unfortunately with my growing family I need something now. I'm now wondering how much more the 2013's will be discounted once the 2014's come out. We talking thousands, or A thousand. (crazy)

Really tough to predict. Expect at least $3,000 off list if not more. Check www.cardirect.com to see what a broker price might be. Also CostCo if you are a member. Know the best price before walking into a dealer. I hate buying a car these days because often having to deal with a "closer" who is different from the so called salesman(person). The last car we purchased was such a hassle my wife had a headache before we left.

Thanks again Grey. VERY helpful.

I went in to a dealer to test drive the car, but have been wheeling and dealing with everyone over the phone. I've been dealing with multiple salesman at each dealer, but mostly just the sales managers. I'm cutting right to the chase with these guys, and basically saying I'm prepared to buy and this is what I'll pay. That being said, it's definitely a headache.

According to truecar $35.5 is reasonable for this car at this time, so I guess my $33.7 price is pretty ok. Now I just have to figure if I should wait or not. I'm definitely not married to white, but I definitely do want a GT w/tech package......

If you know what you want and have a price you think is reasonable, waiting can sometimes mean a missed opportunity which I have experienced in the past. Your approach is good. I did buy a truck one time by sitting down with a list of AAA dealers doing what you did. I am ready to buy so tell me your best price. Worked but it took a few hours.

Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:
I highly suggest to deal with an internet sales manager via e-mail to negotiate the final price and DO NOT deal with traditional salesmen. The internet sales manager can do a test-drive with you and then negotiate via e-mail for the final actual price of the car. I have purchased two Mazdas from different dealers that way and it was very smooth both times, and both times they e-mailed me the OTD number that I was happy with and that I ended up writing on the actual check to drive off the lot, not a penny more. There was absolutely no stress in both cases because I negotiated beforehand exactly what I will be getting and exactly how much I will be paying. The only time I tried to deal with a regular sales person it was a disaster that I had to walk away from and will never, never deal with again.

NSBIO

That's exactly what I have been doing. I didn't want to have any in store interaction and wanted very limited phone conversations. I can't even believe the level of unprofessional-ism from some of them though, and they're the sales managers!
The last email communication I had from a very unpleasant sales manager was
It looks like you will never know if we can't beat the price since you don't want to come in with your quote from the other dealer
This response came after I so kindly declined his invitation to meet (so I could bring him my "legitimate" quote from another dealer), explaining that I rather not go through the hassle of finding care for my children and driving an hour away if they can't beat the price.
Needless to say even if they were giving the car away for free I would now never even CONSIDER buying from them.

You think?

But your deal is $1300 lower than $35000. $33.7 certainly is a great deal normally. In Sept of the next model year, I'd think you could get them lower, but I guess not. $33.7 is lower than I bought my GT (essentially with all the same options as the Tech Pkg--they just didn't call it that then) 18 months ago.

I highly suggest to deal with an internet sales manager via e-mail to negotiate the final price and DO NOT deal with traditional salesmen. The internet sales manager can do a test-drive with you and then negotiate via e-mail for the final actual price of the car. I have purchased two Mazdas from different dealers that way and it was very smooth both times, and both times they e-mailed me the OTD number that I was happy with and that I ended up writing on the actual check to drive off the lot, not a penny more. There was absolutely no stress in both cases because I negotiated beforehand exactly what I will be getting and exactly how much I will be paying. The only time I tried to deal with a regular sales person it was a disaster that I had to walk away from and will never, never deal with again.

I don't totally agree with this--it depends on the dealer. Some dealers I have dealt with, the internet sales force is definitely not as qualified as the in person sales people. Use Truecar, get a great price, reach out to as many dealers as you possibly can (use a 50-100 mile radius), and find the best price. The others will shake out as to whether they will get your business.

Back