2014 GT bluetooth stopped working... how to factory reset?

neilw

:
2014 CX5 GT AWD
The bluetooth on my wife's 2014 Grand Touring just stopped working, completely. When pushing the phone button on the steering wheel, the display says "bluetooth system starting up" for a few seconds and then goes away, but nothing ever starts up.

I believe this is a good time for a factory reset. Are there instructions how to do it somewhere?

Go into setup and delete the paired phone, then re pair it.
If that doesn't work, unplug the battery for a few minutes, plug it back in and the Infotainment system will do a complete reboot, re-pair your phone after that.

Go into setup and delete the paired phone, then re pair it.
If that doesn't work, unplug the battery for a few minutes, plug it back in and the Infotainment system will do a complete reboot, re-pair your phone after that.

Thanks. Since I can't even get to the bluetooth setup screen, I guess I'll try the battery disconnect and see what happens.

Dealer did the batter disconnect, factory reset and problem solved. Annoying to have to program in all the radio stations again, oh well. Hope this doesn't happen too often...

Dealer did the batter disconnect, factory reset and problem solved. Annoying to have to program in all the radio stations again, oh well. Hope this doesn't happen too often...

I would have pulled out the fuse instead of disconnecting the battery. But disconnecting the battery other things will reset, like the TPMS and iStop function.

I disconnected the vehicle battery and reconnected it ~ 3 minutes later. Reset the radio stations and tried to pair the Droid to the Mazda but, still failed. Other suggestions? Ed

Called the BlueTooth help line and all is good. I could have spend another 2 frustrating hours and never found the problem. The technican found the problem in 45 seconds or so. Great people who know they equipment. Ed

Called the BlueTooth help line and all is good. I could have spend another 2 frustrating hours and never found the problem. The technican found the problem in 45 seconds or so. Great people who know they equipment. Ed

So what was the issue?

My problem was with my phone. I had to click on BlueTooth in the setup field icon and make sure Mazda was there.

The bluetooth on my wife's 2014 Grand Touring just stopped working, completely. When pushing the phone button on the steering wheel, the display says "bluetooth system starting up" for a few seconds and then goes away, but nothing ever starts up.

I believe this is a good time for a factory reset. Are there instructions how to do it somewhere?

--

Our new 2015 CX-5 GT FWD is doing the exact same thing. Phone worked fine for a couple of months, the "bluetooth is starting up" problem started a week or so ago. Guess I'll try the battery disconnect tip also, unless I can figure out how to easily get to the related fuse.

Thanks Neil,
WiNoJoE

I have a samsung galaxy s4 and it does not work at all for text messaging. When a text message comes in it asks to download message now or later. When I select download now I get a message saying it failed and to try again later. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a samsung galaxy s4 and it does not work at all for text messaging. When a text message comes in it asks to download message now or later. When I select download now I get a message saying it failed and to try again later. Has anyone else had this problem?

Since I've had my 2014 CX-5 (Feb 2013 mfg date), I've had an HTC ONE, Nexus 4, Nexus 5.
Running latest stock Android 4.4.2, and even CM11 ROM. The SMS function has never worked, I ended up disabling it after resetting the bluetooth pairing, so I don't get those annoying popups.

Where do you disable it? Phone side or HU?

When you first pair the phone and it tries to download messages, on the phone i get a pop up asking to allow or deny and remember the setting, i deny it and remember the setting.

When you first pair the phone and it tries to download messages, on the phone i get a pop up asking to allow or deny and remember the setting, i deny it and remember the setting.

Just curious, does denying message and/or contacts sync allow the phone to connect faster? I only really want to use the bluetooth for music and to receive calls if necessary.

Last edited:
Just curious, does denying message and/or contacts sync allow the phone to connect faster? I only really want to use the bluetooth for music and to receive calls if necessary.

I have an Android phone, I've never had any issues with the Bluetooth connecting to my many Android phones. Takes 10-15 seconds to connect.
So I can't really answer your question.
Seems like the issue are mostly iOS devices.

I have an Android phone, I've never had any issues with the Bluetooth connecting to my many Android phones. Takes 10-15 seconds to connect.
So I can't really answer your question. Seems like the issue are mostly iOS devices.

I'm also an Android guy. I have a Galaxy Note 3 now that takes up to 30 seconds to connect, and I'm wondering if it's because it's constantly downloading my contacts when I start the car as it tends to display the "Reading bluetooth data..." message for a while. My old phone was a Galaxy Nexus that I had all ROM'ed out with CM and other 4.4.2 AOSP builds, but even that would take a while to connect. However, I was able to get the messaging to work properly with that device and CM.

Last edited:
So I went from a BB Z30 to a Droid Samsung Note 3 - stock (no rooting, no rom, just plain jane) and bluetooth just switches to pause when playing music, it switches without any input from myself and I need to once again hit the screen to play, it also has no option for playlist.... <sigh> it just does not work, it is impossible to get anything but 8-track... MP3 files on a CD (not DVD) is the ONLY thing that works... This is really 2014 is it? I mean I did not wake up in 1995 did I? Completely waste of money - will start shopping for a 2DIN unit that works with the GS model.

So I went from a BB Z30 to a Droid Samsung Note 3 - stock (no rooting, no rom, just plain jane) and bluetooth just switches to pause when playing music, it switches without any input from myself and I need to once again hit the screen to play, it also has no option for playlist.... <sigh> it just does not work, it is impossible to get anything but 8-track... MP3 files on a CD (not DVD) is the ONLY thing that works... This is really 2014 is it? I mean I did not wake up in 1995 did I? Completely waste of money - will start shopping for a 2DIN unit that works with the GS model.

Which music app are you using to play via bluetooth? The behavior you describe only occurs to me occasionally, always when another app requests audio and pauses the music. I never experience this when playing audio with Google Play Music, however.

Latest posts

Back